sleep and training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleep and training

Between my internship, school and work, i'm going to have problems getting in more than 6 hours of sleep some days. Do you guys think it is smarter to only sleep six hours per night to have my body adapt to less sleep? or would it be better to get 8-10 hours when i can?

personally I find a schedule to be better than sleeping by how much I can "Alot" myself. So I do the same as you. I try to hit around 6.5 to 7 hours of sleep no matter what day of the week or time period it is. but I also try to nap for about 20-30 minutes before 5 oclock as well to get that extra boost for the night.

Comment

i think 8 hours of sleep is very important. try as hard as you can to get 8 hours. for me 6-7 just dosen't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysgrowing View Post
        Between my internship, school and work, i'm going to have problems getting in more than 6 hours of sleep some days. Do you guys think it is smarter to only sleep six hours per night to have my body adapt to less sleep? or would it be better to get 8-10 hours when i can?

maintaining circaduim rythm is extremely important. dont go over 8 if you can help it.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
          i think 8 hours of sleep is very important. try as hard as you can to get 8 hours. for me 6-7 just dosen't cut it.
          I get about 8 during the week.. maybe a tad bit more if I snooze. On the weekend, I sleep in till 8 but I usually go to bed early. I like to take powernaps during the day if I can.. they help me feel good! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Nekrawulf View Post
            maintaining circaduim rythm is extremely important. dont go over 8 if you can help it.
            wouldn't the circadium rythme have more to do with the actual mini sleep cycle (I haven't studied this in years) but I thought it was always best to wake up after a REM sleep. I think the cycles were 1.5 hours. you would cycle through stage I, II, III, IV- then REM and then recycle through. so it would be better to wake up at 6, 7.5 , or 9hours approximately. waking up mid mini-cycle would have the same affect no matter where it happened in the duration of sleep as if you didn't get enough.

Comment

i prefer 8, but its just not possible a few days. monday, i get home from class around 815. then i have to be at my internship at 330am. if i go right to sleep, its gives me 6 hours of sleep. then tuesday, i have class until 800, so i'll get home around 830. i have to be up at 500. so that is exactly 8 hours if i fall right asleep. the rest of the week i should be okay. just those two days.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
                wouldn't the circadium rythme have more to do with the actual mini sleep cycle (I haven't studied this in years) but I thought it was always best to wake up after a REM sleep. I think the cycles were 1.5 hours. you would cycle through stage I, II, III, IV- then REM and then recycle through. so it would be better to wake up at 6, 7.5 , or 9hours approximately. waking up mid mini-cycle would have the same affect no matter where it happened in the duration of sleep as if you didn't get enough.

Circadium rhythm has more to do with autocrinic and endocrinic hormone regulation. Sleep cycles are but a small role in the overal circadium picture. Autocrininc de-regulation is the biggest culprit in inhibiting training and efficient recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysgrowing View Post
                  i prefer 8, but its just not possible a few days. monday, i get home from class around 815. then i have to be at my internship at 330am. if i go right to sleep, its gives me 6 hours of sleep. then tuesday, i have class until 800, so i'll get home around 830. i have to be up at 500. so that is exactly 8 hours if i fall right asleep. the rest of the week i should be okay. just those two days.

I wouldnt worry about it. Sounds just right

Comment

Originally posted by WonderWoman View Post
                    I get about 8 during the week.. maybe a tad bit more if I snooze. On the weekend, I sleep in till 8 but I usually go to bed early. I like to take powernaps during the day if I can.. they help me feel good! :D
                    i dont know what it is but whenever i take a nap during the day i wake up in a terrible mood. feel like shit for the rest of the day. anyone have any idea what that is?

Comment

Circadium rhythm has more to do with autocrinic and endocrinic hormone regulation. Sleep cycles are but a small role in the overal circadium picture. Autocrininc de-regulation is the biggest culprit in inhibiting training and efficient recovery.
                      some shit I am so out of the loop on . I should probably re-educate myself on some science topics.

Comment

My sleeping schedule gets thrown off during the school year and I definately think it affects me mentally. I hate feeling like I'm dragging all day.

Comment

i dont know what it is but whenever i take a nap during the day i wake up in a terrible mood. feel like shit for the rest of the day. anyone have any idea what that is?

How long of a nap.

If it is longer than say 45 minutes, your body experiences a seratonin dump during the dream phase. Part of the reason of lucid dreaming and dreams that "seem to feel real".
                          If at all possibnle try to keep any naps under 45 minutes.

Comment

i'm gonna see if i can move the internship to a later start. if i can push it back an hour, i can get 7 hours of sleep. its only an hour, but seven sounds so much better than six in my head

Comment

How long of a nap.

If it is longer than say 45 minutes, your body experiences a seratonin dump during the dream phase. Part of the reason of lucid dreaming and dreams that "seem to feel real".
                              If at all possibnle try to keep any naps under 45 minutes.
                              they usually are under 45 minutes. hell, i can fall asleep for like 15 minutes and wake up just pissed off. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X