Torn Labrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn Labrum

Anyone ever torn their labrum? I tore mine about 6 months ago, so I guess i'll have to get surgery. Anyone gone through this? Any advice?

I don't know much about this one other than the rehab is suppose to really suck. But if you don't rehab it properly you could have problems with the mobility of your shoulder the rest of your life, or until you get another surgery to try and correct it.

Comment

each case is different but this is somewhat common, how'd you do it military presses? vollyball LOL. torn labrum is kinda vague did that say anything like its a "slap lesion" or Type 1,2,3,4 tear. how was it diagnosed MRI or physical exam both. sevearity may help make your descion

your gonna have joint instability/mobility issues if you dont get it repaired anyway. i would probably get it repaired, get a 2nd opinion from a sports specific MD or surgen. you'll be back training ether way. your looking at several months + when you return use db's vs. barbell for a while. modify your bench elbows (power lifters) in vs out (bb'ding) hold. most ppl shoudl do this anyway.

if you dont you will probably get shoulder pain and tendenitis on biceps tendon and/or uncomfortably nagging pain all the time. this could happen with surgery anyway.

if you dont get it repaired

Comment

After reading the "why don't you post thread" I figured I'd come out of hiding for this one. I tore mine back in 2001, first swing of my college baseball career. Dislocated my shoulder, and subsequently ripped my labrum all to hell. I tried to play through it but every time I swung the bat my shoulder would dislocate because my labrum was gone. I had no choice but to go for surgery. Needless to say I now have a screw holding my shoulder together and a wicked scar to show for it. The first six weeks were not fun. I had to wear this weird brace that kept my arm in a fixed position at all times, which made sleeping damn near impossible without meds or lots of alcohol. After the brace was off, I started rehab, which wasn't that bad, slow but not painful. I was able to start swinging a bat again 6 months later, which was the time frame for a complete rehab, and was able to go on to have a very successful collegiate career.

If you do opt for the surgery know this. You will never have the same amount of mobility again in that shoulder, and it will always be weaker then your other one. I don't know what it is but any exercises that puts direct stress on the my shoulders, ie. presses, raises etc... my surgery shoulder always ends up giving out way earlier than my non-surgery shoulder. I try to make up for this by adding extra sets to that shoulder alone, in an attempt to beat it into submission, but that hasn't helped much. It seems to be set on a certain amount of force that it's willing to except.

Another thing that's kinda weird that I noticed was my surgery shoulder seems to be pushed out farther from my neck than my other shoulder. What I mean is my trap muscle when facing the mirror front is definitely longer on my surgery side. It's not really noticeable unless I point it out to someone. I mean my wife didn't even notice until I said something.

I've had other athletes tell me that "you're never as good as you were before your last injury." This is somewhat true with a labrum tear, but at the same time it depends on how you approach your rehab and you're training afterwards. I've adjusted and still train just as hard as I used too, only now some things are slightly modified. Anyways, sorry for the long post, still getting that hang of it. Hope this helps you. If you have any specific questions just let me know.

Comment

thx mitch and bull. very helpful. I injured it the first time playing basketball, and then reinjured it doing push presses. At this point, i've only had a physical exam, so i need to get in for an MRI. Glad to hear that's it something that i can work through and eventually get back to training.

Right now i have pain when lifting my arm over my head and shoulder instability (dislocates easily). My mobility is fairly good, though.

I've been doing a ton of cardio, but I haven't lifted in about 6 months... looking forward to getting back onto the weights.

thx again.

Comment

Originally posted by smackerthebull
            After reading the "why don't you post thread" I figured I'd come out of hiding for this one. I tore mine back in 2001, first swing of my college baseball career. Dislocated my shoulder, and subsequently ripped my labrum all to hell. I tried to play through it but every time I swung the bat my shoulder would dislocate because my labrum was gone. I had no choice but to go for surgery. Needless to say I now have a screw holding my shoulder together and a wicked scar to show for it. The first six weeks were not fun. I had to wear this weird brace that kept my arm in a fixed position at all times, which made sleeping damn near impossible without meds or lots of alcohol. After the brace was off, I started rehab, which wasn't that bad, slow but not painful. I was able to start swinging a bat again 6 months later, which was the time frame for a complete rehab, and was able to go on to have a very successful collegiate career.

If you do opt for the surgery know this. You will never have the same amount of mobility again in that shoulder, and it will always be weaker then your other one. I don't know what it is but any exercises that puts direct stress on the my shoulders, ie. presses, raises etc... my surgery shoulder always ends up giving out way earlier than my non-surgery shoulder. I try to make up for this by adding extra sets to that shoulder alone, in an attempt to beat it into submission, but that hasn't helped much. It seems to be set on a certain amount of force that it's willing to except.

Another thing that's kinda weird that I noticed was my surgery shoulder seems to be pushed out farther from my neck than my other shoulder. What I mean is my trap muscle when facing the mirror front is definitely longer on my surgery side. It's not really noticeable unless I point it out to someone. I mean my wife didn't even notice until I said something.

I've had other athletes tell me that "you're never as good as you were before your last injury." This is somewhat true with a labrum tear, but at the same time it depends on how you approach your rehab and you're training afterwards. I've adjusted and still train just as hard as I used too, only now some things are slightly modified. Anyways, sorry for the long post, still getting that hang of it. Hope this helps you. If you have any specific questions just let me know.
            thats a good 5th post! keep them commin.

Comment

Thanks bro, glad I could help

Comment

Originally posted by Curls4dGirls
                Anyone ever torn their labrum? I tore mine about 6 months ago, so I guess i'll have to get surgery. Anyone gone through this? Any advice?

