Ab training routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ab training routine

I just wanted to ask what you all do for your ab workouts? How extensive is your program, and how many times a week?

Include obliques as well =D

Also, do you train your lower back on the same day/time you do abs?

I ask because I do 4 sets of 40 machine crunches, then 2 sets of 20 on the weighted ab machine, 2 sets of 15 leg pull ups, and 2 sets of lower back extensions.

I have yielded some good results, but would like to know what everyone else does in comparison.

Thanks in advance.
    myst

I train abs like any other part of my body. I use 1-3 quality sets. rep range is kept in the 10-12 rep range. It boggles my mind why people do extended sets on abs, as if that will give you greater fat loss in that area. abs have the most mis-information out there. they are just a muscle.

Comment

Which is why I was asking for information and help. :(

I'm not going for "fat loss" by training abs, as I know that mainly relates to diet and cardio. I am trying to build them up, to get more definition from them, as well as doing cardio.

=)

Comment

I train mine 3 times a week,here is my routine:

Weighted side bends 3 sets/10 reps
        Weighted Swiss Ball Crunches 3 sets/10 reps
        Hanging Knee Raises 3 sets/10 reps
        Bicycle 3 sets/10 reps

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
        IntensityX

Comment

intesityx: would you train chest three times a week? if not why would you train abs 3 times a week. they are both a muscle.

mystik: okay here is the answer. I do one set of decline bench weighted crunches. and one set of leg lifts. only one workout per week, sometimes every two weeks. there is no such thing as training for definition. you can get larger abs or you can lose bodyfat from dieting.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecold54
            intesityx: would you train chest three times a week? if not why would you train abs 3 times a week. they are both a muscle.

mystik: okay here is the answer. I do one set of decline bench weighted crunches. and one set of leg lifts. only one workout per week, sometimes every two weeks. there is no such thing as training for definition. you can get larger abs or you can lose bodyfat from dieting.
            "Larger abs" were the words I was looking for in my previous post, not definition. =)

Either way, thanks for your opinions, as I will ad some bicylces to my routine. BTW, I only train them twice a week, like every other muscle. 1 heavy day, and a follow up light day 4 days later, to keep them hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by mystik
              "Larger abs" were the words I was looking for in my previous post, not definition. =)

Either way, thanks for your opinions, as I will ad some bicylces to my routine. BTW, I only train them twice a week, like every other muscle. 1 heavy day, and a follow up light day 4 days later, to keep them hungry.
              Yeah after I reread your post I saw that you basically did say you wanted bigger abs and to do cardio to lost bodyfat- My bad on that. Also bicycles (if I am thinking about the right exercise here) are mostly just for the hip flexors. they only work abs from the static hold you must achieve to keep your legs off the ground. you would be better off just doing a slight straight legged leg lift off the ground 3-4 inches and just holding it. bicycles are a lot of wasted motion. and as far as keeping your abs "hungry", that is a very non-scientific way to workout and is most likely hindering your workouts. it sounds more like you have a psychological fear of not working them out for fear of gaining weight or losing muscle. make sure you can account for everything in your workouts with factual, updated information, not just feelings.

Comment

Chest and abs are two different muscles bro,that's like comparing apples and oranges,you don't train abs like you train chest and I recover quickly from my ab routine so I need to do them 3 times a week and I have gotten some good results doing them that we,to each their own.

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
                IntensityX

Comment

not true. explain the difference for me though if you believe they are two structurally different muscles. and yes to each his own you can do whatever you want in a routine. you can even do a routine that is contrary to achieving the BEST results (not just SOME results).

Comment

not true. explain the difference for me though if you believe they are two structurally different muscles. and yes to each his own you can do whatever you want in a routine. you can even do a routine that is contrary to achieving the BEST results (not just SOME results).
                    Bro,the pec muscle is different in size and structure then the ab muscle,you can't tell me you can train arms like legs,legs like abs,etc etc,each muscle group is different in regards to muscle fiber content and overall structure,some muscle groups have a unique way in recovering then other muscle groups and overall it depends on each person,some may recover faster on arms then some others but overall each muscle is different in structure and fiber type.

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
                    IntensityX

Comment

do you have a text book that I could reference? I don't believe the shape "a la" the sturcture has much to do with recovery. is that like saying if muscle was shaped like a circle as opposed to a square it would recover differently?

muscles do have different fiber types. do you know the fiber test to find out what they are? There is a general test to find out one's individual fiber makeup is. but the fact is that even if a muscle is predominatley slow-twitch there is no reason to work it out 3 times a week. we are actually getting into General Adaptive syndrome theory (GAS) by Hans Seyle. that would take a long time to go into but the book "The Stress of Life" would be helpful in understanding the bodies recovery from stress.

*edit* oh sorry I didn't answer one part of your post. I do train bodyparts a like if they have the same general makeup. My biceps and lats are both predominantly fast-twitch in nature and have a high fatigue rate and greater hypertrophy. so they both get the same type of workout. just like my shoulders and chest are predominatley slow-twitch.

Comment

I didn't mean any harm by asking for help with an ab routine...

I don't have a fear of gaining weight or losing muscle... I just want to get my abs bigger while I work on diet. However, I am not looking to cut right now, as it is winter.

I just want to train my abs, so they get bigger and worry about cutting pre-summer.

Comment

Originally posted by mystik
                          I didn't mean any harm by asking for help with an ab routine...

I don't have a fear of gaining weight or losing muscle... I just want to get my abs bigger while I work on diet. However, I am not looking to cut right now, as it is winter.

I just want to train my abs, so they get bigger and worry about cutting pre-summer.
                          Mystik,I apologize for getting off topic here,I think me and Stonecold got sidetracked with our discussion,we didn't mean to get off base here.

And Stonecold,you and I can debate this until the cows come home we aint going to get nowhere,you and I aren't going to convience each other who is right or wrong so lets just leave it at this that to each their own and whatever works then don't change.

Mystik,you want bigger abs,train with weights,put a weight on your abs and do some weighted crunches,and remember that to see bigger abs you need to keep the fat off period.

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
                          IntensityX

Comment

if you have cows, shouldn't you be eating them for the protein. of course then this post belongs in the nutrition section. :D

Comment

if you have cows, shouldn't you be eating them for the protein. of course then this post belongs in the nutrition section. :D
                              Well unless your Bouncer but then this post would belong in the XXX forum :rofl:

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
                              IntensityX

Comment

Working...
                              X