Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Study on Neurological Adaptation

: J Strength Cond Res. 2003 Aug;17(3):556-60. Related Articles, Links

Neuromuscular adaptation to short-term (4 weeks) ballistic training in trained high school athletes.

Hammett JB, Hey WT.

Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, Alabama 36265, USA. [email protected]

The effects of a 4-week ballistic training program on neurological adaptation in trained high school athletes was assessed. Thirty-eight senior high school athletes (12 young women and 26 young men) were randomly assigned to either an experimental group (EXP, n = 20) or a control group (CON, n = 18). The only alteration in training was that EXP engaged in a new type of ballistic training over the 4-week experimental period. Measurements included total body weight (TBW), sum of skinfolds (SS), thigh circumference (TC), hip circumference (HC), 36.6-m speed (SP), and vertical jump power (VJP). Data were collected 3 times during the experiment. Results indicated that the ballistic training stimulated a significant improvement in SP in EXP compared with CON, which could not be accounted for by increases in HC or TC in EXP. It was concluded that neurological adaptation does occur in trained athletes when a new training stimulus is implemented.

And another..... I could see an article coming out of these :)

1: J Sports Sci. 2003 May;21(5):419-27. Related Articles, Links

Neural adaptations with sport-specific resistance training in highly skilled athletes.

Judge LW, Moreau C, Burke JR.

Department of Athletics, University of Florida, Gainsville, FL 32611, USA.

The aim of this study was to assess the effects of variations in the volume and intensity of resistance training in highly skilled athletes on neural adaptive mechanisms: the maximality and pattern of neural drive. The maximality of muscle activation was measured using a high-resolution sample and hold amplifier to record interpolated twitches. The pattern of neural drive was measured by analysing isometric torque-time curves and electromyographic (EMG) characteristics during the performance of rapid isometric contractions at maximal effort. The volume and intensity of training were varied at 4-weekly intervals to systematically emphasize the development of strength, power and motor performance in 14 highly skilled track and field athletes (e.g. discus, hammer, javelin, shot put and weight). Knee extension strength increased significantly by 15% during steady maximal isometric contractions and by 24% during rapid isometric contractions at maximal effort after the 16-week training programme (P < 0.05). Increases in EMG amplitude and rate of EMG activation indicated that improvements to the pattern of neural drive occurred with sport-specific resistance training (P < 0.05). The maximality and pattern of neural drive did not change in the control group.

Comment

as to the first article and I really don't mean to be an idiot but-DUH of course neurological adaptation takes place. They actually needed a study to figure that out?

it is basically saying for example that a long distance runner wanted to start sprinting. his first time in the 100 yard dash was 15 sec (an arbitrary number) but by the end of the 4 week study his time was down to 10 sec. anything new a human does will get better from NA initially.

Comment

I don't think the study was about proving you can improve ability/strength in an area that's not been your training focus.

It seems to just be about trying to create data that infers the mind's adaptation to an activity has an effect on performance, it's not just about muscle, bones, and ligaments.(ie: the part about hip and thigh size changes not being able to fully account for the speed increases in the experimental group)

Since the bit's of the articles don't include full experimental methods, and analysis methods I'm not real sure how to view this, I'd think tissue samples of the muscles involved would be a major part of a serious study. (but since these are high school athletes I'm guessing that's not part of the study)

It's an interesting theory that's been around for a while(control path development for an activity being a factor for improvement, not just physiological adaptation) but I'm not sure this goes into quantifying the muscular adaptions enough to automatically attribute the difference to neurological change.(size of muscle change isn't a great indicator of muscular adaptation)

Comment

I know what it is saying. it is like when you first start weight training when you can't even control the dumbells on the bench. then within a week or two which isn't much time for muscle growth, you have complete control of the weight even though you have gotten more muscular. I thought this was common knowledge. any new movement you start will have an intial Neurological adapatation stage in it.

you guys should read some articles and material from:

www.exercisecertification.com

a lot of this info is already out

Comment

No theory should be taken as a fact. Good scientific principle demands that theories be regularly fleshed out with data.

Like I said, as a theory it's been around a while, but maybe the "ballistic" training part of the theory is the "fresh" spin for the study. I'd say that's more likely than the study being based on the purely biological aspects, since it's out of a Physical Education dept.

But we'd probably need the whole article for that.... and I'd need to know what "ballistic" training is :p .

Comment

I have over 28 studies on this very topic :)

Kc

Comment

Working...
              X