how's my workout routine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how's my workout routine.

i do each muscle group 2 days a week. i've been on this routine for a couple months, and have gained about 5 pounds. i think itz all muscle too. i'm 5'10, and little less then 160. im 16, and im looking to gain mass. i'm doing 6-8 reps of heavy weight for every excercise.

Monday

Back
    Lat Pull Downs 4 sets
    TBar Rows 3 sets
    I Armed Rows 2 sets
    Pull Downs Chest 3 sets

Chest
    Flat Flies 3 sets
    Bench Press 4 sets
    Incline Bench 4 sets
    Incline Rows 4 sets

Biceps
    Barbell Curls 4 sets
    Dumbell Curls 3 sets
    Preacher Curls 3 sets
    hammer curls 1 set 20 (burn out light weight)

Tuesday

Shoulders
    Dumbell Presses 3 sets
    Smith Machine Press (behind the neck) 3 sets
    Behind The Neck Barbell Press 2-3 sets
    Side Laterals 3 sets

Triceps
    Pushdowns 3 sets
    Leiing Extensions 3 sets
    Chair Dips 1 or 2 sets (till failure)
    Dumbell Kicks Back 3 sets

Legs
    Leg Extensions 4 sets
    Hack Squats 4 sets
    Leg Press 4 sets
    Leg Curls 4 Sets
    Calf Raises 4 Sets

Wednesday Rest

Thursday- Monday's workout

Friday- Tuesday's workout

Saturday and Sunday- rest

my uncle gave me the routine. he used something similar to this when he was younger, and he could bench 415.
    Attached Files

Comment

that is way to much to do in a single day of lifting. try hitting each bodypart only once per week. same exercises you use. but do

monday- delts and tris
      tuesday- back
      weds- off
      thurs- legs
      fri- chest, bis

Comment

ive had pretty good success so far doing it twice a week, so i dont know. ill seek more advice before i make a decision

Comment

Originally posted by TheReasonSF3
          ive had pretty good success so far doing it twice a week, so i dont know. ill seek more advice before i make a decision
          im not saying you wont see results with this routine. you will see BETTER results if you split it up. Overtraining puts the body in a catabolic state. you are doing 30+ sets for the workout.

Comment

I agree that looks like way to much for one day. I try to keep my weight training to 1 hour. I like to hit each body part once a week. Muscle growth happens during your recovery time not during training. At your age you will grow like you never will again in your life. Make sure you have enough recovery to maximize your gains.

Comment

TheReasonSF3: did you just start working out? because the first 4-6 months of any new novice workout program will produce results. so do NOT attribute your gains to the program. Second you are not your uncle nor anyone else. you must achieve your OWN program. programs are not cookie cutter for every person. you must find your own. and finally listen to the guys on the board. one bodypart a week using 4-7 quality sets for each body part will be more than enough.

Comment

This is consistent with the advice above, but I thought I would toss in my own two cents.

Overtraining is one of the hardest concepts to understand, especially at a young age when you seem to grow no matter what you do. The simple fact is that eliminating overtraining as explained above will yield better results than your seeing now. Too often people read pro routines and try to apply them to what they're doing. This is a major flaw. Pro's are genetically gifted just like in any sport. You can achieve similar results, but you have to know what to do for you. For example, Randy Moss can walk out on the field and run a 4.2 40 after a night at the clubs and no warm up. Most people will have to train religiously just to get close to that kind of speed in maximizing thier own capabilities. In bodybuilding it is similar, but the method is often opposite. A genetically gifted Pro body requires and can sustain a large amount of volume in training. The typically average person must realize thier bodies limits and adapt a training routine and diet that will best yield results. This means you must be conciouse of every element of training, ESPECIALLY OVERTRAINING. The average person can't handle the volume so specific attention needs to be given to applying pricipals in training to let thier body respond in a positive manner to achieve results similar to pros. Think of it this way, your not Randy Moss, so you wouldn't expect to be able to walk out on the field and run a 4.2 without great preparation, so why should you think your Jay Cutler and capable of preparing your body the way he does.

Again, it's a difficult concept to grasp, but once you do, you'll begin to maximize your potential.

cm5

Comment

Normally I would say this is too much but one thing to look at is the fact that this guy is only 16. It's soooooo hard to overtrain at that age. He is a walking bottle of test right now.

You hould see good things from what you are doing but I do still agree with splitting things up a little more. As you get older you are going to need more time off between workouts. You should get in to that habit now while your young.
                  Another thing to look at is it's never good to stick with one program for too long. Your body will adapt to it and you gains will start to taper off. I like to change my workout every month (just the exercises) then every 3 months or so I change the whole program (work body parts on differant days).

Comment

do you think alwaysgrowing's idea of doing the same excercises, but split it up like this would be better?
                    monday- delts and tris
                    tuesday- back
                    weds- off
                    thurs- legs
                    fri- chest, bis

Comment

IMO shoulders should not get their own day. every upper body movement uses some type of shoulder rotation. you have to be really careful about injuring or overusing delts. next to knees they are the most complained about area in career lifters. I have done them both on back days and chest days. they should only need about 3 direct quality sets, and then let all the indirect upperbody work take care of the rest.

Comment

Working...
                      X