• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you hit your laterals?

I mean side and rear.

Do you prefer dumbells seated/stood, or

Cable bent over, stood?

Always stand when possible - on any exercise...

Gotta remember/keep in mind that the shoulder joint itself actually points towards to the back of your skull and not straight up - means you have to lean forward around the 30degree mark to really hit laterals on their own - usually a LOT more lean than most people do them even when they *think* they're leaning forward enough...
    I use dumbbells, cables, upright rows with a wide grip (no higher than sternum though), any machine decently designed for proper movement.....

Oh yeah - and while I'm at it - NO higher than shoulder height/parallel to the floor - impingements come into play any point beyond that......

Rear delts = heavy back movements - I treat these almost like front delts and leave them to grow from compound movements - my rear delts aren't lagging IMO either....

Coming into shows I'll have clients do overhand reverse flyes on a machine - focusing on getting the hands BEHIND the shoulder joint about 15degrees and only about 35degrees in front (very small ROM compared to most exercises). Flyes while facing a bench are staples too but I've only had one client step on stage with poor rear delts and that was simply because she didn't have the size to begin with....

Comment

I'm a big dumbells fan myself, generally just do machine stuff when I can't be arsed, I was thinking of giving bent over cable lateralls a go though and stood up cable lateralls just to hit the head from another angle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
        I'm a big dumbells fan myself, generally just do machine stuff when I can't be arsed, I was thinking of giving bent over cable lateralls a go though and stood up cable lateralls just to hit the head from another angle.
        Dumbbels and barbells are the way to go for overall mass but gravity kills your ROM with some of them - gotta keep that in mind anytime you're working for overall development...

Comment

Originally posted by fog_hat1981 View Post
          Dumbbels and barbells are the way to go for overall mass but gravity kills your ROM with some of them - gotta keep that in mind anytime you're working for overall development...
          yeah that is why I stick with partial top range reps for DB laterals....I love them....they burn so good :)

Comment

Gotta remember/keep in mind that the shoulder joint itself actually points towards to the back of your skull and not straight up - means you have to lean forward around the 30degree mark to really hit laterals on their own - usually a LOT more lean than most people do them even when they *think* they're leaning forward enough...
            I use dumbbells, cables, upright rows with a wide grip (no higher than sternum though), any machine decently designed for proper movement.....

Oh yeah - and while I'm at it - NO higher than shoulder height/parallel to the floor - impingements come into play any point beyond that......

Rear delts = heavy back movements - I treat these almost like front delts and leave them to grow from compound movements - my rear delts aren't lagging IMO either....

Coming into shows I'll have clients do overhand reverse flyes on a machine - focusing on getting the hands BEHIND the shoulder joint about 15degrees and only about 35degrees in front (very small ROM compared to most exercises). Flyes while facing a bench are staples too but I've only had one client step on stage with poor rear delts and that was simply because she didn't have the size to begin with....
            I mostly agree with all of this

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
              I mostly agree with all of this
              LOL - so you kinda sorta maybe don't precisely concur on some of it???? :wacko:

Comment

:rofl:

Comment

just the leaning foward to hit the side head...never found that necessary

Comment

Bent with DB. Sometimes I will lie on an incline bench and use db.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                      I mean side and rear.

Do you prefer dumbells seated/stood, or

Cable bent over, stood?
                      I like db's seated and cables standing.

Comment

I've have 2 shoulder operations and can feel a big difference adding single handle cable pulls to my back routine. good form no yanking. everyone i have seen using dumbells does that yank at the bottom of the movement. that kills my left shoulder. don't let the dumbell go all the way down if you catch your self yanking.

Comment

I disagree. I don't think whether your stand or sit has that much of an influence on your ability to isolate a muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by toolwtf View Post
                            I disagree. I don't think whether your stand or sit has that much of an influence on your ability to isolate a muscle.
                            It's to protect your back/lower back :rolleyes:

Comment

fog, any way in particular you suggest doing upright rows? every time i do them i feel like i am hitting my traps FAR more then the shoulder muscles itself. going to heavy possibly? i can easy lift the weight, just seems as if my traps are doing the work.
                              Last edited by Bouncer; 11-07-08, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X