What is the difference from doing heavy sets and medium range sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference from doing heavy sets and medium range sets

Like Ive seen some of u guys here for cutting use the same routine as to the bulking routine, the only thing is changing diets. The thing I want to know is that if i do a low carb diet high protein, what would happen if i do medium weight reps, lets say for bench i do 315 max, do nly 65-75 percent of that. Is it easier to lose size that way or should I stick to heavy movements to keep size.

The old school traditional thought is the higher the rep range the more definition/cutting is the goal, the lower the rep range the more size/bulking is the goal.

But more and more, it is being advocated that the rep range doesn't matter so much as finding what works for you. If you see results with medium, then go with that, high then do so, low that's your best option. The important thing is that you reach failure enough to shock your body yet not overtrain, and continue to increase reps or weight each time you workout. This becomes difficult if cutting because your losing weight and usually some of that will be muscle. Cutting is based on taking in less calories than you burn, bulking is the opposite, so that is why diet is the key factor in which goal your going to achieve.

So basically, the answer is, stick with what works for you on rep range. Altering rep range won't necessarily produce more cut or definition if your still taking in more cals than your burning, it may just result in less gains (strength and size) because your no longer using the best method for your particular body. It's a genetics thing, some people can do more reps/sets and not overtrain, some can easily overtrain and need to limit sets/reps. Whichever works for you and gives the best results for stength gains should work whether your cutting or bulking. Your diet, whether 40-40-20 or 60-10-30 (p-c-f), would be largly effected by whether or not your cutting cal's by changing your diet, although CKD has been shown to help cut, that is based on keeping the other variables (cal's/ routine) the same. So again, diet IS the key, and rep/set depends on what works for you.

This may not be the specific answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

cm5

Comment

Originally posted by cookmic5
      The old school traditional thought is the higher the rep range the more definition/cutting is the goal, the lower the rep range the more size/bulking is the goal.

But more and more, it is being advocated that the rep range doesn't matter so much as finding what works for you. If you see results with medium, then go with that, high then do so, low that's your best option. The important thing is that you reach failure enough to shock your body yet not overtrain, and continue to increase reps or weight each time you workout. This becomes difficult if cutting because your losing weight and usually some of that will be muscle. Cutting is based on taking in less calories than you burn, bulking is the opposite, so that is why diet is the key factor in which goal your going to achieve.

So basically, the answer is, stick with what works for you on rep range. Altering rep range won't necessarily produce more cut or definition if your still taking in more cals than your burning, it may just result in less gains (strength and size) because your no longer using the best method for your particular body. It's a genetics thing, some people can do more reps/sets and not overtrain, some can easily overtrain and need to limit sets/reps. Whichever works for you and gives the best results for stength gains should work whether your cutting or bulking. Your diet, whether 40-40-20 or 60-10-30 (p-c-f), would be largly effected by whether or not your cutting cal's by changing your diet, although CKD has been shown to help cut, that is based on keeping the other variables (cal's/ routine) the same. So again, diet IS the key, and rep/set depends on what works for you.

This may not be the specific answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

cm5
      yeah thats what i wanted to hear bro. So working out with the weigh that suits me more, feeling comfortable and making gains with. So far Ive been making good gains with heavy weights, I wanted to give medium weight reps a try for bulking but im afraid of losing my size.

Comment

As long as you are providing stress to the muscles to break down tissue and allowing yourself time for recovery.. you wont lose size.

Comment

Working...
        X