Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squating more then you can lift with a spotter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squating more then you can lift with a spotter.

So I am training legs yesterday with a buddy of mine. He is about 5'6 270 and most of that weight is in his legs. He doesn't power lift but he is built like a power lifter and I am sure he would do well if he wanted to compete. Anyway, he can squat far more then me because of his short height and power build. Its my turn to squat and he starts loading up more plates then I can handle. He spotted me and I was able to crank out 5 reps. We did this for 3 sets each being heavier.

This may sound like dumb thing to do and downright dangerous but I gotta tell ya, this guy is on to something, even with the "Cheating" of using a spot, my legs are fucken torn apart.

I wouldn't say that was dangerous if you were able to get 5 reps. I think it gets dangerous when you go balls out for just 1 rep. I believe in lifting heavy but unless you are training for power I see no benefit in maxing out 1 rep.

Comment

no offence but doesnt that make sence! I call that forced reps and it has been around along time. I usally do that on my last set, of coarse depending on how I feel dont wanna overtrain. so how many plates did he load on? I know you wont say.

Comment

what doesn't make sense? nobody said it was some ground braking routine. i was simply telling a story about what i did for legs yesterday and how they are fucken beat now. is that ok with you? lol.

i usually do 3 sets of 12 reps of squats with a range between 405lbs- 455lbs. not super heavy, i concentrate more on the quality of the reps and feel/ pump of the muscle. yesterday he made me do 585lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
          what doesn't make sense? nobody said it was some ground braking routine. i was simply telling a story about what i did for legs yesterday and how they are fucken beat now. is that ok with you? lol.

i usually do 3 sets of 12 reps of squats with a range between 405lbs- 455lbs. not super heavy, i concentrate more on the quality of the reps and feel/ pump of the muscle. yesterday he made me do 585lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps.
          I see the tren is working.lol settele down snapper turtle!

585 I think that would crush me.

Comment

so he was helping you with like 150 lbs? how was he doing that? I mean the mechanics, when I squat and I have a spotter I just have him make sure I dont fall over backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKILLER View Post
              so he was helping you with like 150 lbs? how was he doing that? I mean the mechanics, when I squat and I have a spotter I just have him make sure I dont fall over backwards.
              Have you ever seen anyone get a spot on squats from behind where the spotter almost goes through the whole motion with you?

Comment

my guess is that you lowered the weight by yourself hence you were actually using negatives more and the spotter helping up was secondary. but still a good intensity variable

Comment

like shibby said, it was what i call "the gay spot". lol. he basically went through the squat with me, hands in a X across my chest.

Comment

nope, never done that. I think I'll stick with maxin out a little over 300 until I can put up more myself. :ghey:

Comment

nope, never done that. I think I'll stick with maxin out a little over 300 until I can put up more myself. :ghey:
                      I've been spotted like that many times. If you are really going heavy you need to have a secure spot like that. If you start to round your back your spotter is easily able to straighten you out. I guess if your only squatting 300 you wouldn't need a spot like that! :P

Everyone is homophobic now since NewbieChris made the statement of “I can't imagine being gay is all that bad”. :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby View Post
                        Have you ever seen anyone get a spot on squats from behind where the spotter almost goes through the whole motion with you?
                        I agree with this way and is actually the only way I know how!

Comment

This is why I train with bumper plates.

If I fail ... I dump the load, not my body.

Im not hurt and neither is anyone else.

I vary a lot of strength variations in my routines.

5x5rep

7x3rep

5x1rep

and lots of others.

It really does wonderful things for performance development

Comment

Isn't your goal to get bigger? 5 reps is great for strength but big legs come from long, slow, torturous, high-rep sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Control View Post
                              Isn't your goal to get bigger? 5 reps is great for strength but big legs come from long, slow, torturous, high-rep sets.
                              if you read the post you will see that is what i always do. but as you know, a sudden "shock" every once in awhile is what the doctor ordered.

Comment

Working...
                              X