Just curious, if you tore it 6 months ago, why haven't you had surgery yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Control
                  Just curious, if you tore it 6 months ago, why haven't you had surgery yet?
                  I tore my shoulder at the end of Jan, but the pain was not intense (has never been intense). So i continued to lift for a couple months. Still bothered me so I decided to let it rest for a couple months to see if it was a strain and would heal with rest. That didn't work. I started a new job at the beginning of September, so i wanted to wait to get settled in before i had surgery and rehab.

I have surgery schedule in december. I can't wait! I haven't lifted upper body since the end of January. I haven't lost as much muscle mass as I thought I would, but i am soft. Still able to squat, deadlift, and do cardio, so that has kept me sane. I have 4 - 6 months of rehab before I can hit the weights hard again.

Comment

I tore my shoulder at the end of Jan, but the pain was not intense (has never been intense). So i continued to lift for a couple months. Still bothered me so I decided to let it rest for a couple months to see if it was a strain and would heal with rest. That didn't work. I started a new job at the beginning of September, so i wanted to wait to get settled in before i had surgery and rehab.

I have surgery schedule in december. I can't wait! I haven't lifted upper body since the end of January. I haven't lost as much muscle mass as I thought I would, but i am soft. Still able to squat, deadlift, and do cardio, so that has kept me sane. I have 4 - 6 months of rehab before I can hit the weights hard again.
                    Good luck with your surgery.

Comment

My Torn labrum

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in on the torn labrum subject.

I tore my labrum a little while back. Not exactly sure how I did it, but suspect its an older injury that has progressively gotten worse. I am an avid lifter, usually 4-5 times/week. And I love to play sports, volleyball, tennis, baseball, etc. I'm sure all these activities have helped do the damage.

We tried everything conservative to deal with the pain before electing for the operation. In fact, it wasnt diagnosed as a labrum tear in the beginning. I did therapy, and had a couple of cortisone shots, hoping that would help the pain I was having. No luck. I had an MRA, and that didnt show the tear either. Finally my orthopaedic doc decided the best course was to scope the shoulder and see what he could find.

I had my arthroscopic surgery 8 weeks ago. He went in, hoping to just clean up some tissue, and maybe shave a couple things down, but once in there he saw the badly torn labrum. I had a posterior bankart procedure. I guess theres two different ones, the anterior and the posterior. Anyway, they used anchors to re-attach the labrum to the bone. I woke up a few hours later and went home shortly after.

The pain after surgery wasn't all that bad. The first day was pretty pain free due to the nerve block they used during the procedure. Second and third days hurt a little bit, but the pain meds helped. After that the pain wasnt bad at all. I was in a pretty serious looking sling for 6 weeks.

Rehab started the week after the surgery. Its been going well, albeit a little slow in getting my range back. I disagree with some of the comments that you can expect the shoulder to never be the same as it was. I am anticipating a return to full range and strength. Rehab is a bit painful. Some people come out of the surgery with looser shoulders than others. Mines a bit tight, but the therapist does a great job working on it, and the rehab I do on my own helps alot as well. Getting my external rotation back has proven to be the most painful part, but its tolerable, and worth it because I gain more range every week.

The most difficult part of this for me is the mental part. Not being able to lift daily, not being able to play sports, it can get VERY frustrating. Its tough to be active, and then be sent to the sidelines. My doctor told me I wouldnt be able to play v-ball for 12 months!!! That hurt. I think thats being very conservative, and I hope to be back after 6 or 7 months. But I have to be careful not to push it. I try to do things in the gym that avoid working the shoulder. Legs, cardio, core/abs, etc. I just recently started doing some very light bicep and tricep work on the pulleys. Also some back, like seated rows and back extensions. Just have to be careful not to do things that aggravate the shoulder. The therabands are great for stretching and light exercise.

I still dont have my full range, but its only been 8 weeks, and as long as I see progress I am happy. I just have to get over the fact that its a long process, and I'll be so much better when i om out of it. I was very comfortable going into the surgery, because I had a great doctor an therapist. I am fortunate to work in sports, so I had access to a doc that was well practiced in the surgery, and used to working on athletes. I look forward to a future going to the gym, and playing sports pain free. It'll be well worth it in the end.

Best of luck with your procedure, and if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask.
                      Last edited by zrag; 11-29-07, 01:44 PM.

Comment

hey zrag, welcome to the board. question, what was the pain like before the surgery. where exactly on the should was the pain?

Comment

Zrag - great information. very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to post. How often do you perform rehab exercises? Every day?

Bouncer - The pain is a sharp pain in the middle of my armpit. It hurts the most when i make a lateral raise motion and continue the motion over my head.

Comment

Zrag - great information. very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to post. How often do you perform rehab exercises? Every day?

Bouncer - The pain is a sharp pain in the middle of my armpit. It hurts the most when i make a lateral raise motion and continue the motion over my head.
                            is the pain constant or only when you workout ect..? you dont feel the pain in your shoulder? arm pit seems like an odd place to have the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
                              is the pain constant or only when you workout ect..? you dont feel the pain in your shoulder? arm pit seems like an odd place to have the pain.
                              Check this out:

http://www.doereport.com/enlargeexhibit.php?ID=10705

The tear is in the anterior glenoid labrum. So, when I lift my shoulder, it hurts in the armpit.

It's not a constant pain. I can deadlift no prob. It hurts when I squat, but not enough to keep me from squatting. Cardio, no prob. No upper body at all, though. No chest, no back, no arms, and definitely no shoulders.

Comment

Working...
                              X