Is this too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this too much?

I'm pretty sure my body can handle this workout I've drawn up, just looking for some thoughts/opinions on it:

Day 1 & Day 4: Back, Bis, Traps

Deadlifts: 12 (warm-ups), 10, 8, 6, 4
    Weighted Wide-gripped Chins: 3x sets, 6-8 reps
    T-bar Rows: 4x sets, 6-8 reps

2-handed simultaneous DB Curls: 4x sets, 6-8 reps
    21's with BB: 3 sets

BB Shrugs: 4x sets, 10-12 reps
    BB Trap Pulls to Chin: 3x sets, 6-8 reps

Day 2 & Day 5: Chest, Tris, Shoulders

Flat BB Press: 12 (warm-ups), 10, 8, 6, 4, 1RM
    Incline DB Press: 3x sets, 6-8 reps
    DB Flyes: 3x sets, 6-8 reps

Weighted Dips: 3x sets, 6-8 reps
    Cable Rope Pulldowns: 3x sets, 6-8 reps

DB Shoulder Press: 4x sets, 6-8 reps
    Front Lateral Raises: 3x sets, 6-8 reps
    Side Lateral Raises: 3x sets, 6-8 reps

Finish with Forearm Curls: 3x sets, 8-10 reps

Day 3 & Day 6: Legs

Squats: 12 (warm-ups), 10, 8, 6, 4
    Leg Press: 3x sets, 8-10 reps
    Leg Curls: 3x sets, 8-10 reps
    Leg Extensions: 3x sets, 8-10 reps
    Weighted Calf Raises: 4x sets, 8-10 reps
    Last edited by Pikaberdot; 02-25-08, 01:40 AM.

is that in a week or are there days off?

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
      is that in a week or are there days off?
      Well considering he has Day 1-6 listed, I would assume he takes off 1 day a week.

and the answer to your question Pikaberdot is yes, it is too much. especially if you are a natural lifter. this is a muscle eating overtraining routine if i ever saw one.

Comment

you could still make that routine work with 3 on 1 off. 6 on 1 off is a little much unless you are doing a different muscle group every day. ie chest-monday, back-tuesday, etc. but thanks to Control, splits like that are soooo last week...:D

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
          Well considering he has Day 1-6 listed, I would assume he takes off 1 day a week.

and the answer to your question Pikaberdot is yes, it is too much. especially if you are a natural lifter. this is a muscle eating overtraining routine if i ever saw one.
          How about if the first 3 days were heavy, and the next 3 were lighter, sort of an active recovery between heavy days. I just feel lazy when I'm not lifting more than 3 days a week. I've been feeling like I'm on lately, even though I haven't been in a while...

Comment

Originally posted by Pikaberdot View Post
            How about if the first 3 days were heavy, and the next 3 were lighter, sort of an active recovery between heavy days. I just feel lazy when I'm not lifting more than 3 days a week. I've been feeling like I'm on lately, even though I haven't been in a while...
            Why does it have to be either 3 days a week or 6 days a week?? Why not 3 on 1 off or even 2 on 1 off???

Comment

Originally posted by The_Grinder View Post
              Why does it have to be either 3 days a week or 6 days a week?? Why not 3 on 1 off or even 2 on 1 off???
              It can be, it's just that I don't have as much flexibility in my schedule as I would like. I could work out early AM everyday, but i've always had crappy workouts when I haven't been awake for at least a few hours, it's frustrating. I could also work out later at night, but after my workouts the last thing I can do is go to sleep.

Comment

It can be, it's just that I don't have as much flexibility in my schedule as I would like. I could work out early AM everyday, but i've always had crappy workouts when I haven't been awake for at least a few hours, it's frustrating. I could also work out later at night, but after my workouts the last thing I can do is go to sleep.
                well you are already working out 6 days a week so I dont think 3 on 1 off would be that hard for you to swing ya know?

Comment

Stress theory states that it doesn't matter what the level of the session. your body goes through the same reaction of stress managment when you are in the gym. your body cannot and should not be placed in a "stressful" state consistently. and if you feel lazy when you don't lift you need to find more hobbies that take up your time. mental stroking is not a good excuse to lift more.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
                    Stress theory states that it doesn't matter what the level of the session. your body goes through the same reaction of stress managment when you are in the gym. your body cannot and should not be placed in a "stressful" state consistently. and if you feel lazy when you don't lift you need to find more hobbies that take up your time. mental stroking is not a good excuse to lift more.
                    Exactly - I always make it clear to my clients that your goals are met OUTSIDE of the gym - no matter who you are there are ONLY 168 hours in a week and even if you workout 3 hours a day for 7 days a week you're still only in there for 12.5% of your week - now imagine only "needing" to be in there maybe 4 or 5 days a week for a max of 45 minutes and you'll see that 97.5% of your goals are left to be met OUTSIDE of the weight room....

Comment

Working...
                    X