Faster 1 mile and 40 yard run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster 1 mile and 40 yard run?

This is a continuation of another thread. What would be a reasonable but difficult amount a time someones 1 mile run and 40 yard can be reduced, by August?

I think it's so much a function of the starting point, both from the perspective of the person's shape and the starting time, that it's hard to say. For me, it was really easy to go from a nearly 9minute mile to nearly 5minute miles. But it wouldn't be easy for everybody due to natural genetics and body type. That's almost a 50% reduction in time, but somebody that is at a 6-minute mile obviously couldn't get to a 3 or 3.5minute mile. I think for the coach to set individual goals might be the only realistic way of setting each persons mark by August--there's no way that a % or absolute time is going to work, IMO.
    Think of it as max bench--the change in a given amount of time totally depends on how near one's potential and what the starting figure is.

Comment

True, but it's not the coach setting this stuff up, it's me. He dosn't have a clue, lol. I was thinking that the girl in mention before was doing around a 13min mile. I was thinking like 8 or 9 min? I guess I will just have to see what I think when we test them next week. I want it to be something that they will have to REALLY bust there asses for 3 months.

Comment

oh if she is running a 13 minute mile, she could easily get it down to an 8 minute mile by august.

40 times could be a little tougher. probably can shave .5 a second off of her time assuming it is in the 6+ second range.

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
          somebody that is at a 6-minute mile obviously couldn't get to a 3 or 3.5minute mile.
          I think the world record now is 3:47 or something...

Shib, I think that's a great idea for that girl you were talking about. Instead of a 40 -- or in addition -- what about making her do a shuttle run between cones, like the ones they make college players do at the combine?

I'd say if she's 13 min, trying to get her to break 9 would at least have her doing enough cardio. With the 40, I'd say make her break 5.5

Comment

Your girl can get her 40 yard dash down by using air alert 3. I used air alert 2 when I was like 15/16 and it helped me have my 40 at 4.4. You can download it free some places, plus it only costs 5 dollars.

Comment

maybe the mile but I doubt the forty. i dont think you can teach someone to be fast. either you are or your not.

Comment

Originally posted by rude
                Your girl can get her 40 yard dash down by using air alert 3. I used air alert 2 when I was like 15/16 and it helped me have my 40 at 4.4. You can download it free some places, plus it only costs 5 dollars.
                Rude, not to call you out, but did you really run a 4.4 40 at 15 or 16 years old???

Comment

Originally posted by NYCmitch25
                  maybe the mile but I doubt the forty. i dont think you can teach someone to be fast. either you are or your not.
                  I disagree with this... because we are not talking about being fast or slow, we are talking about improving your time

most people don't have a good running form, arm motion, leg motion, starting, etc... working on good form will definately help improve 40 times

I used have a trainer to help me with my speed when I played soccer, so it's not all about physical ability

5-10-5's (like yankee's said this is kinda like a shuttle run, get her to start in the middle with a cone b/w her legs, turn and run 5 yds, turn and run 10 yds, and then turn and run 5 yds back to the middle)
                  have her sit in front of a mirror and for about 15-30 secs, practice swinging her arms like she was running, elbows at 90 deg angle
                  running in place in front of the mirror for about 30-60 secs to make sure arms and legs move at appropriate and opposite times, right arm comes up with left leg,etc
                  work on exploding off the ground and driving the knees up
                  and definatly work on starting... practice improving 10 yd times

this was some of the stuff I had to do to and it worked

Comment

yeah man... no offense.. but michael vic is a 4.2..... im not saying its impossible, but most people that run a 4.4 are world class athletes.

Originally posted by go Yankees
                    Rude, not to call you out, but did you really run a 4.4 40 at 15 or 16 years old???

Comment

Originally posted by lxorl
                      yeah man... no offense.. but michael vic is a 4.2..... im not saying its impossible, but most people that run a 4.4 are world class athletes.
                      Not true. Most kids coming out of high school are running 4.3 or 4.4 in the 40. The running back for my high school was doing a 4.3 so that's not world class. 4.2 or 4.1 is fast.

Comment

Originally posted by go Yankees
                        No your not calling me out :) I know its hard to believe.

Yes I did, timed by the football coaches......

Their is a big difference between 4.4 and a 4.2/4.3 . I was born being able to run really fast, my vertical was 36 inches, I could touch the basketball rim at that age (I was only 5'6" or so). Even when I was in elementery, I was a bit of a fat kid, and I could sprint past everyone in my schools, the staff coudnt believe it when this chunky kid would out run the fast skinny kids.

If you go and look at my first threads when joining these boards, I did an anavar only cycle to "grow taller" (dumb I know) since a few of the high school coaches really believed I could make it to the nfl if I was taller (at least 5'10, im only 5'8") due to my speed and strength, I became desperate to grow since it was my dream to play in the nfl growing up.

Being naturally fast, then adding specific training to increase my speed (strenth shoes and air alert) helped me get to a 4.4. This last year I was playing flag football in a league down here (lame I know) and I was faster then the majority of the high school star football players without even training for speed in the last year or so.

Comment

^i ran a 4.4 @ 210lbs in college...

Comment

Originally posted by SloppyJo
                            I disagree with this... because we are not talking about being fast or slow, we are talking about improving your time

most people don't have a good running form, arm motion, leg motion, starting, etc... working on good form will definately help improve 40 times

I used have a trainer to help me with my speed when I played soccer, so it's not all about physical ability

5-10-5's (like yankee's said this is kinda like a shuttle run, get her to start in the middle with a cone b/w her legs, turn and run 5 yds, turn and run 10 yds, and then turn and run 5 yds back to the middle)
                            have her sit in front of a mirror and for about 15-30 secs, practice swinging her arms like she was running, elbows at 90 deg angle
                            running in place in front of the mirror for about 30-60 secs to make sure arms and legs move at appropriate and opposite times, right arm comes up with left leg,etc
                            work on exploding off the ground and driving the knees up
                            and definatly work on starting... practice improving 10 yd times

this was some of the stuff I had to do to and it worked
                            thats all great but im sure it didnt make you a superstar. maybe slight diff. if your arent fast to begin with you'll never be... sorry.

edit: ill be a little more blunt. you arnt fast and your coach never made you fast. im talkin in the low 4's not helping someone shave a 1/2 off of a average run.
                            Last edited by NYCmitch25; 04-06-06, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCmitch25
                              thats all great but im sure it didnt make you a superstar. maybe slight diff. if your arent fast to begin with you'll never be... sorry.

edit: ill be a little more blunt. you arnt fast and your coach never made you fast. im talkin in the low 4's not helping someone shave a 1/2 off of a average run.
                              again... read the first post... he's talking about shaving time off your 40, not running a 4.4 - 40... sorry

yea I wasn't a great sprinter, didn't really matter, soccer isn't about sprinting... but I could run 2 miles in under 12mins, and 3 miles in under 20, so it worked out

edit: you think I care about being fast??? I quit playing soccer a long time ago... I'm sure you being fast is really helping you out in life right now too

Comment

Working...
                              X