• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
    and in the caveman days they LIVED till they were about 18, :P
    touche!

Comment

I tend to agree with the premise of that article but obviously there is nothing solid to back their claim up of it NOT doing it. but regardless I don't think kids under 18 should be doing maximal lifts or high intensity training. and I thought it was interesting that they mentioned running and jumping as producing such high impact forces and in the context of that being "bad" and yet still people espouse plyometrics as something "good" :D

What does plyometrics have to do with running and jumping?

Comment

Originally posted by Nekrawulf View Post
        What does plyometrics have to do with running and jumping?
        well I guess it depends on the coach but I have seen plyo-coaches jumping on boxes off boxes doing all kinds of stupid things. maybe some don't but then again there is no set standard for most trainers out there its just "do what you want".

Comment

I started lifting at 13 and by 15 was training as intense as I ever have. I'm 31 and taller than anyone in my family.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
            I started lifting at 13 and by 15 was training as intense as I ever have. I'm 31 and taller than anyone in my family.
            so the rest of your family is 4 feet :D

Comment

well I guess it depends on the coach but I have seen plyo-coaches jumping on boxes off boxes doing all kinds of stupid things. maybe some don't but then again there is no set standard for most trainers out there its just "do what you want".
              I am sorry you dont feel the need of manipulating one's body safely and effectively around objects(an undeniable escape and survival skill) is important, and actually refer to it as stupid.

Kids run and jump all the time anyways, wether you coach them to or not.

How do we always butt heads on training =-D

Comment

Originally posted by Nekrawulf View Post
                I am sorry you dont feel the need of manipulating one's body safely and effectively around objects(an undeniable escape and survival skill) is important, and actually refer to it as stupid.

Kids run and jump all the time anyways, wether you coach them to or not.

How do we always butt heads on training =-D
                what you describe is I have no problem with but that is not my exprience with plyo coaches (which is mostly through college sports). the fact that kids run and jump is fine its a part of life but when weights and regimentation are brought into the picture and thought of as "Safe" then I have a problem.

Comment

what you describe is I have no problem with but that is not my exprience with plyo coaches (which is mostly through college sports). the fact that kids run and jump is fine its a part of life but when weights and regimentation are brought into the picture and thought of as "Safe" then I have a problem.

weighted plyo is retarded.. my only exception to that is Wall-Ball. I also dont understand why some coaches insist on doing weeks of training nothing but plyo... that isnt functional at all.

Comment

so the rest of your family is 4 feet :D
                    ya they are pigmies and I was adopted :rofl:

Comment

Man, this thread has got me thinking...

How do you guys feel about a 12 year old (my little brother) started to bodybuild???

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
                        Man, this thread has got me thinking...

How do you guys feel about a 12 year old (my little brother) started to bodybuild???
                        not in the true sense no....of course boys are maturing older so it would have to be case by case but in general the true sense of bodybuilding should not even cross someone mind that young. I think learning to lift and proper nutrition are more important than focus on weight gain because the weight will come as they mature naturally. its no good if they get frustrated because their bodies aren't ready to mature fast enough.

Comment

not in the true sense no....of course boys are maturing older so it would have to be case by case but in general the true sense of bodybuilding should not even cross someone mind that young. I think learning to lift and proper nutrition are more important than focus on weight gain because the weight will come as they mature naturally. its no good if they get frustrated because their bodies aren't ready to mature fast enough.

ya your right about that. I think what i will do is teach him the basic correct way to lift and eat properly. I know for a fact my little brother will not eat 6 little meals a day, but if i keep telling him to eat healthy, than it might stick to his mind in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
                            ya your right about that. I think what i will do is teach him the basic correct way to lift and eat properly. I know for a fact my little brother will not eat 6 little meals a day, but if i keep telling him to eat healthy, than it might stick to his mind in the future.
                            yeah you will never be fully sucessful but I think getting them into good habits is a great way to go through teenage years.

Comment

yeah you will never be fully sucessful but I think getting them into good habits is a great way to go through teenage years.

Yup, i am already started implementing a good diet.

Cutting back on soda's and sweets, and jacking up the water intake for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X