Overtrained and hurt joints. Thoughts on new workout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtrained and hurt joints. Thoughts on new workout

I know that I overtrained and hurt my shoulder joints. Iwas getting super strong and making good gains so I figured why stop a good thing. Now I'm going to have to pay for it. I was doing:

Chest/ tris: Monday and thursday
    Shoulder/back: Tuesday and friday
    Legs: wednesday
    Bis: wednesday and saturday

I was doing legs once a week because they were starting to get wait to big.
    lately my joints hurt when i do any kind of chest pressing exercise; right where the chest and shoulder connect. Someone told me it might be some microfibers also. So i figured that I'm not giving it enough time to rest between workouts. I got some supplements for my joints and plan to lay off the chest for two weeks, but also i'm want to change my workout split; here is what i was thinking.

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Back
    Wednesday: legs
    Thursday:Shoulder
    Friday: arms
    Saturday: Abs

Since I'm only going to be hitting each muscle once a week (I know tri get worked when you do any pressing movements) I figured i do 9-12 sets for each muscle heavy but able to do 8 reps.

Any imput would be deeply appreciated. Anyone experience a similar injury? Any suggestions on exercises I can do for my chance while i recover? Also what do you guys think about my planned workout? Again criticsm off any kind would be deeply appreciated. :hmmm:

• Training experience
    • Stats
    • Goals

Based on the information you have given I do not like that approach. I am sure there will be a handful who would disagree with the advice I am about to give.

I suggest an undulating approach. Instead of setting in stone “9-12 sets/muscle @ reps” adjust it to fit to your body type. For instance, I tend to focus the majority of my attention on compound movements. Bench, dead lifts and A2G squats all follow the 5x5 method. Strength and size have increased tremendously.

Your previous program had you training biceps 2x a week, and now you have a entire day dedicated to arms. I suggest you rid arm work for the next three weeks to allow a chance for greater recovery, and on certain days add it in as a accessory exercise where you can focus on either biceps or triceps 3x10-15.

Tweak up your diet to make sure you are getting enough nutrients to ensure proper recovery.

What supplements are you taking?
    Glucosamine & Chondroitin and Cit M would be great additions.
    Last edited by slayer of souls; 03-20-06, 06:07 PM.

Comment

So if I do the 5x5 method would that apply to only my core lifts or also to things like db bench or straight bar curls.? Also does hitting the muscle once a week really allow you to grow more? I've never trained like this and afraid i'll be waisting time, but i can imagine having more energy each week.

Comment

Working...
      X