check my routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check my routine

hey heres my stats, 165, 6-2, lanky as fuk, long ass arms and legs, tryin to get some decent size, been liftin for about 2.5 serious years.

This routine is basically day on day off so i will be gettin adequate rest. I take whey protein about three servings a day, but my diet is so so but im tryin to improve but its hard as hell at college. I pretty much stay clear of drinkin and stuff except maybe once a week and i dont really get trashed I just have a little. Don't realy take in too many simple carbs either. And yes I know calves dont traditionally go on back day but on my leg day im way too wiped out from the other excercises to think about calves. Reps are lower for the power movements about 4-8 and 6-10 for the other excercise

Chest - flat bench/incline bench
    incline dumbbell/dumbbell bench
    decline bench
    dips

Back - deadlifts (sumo)
    good mornings
    seated calf raises
    donkey calf raises

Shoulders - dumbbell shoulder press
    upright rows
    side laterals
    rear raises
    shrugs

Arms - close grip bench
    skullcrushers
    barbell curls
    incline curls
    hammer curls
    dips

Legs - squats
    stiff leg deadlifts
    lunges
    leg extensions

Your routine is sound, and frankly, good... but...

1. Focus on strength. At your size (and mine, not height wise, but weight) strength should be the focus. Make a log, and improve on each subsequent day you do any given lift.

2. If you aren't seeing the results you want switch to higher (i.e. 10-15 reps). This is a personal preference, some people see results with lower reps (i.e. 2-4), but I have found that ineffective. I would say, however, that if your doing higher reps TO FAILURE, then less sets are needed (I currently do 2 sets 10-15 reps to failure on both). That is me, NOT YOU!, do what you respond to.

3. Your back needs a lat movement, add some pulldows/pullups/rows, one or the other, whichever you like best (focus on contracting the shoulder blades). I like deadlifts with either one of those. The lower back is worked with either deads or squats or stiff legs (if you feel weakness in either one of these then specific lower back movements maybe needed) so good mornings are not necessarily needed.

4. Shoulders, first, I hope you recognize (I don't mean to patronize you here) that upright rows and rear/front shrugs work traps, and not shoulders. In the upright row movement the delt (shoulder) is the support muscle, much as the delts/triceps are in the bench press. That being said, I think you may be trying to micromanage your delts. Focus on increasing strength in the power movement (shoulder press, military, dumbell, whatever) and worry about the others later (save the reardelt attention for the day that your training for your pro bodybuilder card)

5. Arms looks good, however, why dips after doing 3 lifts of biceps? why not put that in with tri's? it is a tri movement, I don't getthe order. Plus, don't focus on the biceps to increase arm growth, the arm is 2/3 tri and 1/3 bi. If you want bigger arms, tri's are the focus... this doesn't mean more sets or reps or lifts, just a general bit of info.

6. Legs, Looks to me like your doing WAYtoo much. This is without seeing yourset range or rep range, BUT... Most people avoid doing deads and squats in the same week, this is a problem since both are a core part of your routine. It could work fine for you, but I say keep the squats, they are flat out, the BEST workout you can do for legs. Now, adding Stiff Legged Dead Lifts (SLDL's), Lunges, and Leg Ext. is a problem. That is way too much for most people. I would lose the Lunges, and use those as a change up when I hit a plateau on the squats. SLDL's can work in the same day, but to avoid overtraining I would suggest rotating those with deads each week.

7. A lot can be done with your routine, if your not seeing results, read up on it. Don't just read the "Pro" routines, those routines work for the "Pro's" (Most of which have more juice in them than Florida) which can sustain more stress than the average trainer (i.e. YOU, no offense, we're all basically average).

As an example what I'm doing (It may not be for you, but given your info, you're not geneticallly gifted like Jay Cutler) is:

Mon.
    Deadlifts/ Pulldowns
    Flat bar curls/ hammer rope curls
    Front shrugs/ Rear shrugs

Wed.
    bumbell bench/ incline press
    Shoulder press/ side laterals
    triceps press down/ over head rope pull

Fri.
    Squats/ Leg press 15-20 reps
    Leg curls/ SLDL's
    Incline calf raises/ Donkey Calf raises

Tues and Thurs are cardio and abs
    Sat and Sun are rest

The slash "/" means another week (i.e. deads and pulldowns are on oppsite weeks)

I do 2-3 warm-up with 2 working sets using 10-15 reps to failure.

I don't pretend to be the end all be all of workout knowledge, but I've taken what I use from very knowldgeable people (see Iron Addict at anabolicmids.com) and its working for me. In conclusin, what I can not emphasis more is DIET, but according to your info you got it down, just make sure you taking in enough cal's and protein per day, and 5-6 meals a day, and you'll be fine.

cm5

P.S. sorry about the super long post, just thougt it was needed, hope it helps

Comment

I agree with Cook. Deadlifts and good mornings in the same work out is NOT needed. In fact, if you deadlift heavy, you wouldn't be able to perform good mornings properly, and risk hurting yourself.

Alternate your deads and goods from week to week.

Comment

cool thanks for the info. Oh and dont worry i dont get the info from the pro's cause I know it would be impossible to do their routines if you are juice free. I made this routine up myself but i think if i follow what u say i could make some good progress.

Comment

But day on day off?? i'd better do everyday, with one muscle group for day.

Comment

You need to list how many sets you are going to do. I see your reps but no talk about sets. Really each bodypart can handle a differend number of sets. Also, you sound like a pretty small guy. At 6'2" with those numbers you probably are built like a preying mantis. No shame in that, it gives you something to shoot for. If I were you I would eat anything and everything in site. Even compound carbs, at your size it won't hurt at all. Cram your face. Take in at least three protein shakes a day maybe even five if you can. Take each shake with 16oz of milk and the scoop of protein. Eat dude.

For your routine, you need compound stuff. You have a lot of crap in that routine that is worthless and if you acutually did that routine you would over train in a week. Stick to compound moves. Deadlifts, squats, barbell incline and military press. What are your goals? Size or strength? I will assume size and if thats the case you could get all your quad work from ass to the grass squats. Good luck brother.

Comment

Working...
            X