Training for Ab growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training for Ab growth

I know it all boils down to diet but as far as frequency of training abs, to get maximum growth is it better to train them once, twice, or three times a week? I have read so many different variations of frequency... I usually only do 3 exercises (hanging knee raises, weighted crunches with a plate behind my head and pulldowns where Im on my knees with the ropes at my forehead) 3 sets each of 25

I do mine every other day. I would never train abs with any weight. body resistance is enough weight for abs. you don't really want you abs to "grow".

Comment

so no plates or pulldowns? why is it then that some people seem to have more rounded "poking" ab muscles compared to some with just i guess the word is "low profile" abs lol... maybe just genetics im assuming
      Last edited by LeanBeast; 01-21-08, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanBeast View Post
        so no plates or pulldowns? why is it then that some people seem to have more rounded "poking" ab muscles compared to some with just i guess the word is "low profile" abs lol... maybe just genetics im assuming
        yep, genetics. flat abs or blocky abs is genetic.

you can do pull downs because your not going against your own bodyweight on that exercise.

Comment

if you want your abs to grow (A bit)...then train them like a muscle cuz thats what they are, lol. once a week with heavy weight and train to failure in a low rep range. it still blows my mind that people do 100's of situps or whatever movement they prefer like abs are different or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
            if you want your abs to grow (A bit)...then train them like a muscle cuz thats what they are, lol. once a week with heavy weight and train to failure in a low rep range. it still blows my mind that people do 100's of situps or whatever movement they prefer like abs are different or something.
            wrong wrong wrong. heavy training of the abs is something i disagree with 100%. kind of like heavy oblique training. that is not the look you want in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
              wrong wrong wrong. heavy training of the abs is something i disagree with 100%. kind of like heavy oblique training. that is not the look you want in that area.
              that is why I put that "A BIT" part in there. you can always back off if you start to put too much size on but considering muscle goes on slowly I never see that as a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
                that is why I put that "A BIT" part in there. you can always back off if you start to put too much size on but considering muscle goes on slowly I never see that as a problem.
                i just think it is bad advise because its something you wouldn't even notice over the years. but the 2 styles would lead to a different look. i dont know about you but i do not want a big wide powerful looking abdomen. i want a tight, lean looking abdomen.

Comment

i just think it is bad advise because its something you wouldn't even notice over the years. but the 2 styles would lead to a different look. i dont know about you but i do not want a big wide powerful looking abdomen. i want a tight, lean looking abdomen.
                  i want FAT abs, :P

Comment

I do mine every other day. I would never train abs with any weight. body resistance is enough weight for abs. you don't really want you abs to "grow".
                    I have Abs.. :D and they have gotten a bit thicker than when I first started. I can't wait till I am so shredded that you can see them running down thru the hip area.. that cut you know what I am talking about? :)

I have been neglecting my ab workouts. But when I train them, I use body resistance. I sometimes throw in the rope crunches, but no biggie with these IMO. I get a HUGE burn on them when I use a exercise ball and crunch (btw, the smaller the ball the better just in this case). I work them really hard.. and take a nice long pause @ crunch...
                    Last edited by WonderWoman; 01-22-08, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I have very small abs and very big obliques. dont know how that happened but it sucks. even if I have a small amout of body fat it looks like I have huge love handels (muffin top) when its realy mostly muscle. I just started to work abs to try and even it out. I do body weigth crunches 3 times a week.

Comment

I agree with Stone, you need to treat them like a muscle (a bit). I hit mine every other day with leg raises and crunches and then once a week I do decline crunches with a 35lb weight on my chest.

Comment

I've heard both theories of ab training. Arent you supposed to alternate the way you train em' so your body wont get too used to either way??

Comment

Originally posted by The_Grinder View Post
                            I've heard both theories of ab training. Arent you supposed to alternate the way you train em' so your body wont get too used to either way??
                            no theory. its a matter of how you want your whole midsection to look, not just the abs. you can either have a powerful, thick looking midsection or you can have a tight and lean midsection.

Comment

Working...
                            X