Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Changing My Training for New Goals

Hey guys,

I’m still a skinny runt, but I’ve progressed to the point where I’m satisfied with some of my body parts and my overall mass. My two goals now are to cut the bodyfat I gained while bulking and to modify my workouts to improve my lagging body parts (biceps, triceps, calves). Is it possible to accomplish both of these at once or do I need to focus on one at a time? I’m an ectomorph and it seems much easier for me to get lean then it is to gain and hold mass. I’ve focused on bulking for the last couple of years and during this time I’ve only walked for cardio. I recently tried adding cardio for 3 days per week for 30 minutes per day at 55% of my maximum heart rate. My bodyfat did begin to go down, but I noticed that I lacked my usual “oomph” in the gym and I wasn’t able to “blast through” the end of my sets like I was when I was only walking. I want to cut the bodyfat I’ve gained, but I’m concerned that I won’t be able to improve my lagging body parts while doing cardio this way. My diet is already as clean as I can see to make it. Any advice about how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    cgandenb1

Originally posted by cgandenb1
    Hey guys,

I’m still a skinny runt, but I’ve progressed to the point where I’m satisfied with some of my body parts and my overall mass.

Most of us will never be completely satisfied with our bodies...

My two goals now are to cut the bodyfat I gained while bulking and to modify my workouts to improve my lagging body parts (biceps, triceps, calves). Is it possible to accomplish both of these at once or do I need to focus on one at a time?

Yes...

I’m an ectomorph and it seems much easier for me to get lean then it is to gain and hold mass.

This is somewhat of an oxymoron in comparison to the rest of your post...

I’ve focused on bulking for the last couple of years and during this time I’ve only walked for cardio. I recently tried adding cardio for 3 days per week for 30 minutes per day at 55% of my maximum heart rate.

If you have to do anything more than walk to get your heart rate at 55% max then you are an incredible specimen...

Stick with walking - the only other thing that you would need to throw in as a last resort is an occasional sprint session but walking should be enough...

My bodyfat did begin to go down, but I noticed that I lacked my usual “oomph” in the gym and I wasn’t able to “blast through” the end of my sets like I was when I was only walking.

What time of the day do you train - what does your diet look like - when do you do cardio in relationship to your training...

I want to cut the bodyfat I’ve gained, but I’m concerned that I won’t be able to improve my lagging body parts while doing cardio this way.

It is very difficult but you can accentuate them enough to "improve" them...

My diet is already as clean as I can see to make it.

Let's see it...

Any advice about how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Let's see your diet bro...

Thank you,
    cgandenb1
    See above...

Comment

When I was doing cardio 3 days per week for 30 minutes per day I was doing the cardio at 9:30ish in the morning on an empty stomach. I would lift at around 4:00 PM or 7:00 PM, but usually at 7:00 PM. When I began doing the cardio I aimed to go at 70% of my maximum heart rate on an exercise bike. Going at that level was a like a sprint! I have a decent background in aerobic training (I ran track in college) and I could hardly even catch my feet up with the pedals. I don’t know if there was a problem with the heart rate monitor I was using, but I doubt anyone could sustain a 70% heart rate the way that monitor was measuring it. Going at 55% of my maximum heart rate was not very intense, but with that heart rate monitor it was definitely more intense then a walk.

Here's my diet:

Daily Totals: 3,607 calories, 282g carbs, 338g protein, 111g fat

Meal 1: 613 calories, 47g carbs, 61g protein, 18g fat
      1.25 cups hulled barley
      6.5 oz chicken
      2 teaspoons + ½ teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon EFA
      4 grams CLA

Meal 2: 574 calories, 47g carbs, 47 g protein, 19g fat
      1.25 cups hulled barley
      5.25 oz grilled ostrich (a lean red meat)
      2 teaspoons + ½ teaspoon EFA
      4 grams CLA

Meal 3: 613 calories, 47g carbs, 61g protein, 18g fat
      1.25 cups hulled barley
      6.5 oz chicken
      4 grams CLA

Meal 4: 613 calories, 47g carbs, 61g protein, 18g fat
      1.25 cups hulled barley
      6.5 oz chicken
      4 grams CLA

Meal 5: 574 calories, 47g carbs, 47 g protein, 19g fat
      1.25 cups hulled barley
      5.25 oz grilled ostrich (a lean red meat)
      2 teaspoons + ½ teaspoon EFA
      4 grams CLA

Meal 6: 620 calories, 47g carbs, 61g protein, 19g fat
      1.25 cups hulled barley
      6.5 oz chicken
      1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon EFA

Wow, in writing this post I’ve realized how sloppy I’ve gotten in putting together my diets. At a minimum I need to even out my protein so that its the same in every meal.
      Last edited by cgandenb1; 02-09-06, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X