long question but need so advise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long question but need so advise.

i have had a hip flexor injury for like 5 months (i reinjured it at 2 months) i was able to do light leg presses and leg ex. and i felt it was time for squats. first week i only went to 225 no problems did it again the next week no problems. so i went to 315 no real problem but my knee was a lil sore. same thing the next week 315 just a sore knee no big deal. so i decided to goto 405 i got a sore and swolen knee iced it and took motrien(sp?) swellin went down so i did 405 again. same thing so i iced again. i figured i was ok went to 455 and now my knee really bothers me bad i cant even do leg extensions. i must add all sets were 8 or more reps i never tryed to max out.

did i go up to fast or am i just gettin old (38yrs) cuzz even on heavy bench my elbows hurt. is it time to just maintain and not try to push so hard or did i just come back to fast? thanks for you time in reading this and for your help.

I'd say it's a bit of both...at 38 you won't feel quite as fresh as you did at 18 the day after a strenuous workout, and, of course, old injuries die hard. I'd say definitely wrap. One of my buddies says his $15 investment in knee wraps is one of the best he's EVER made...good luck

Comment

It's definatly both. You are getting older and your joints are wearing down. On top of the the GH could have a slight carpel tunnel effect making it more painful. Most likely your joints are just too worn down now for the heavier weight. Get some wraps.

Comment

do any of you have a link for some knee wraps? i wouldnt know what kind to get. thanks!

Comment

so you only took 4 weeks to get back to 445? I just want to make sure the time frame is correct. I would not use any type of supports at all, its basically creates and furthers an already weak spot. its better to start slow and add weights by 10 and 20 (for leg exercises). also I have really sore knees sometimes so I do this and it really seems to help me keep pain away and strengthen a weak spot. stand up against a wall. now you are gonna basically replicate a smith squat action as your feet will be placed out in front of you. go down to the parallel position with your back supported on the wall. now just "sit" in that parallel position and try to hold it for about a minute or more. Your feet will be about 2 and 1/2 feet away from the wall and should make a right angle at the knee. repeat just once the first time, do it about 3 times a week to start and after that do it for 2 sets for as long as you can hold it (max three minutes I would think). maybe drop it down to twice a week after a few weeks and see how they feel. but definetly take it easy on anything heavy in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecold54
            so you only took 4 weeks to get back to 445? I just want to make sure the time frame is correct. I would not use any type of supports at all, its basically creates and furthers an already weak spot. its better to start slow and add weights by 10 and 20 (for leg exercises). also I have really sore knees sometimes so I do this and it really seems to help me keep pain away and strengthen a weak spot. stand up against a wall. now you are gonna basically replicate a smith squat action as your feet will be placed out in front of you. go down to the parallel position with your back supported on the wall. now just "sit" in that parallel position and try to hold it for about a minute or more. Your feet will be about 2 and 1/2 feet away from the wall and should make a right angle at the knee. repeat just once the first time, do it about 3 times a week to start and after that do it for 2 sets for as long as you can hold it (max three minutes I would think). maybe drop it down to twice a week after a few weeks and see how they feel. but definetly take it easy on anything heavy in the meantime.
            7th week i went to 455lbs. should i start what you posted right away or let my knee rest a week or so?

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKETW19
              7th week i went to 455lbs. should i start what you posted right away or let my knee rest a week or so?
              let them rest a a few days. I actually did mine while they still hurt and it still helped but rest never hurt anyone.

Comment

Working...
              X