standing military presses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• standing military presses

are they harder than seated mil. presses for anyone? I didn't have a spotter, and I didn't like reaching back to get the bar when it was on the rack, so I went to the squatting rack and pressed from there...and it was a lot harder...am I imagining things?

I'm not exactly talking 275 lbs for 8 reps...thanks though, I try to keep a feel for it, I once pulled a muscle and had pretty bad back spasms from standing presses overhead, so I'm overly conscious of it now

Comment

standing is much more difficult and dangerous and doesnt really add any benefit to your shoulder workout. its harder because you have no lumbar support from a chair so you have to use a lot energy to stay up straight. Imagine doing seated DB presses on a flat bench rather than a chair....

Comment

the reason I switched to standing is that when I don't have a spotter, it's hard to reach all the way back and take the weight off the stack...I guess I'll use a Smith machine

Comment

Definitely harder, but good to do now and again, I know what you mean about reaching back when seated, it sometimes feels like my elbow is gonna split, whats worse is if you have done chest a couple days before eeek!

Comment

I love standing military presses. Or "Push presses" where you sort of cheat the weight up by bending and straightening your knees. I used to be able to lift quite a bit on those. For some reason I like to clean the weight off the floor on the first rep instead of using the power rack (at my old gym they would call you a pussy if you used the rack for anything but squats). Definitely wear a belt though. That's probably my favorite shoulder exercise.

Comment

I like push presses a lot too...the other thing is, I use dumbbells a whole lot more than barbells for shoulder presses, so I "feel" weak with the bar, but again, maybe that's in my head too

Comment

When I unrack the bar for seated military, I bring my back off the chair, where my upperback/shoulders are pressing on the seat, then lift it like an incline press, bring it over me and then sit back down in the seat properly.

I don't like the idea of standing press'. The benifit dosn't out weigh the risk by a long shot. Plus if something happend and your knee or ankle gave out, it's going to be very hard to keep that weight from coming down on you. This is a perfect example of "More complicated isn't better". If you were powerlifting and training for a Strong Man comp, then I could see a possible reason to do it.
                Last edited by Shibby; 03-30-06, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
                  When I unrack the bar for seated military, I bring my back off the chair, where my upperback/shoulders are pressing on the seat, then lift it like an incline press, bring it over me and then sit back down in the seat properly.

I don't like the idea of standing press'. The benifit dosn't out weigh the risk by a long shot. Plus if something happend and your knee or ankle gave out, it's going to be very hard to keep that weight from coming down on you. This is a perfect example of "More complicated isn't better". If you were powerlifting and training for a Strong Man comp, then I could see a possible reason to do it.
                  Shib, I tried that, but I'm a little worried about hurting myself, or using a bunch of energy to unrack the weight...it's still a weird-feeling angle, but I did try that. If I had a spotter, I'd just have him/her do it

Comment

It is nice to have a spottter, but I guess I have just worked out by myself for so long I have found the perfect way to do it for me. That was my only idea :)

Comment

Working...
                    X