What do you do to get that extra rep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do to get that extra rep?

Monday I was doing chest. After my Flat Bench workout I ask him if he has any comments as to how I could better myself. I have been stuck at a wall. Infact, I think this week I couldn't push the weight the same as I did last week. Any way, he asks me what I think about before I lift for a set. My response was I try to focus. He seems to think I need to think of things that will get me excited because he thinks I will push the weight better.

So, when working out. What do you guys thinks about?

Originally posted by rado
    I don't think about anything...I just go to they gym and get it over with...Being at the gym is not something I LOVE doing...I know that being there keeps me healty and looking great...But I don't LOVE the gym, I do get enjoyment from it...What pushes me ED is to know that I'm healthy and it makes me feel great inside and out...
    I go to be healthy. I just can't seem to push very hard and I'm worried about my training that is all.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieChris View Post
      I go to be healthy. I just can't seem to push very hard and I'm worried about my training that is all.
      There are some days where I just feel like I'm going through the motions. Do you workout listening to music. If not, give that a try. Or if you do maybe it's time for some new songs. Music definitely helps for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadd77 View Post
        There are some days where I just feel like I'm going through the motions. Do you workout listening to music. If not, give that a try. Or if you do maybe it's time for some new songs. Music definitely helps for me.
        Music definitely helps me. Or a real good workout partner to push me - or maybe make it sort of competitive.

Comment

I'll try the music. I don't know if I understand what you're saying. Maybe that is part of my problem...

Comment

how long have you been stuck? if it's been a while take a week off,or switch up to db's then don't bench the following week,when you return to benching you should be able to put up more.
            and for not being able to push what you did the week befor i would just chalk that up as a weak day and move on,we all get them from time to time.

Comment

Music definitely helps me. If I'm getting ready to bang out some heavy weight, it always pushes me that little extra bit.

And, of course I basically talk myself into doing at least 2 more reps while I'm in the middle of a set....If I can do 10, what's 2 more?

I would also agree w/ FB on the workout partner. Even if you don't work out w/ a partner on a regular basis, get someone to spot you. Now, this isn't a pussymove by any stretch. But it's funny what happens when you have a spot. 1) You have the confidence to push through those last 1 or 2 reps since someone is there, and 2) You want to look good to your spotter that you can push the weight, and only need them there as a precaution

It's all subconcious...its kind of cool- especially when you surprise yourself

Comment

i really don't think about anything. i just love to do it. sounds like your enthusiasm for the gym just isn't there bro. take cars for example, you love them, you love to work on them etc. i like a nice car but i really dont care about them like you do. your passion is cars. my passion is bodybuilding. i get the feeling from you that this is defintily not your favorite thing in the world to do.

not saying you should give up. not by any means, just saying maybe you should stop putting pressure on yourself and just enjoy it.

Comment

I don't know. I've been thinking about this since Monday. It pisses me off, because it seems like I'm really doing something wrong. But its only with Bench that I am really having this problem. Today I did tris and I started with Close Grip bench presses and I did 8 reps of 20 lbs less than I do on Chest day. To me that seems ridiculous. It really varies like that. My deads on the other hand have risen strongly over the past months. Along with everything else. I guess my huddle is the mental battle. I thought I had gotten over that a while ago, but with bench I suppose it hasn't gone away.

And Bouncer, if I didn't enjoy the gym I wouldn't go. I only sound so spitful about it because I'm frustrated I'm not really good at it...

Comment

I don't know. I've been thinking about this since Monday. It pisses me off, because it seems like I'm really doing something wrong. But its only with Bench that I am really having this problem. Today I did tris and I started with Close Grip bench presses and I did 8 reps of 20 lbs less than I do on Chest day. To me that seems ridiculous. It really varies like that. My deads on the other hand have risen strongly over the past months. Along with everything else. I guess my huddle is the mental battle. I thought I had gotten over that a while ago, but with bench I suppose it hasn't gone away.

And Bouncer, if I didn't enjoy the gym I wouldn't go. I only sound so spitful about it because I'm frustrated I'm not really good at it...
                    just keep plugging along bro. certain things are going to lag behind. i think you have a tendency to think about something so much that it becomes a negative and it really stresses you out.

Comment

I didn't read all the answers in-depth but what i do in my workout is definitely have music. I have to have my IPOD because then it makes the workout my own. I think if you listen to gym music (unless you have a really cool gym) then it distracts you when they change music or genres. then i always put the most important movement first, what I really want to focus on. after my cardio warm up and stretching and light weight movements (I listen to faster music at this point cuz I don't want to get jacked just the blood flowing), so after my cardio I set up all the weights on the exercise. I usually pace in front of the piece of equipment and get some more heavy music going. I think about my goals and what I want out of the set and that I am only asking my self to push for this set, and not think ahead to the rest of the workout. I visualize the last few reps and how its gonna hurt and then I think why I am doing it again to justify the pain. Personally some goals are vain and some are not. some might be to impress a woman, some are personal goals and some might be so I can help myself get better at something else. So then when I get that in my head I psyche myself up, I don't know how to explain it but I put on my favorite song of the week and I give myself goosebumps cuz I get so excited. then I do my set and push the shit out of it from first to last. that pretty much carries me through the entire workout. and its also why I don't do extended workouts ( no more than 30 minutes). I don't think its sustainable at that level for long so I don't want to be doing wasteful sets at the end of my workout where I can't push myself.

Comment

gotta have music - and (like bouncer said) ,more than anything, you gotta have a passion for it. i see too many people treating the gym like a social clubo or a meeting place or some shit, or people just "going through the motions" and im like, "why even bother"

shit, i cant wait to get to the gym, and after my workout, i count down to my next.

gotta get your mind right - gyms not for everybody. thats for damn sure

Comment

did u say u started triceps with close grip bench and u did less wieght than u did on chest day.u may wanna consider revamping your routine...ok say u do chest and on chest day u bench right?.well guess what u come back next day or the second day (i dont know what your split is)and do triceps and u do close grip bench press right?well guess what the close grip aside from a few dynamic changes is bench press none the less.try doin triceps on chest day since u have allready prestressed them with pressing movements IE bench press,incline or what ever.i do a 3 on 1 off .day 1 is chest shoulders triceps day2 is back biceps abs day 3 is quad/ham and calves then a day off.guess what when day 5 rolls around ima fresh and everything is recovered.on your spitting problem try 3/1 ...spit to the left then to the right then straight on then swallow as your spit level drops u will sound less spitful....i kid i kid

Comment

oh yea in a nutshell ...chest day rolls around triceps are still fragged among other things.what do i think about when or before a workout ?GETTIN THIS SHIT DONE .ROCK ON

Comment

Chris, I have used this technique since i was in high school. and it always works.
                              Look at everything you do this way, and you'll always stay motivated. Just before your set, think that somewhere out there, there is someone almost identical to you, or someone you hate. He is about to get under that weight, and push out 8 reps. Now if you don't, if you quit, he is now going to be bettetr than you. So decide to push yourself, as far and as hard as you can. Because you know, you are better than them. Your determination is what seperates you from the boys. Thats what makes you want to join the marines.

I guarantee that when you are done, you will feel better.

Comment

Working...
                              X