My back has yet to get any stronger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My back has yet to get any stronger.

Since I have changed my diet, I've noticed improvements in strength. Nothing extreme, but improvements non-the-less. However, I can't seem to get my back any strong. About two weeks ago I switched to this workout to see if it would make any difference...
    http://superiormuscle.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=30934

Any suggestions or tricks of the trade would be welcomed...Thanks.

The problem with that workout is that the only time deads are incorporated, are on leg day with romanian deads. To build a strong back, you have to do some bent leg deads. I usually do bb rows, followed by db rows or t-bar rows, then deads, and then some pull-ups or pull down's as a finisher. However, I also only do one muscle a day. So one day will be dedicated to just back. I couldn't do anything else afterwards anyway.

Comment

Just stick with the program for a little while longer - if you're still not seeing the strength gains you want then you can revamp the workout to mirror a strength training routine - lower reps and so on...

Like beefcake said though - throw in some true deads every now and then to work on overall power etc....

Comment

I should have specified that I was doing a different, strength building, routine before. I'm kind of getting frustrated because of the lack of results...

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieChris
          I should have specified that I was doing a different, strength building, routine before. I'm kind of getting frustrated because of the lack of results...
          Post everything you got going on bro - sets, reps, amount of weight you're lifting/were lifting, frequency of lifting, diet, rest and so on...

Of course if all else fails Test is always an option :D....

Comment

do you find that your biceps are failing out on you on pulling movements? does your back get a good pump when working it out? i know for myself I have to do pullovers BEFORE i do my back workout to pre-fatigue my lats, otherwise my weak spots give out before i can really hit my lats with any type of weights. and if your biceps/pulling helpers are fast twitch they will fatigue quickly and your back won't get an effective workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54
              do you find that your biceps are failing out on you on pulling movements?

This is something that I am thinking is an issue. I find that if I use heavier weight I feel the pump in my arms and not my back...then if I go too light and squeeze long and hard at contraction I can get a reaction from the back muscle, but even after 4 weeks of that they were not getting any stronger. There must be something I am doing wrong.

Fog_hat, I will when I get a chance, I've been really busy the past few weeks.

Comment

This is something that I am thinking is an issue. I find that if I use heavier weight I feel the pump in my arms and not my back...then if I go too light and squeeze long and hard at contraction I can get a reaction from the back muscle, but even after 4 weeks of that they were not getting any stronger. There must be something I am doing wrong.

Fog_hat, I will when I get a chance, I've been really busy the past few weeks.
                Seems you may not have yet find the ability to really focus the lats. It takes time to do it, and a lot of it depends on your form. Best thing for you to do is to do what SC said and pre-fatigue your lats first before you attempt any rowing movements. Do pull-downs or db pull overs first to try and hit the lats before your bi's weaken. In order to gain any strength, you have to go heavier.

Comment

Are you a powerlifter or bodybuilder? What are your goals?

That is a great routine but not conducive to building strength for most.

Comment

FOR BACK dedicate full workout for itself. do deadlifts, chins, rows in workouts.

Comment

Okay, I'm going to try that. Thanks for the advice. Sorry it took so long for me to respond, I have been really busy the past few weeks.

Comment

Since I have changed my diet, I've noticed improvements in strength. Nothing extreme, but improvements non-the-less. However, I can't seem to get my back any strong. About two weeks ago I switched to this workout to see if it would make any difference...

i think adding chinups, deadlifts, rows are essential to back training.

Comment

Originally posted by Alin
                          i think adding chinups, deadlifts, rows are essential to back training.
                          Chinups definitely help. Also rock climbing does if you want to take that up. But once I started doing pullups and chinups my back strength went up big time.

Comment

Sup Timma
                            were have you been bro?

Comment

What are your stats(size and strength)? I train for size and I trai my clients for size, but strength usually comes along with it. I don't emphasize strength the way DC and some others do.

Comment

Working...
                              X