Shoulder Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder Pain

Something funny is going on with my shoulder and I can't figure it out. When I do lateral arm raises my right arm just stops about half way up. And thats only with 10 lbs. I can do several of them with my left arm and im right handed. A few weeks ago i had a pain on the front portion of my shoulder to where it was hard to lift my arm in front of me but then it went away. Now there is only slight pain when I apply weight. Even if im sitting in a chair and I reach down and pick up a gallon of water to take a drink i have to use both hands once I get so close to my face. And i do have full ranger of motion in my arm without weight and there is no pain.

I would go to the doctor but my insurance doesnt kick in til december first. So in the meantime im just taking it easy. Also i might note that I'm just now getting back into working out after a couple years.

Any ideas to what this could be. And for the record I do plan on seeing a doctor after December 1st.

Thanks

When did it start, any catalystic event?

Comment

this sounds like something is torn. rotator possibly. and like nekra said, were you benching heavy or something?

Comment

The first time i ever noticed pain (in the same spot) was probably 6-9 months ago. And I just figured i slept on it wrong or something and it only lasted a day or two then went away. I wasnt working out back then.

Then it started hurting the day after I did chest. I did the usual bench press, cable cross overs, flies (machine), & incline press (machine). When I did flies the trainer had me hold it when i brought my hands together. And on the incline press he had me doing negatives.

Tearing something did cross my mind but I thought when you tear something you would feel the pain instantly, right when you tore it???

Comment

Originally posted by stud_wit_style View Post
          Tearing something did cross my mind but I thought when you tear something you would feel the pain instantly, right when you tore it???
          not always. if you actually have to help your other arm lift a jug of water etc.. something is torn in there. i would get xray/mri right away.

Comment

I think its possible it could be tendonitis. I had "tennis elbow" once, and I don't play tennis. My doc said it may have been from working out or roller hockey at the time. I couldn't turn a door handle without flinching in pain. Like bouncer said, you need an mri to deduce the answer

Comment

I plan on seeing the doc after december 1st after insurance kicks in. I have absolutely no pain and can move my arm in all directions. its only when i add weight to it that i have issues. when i do the lateral arm raises it just stops then i have to bend my elbow to keep going. there really isnt much pain until i try and push it hard. Ill do some reading on torn muscles and tendonitis and see if i have some of those symptoms.

Comment

hey nekra, can you recommend some exercises to strengthen the rotator muscles? thanks

Comment

Friend of mine had severe weekness in his entire left arm and chest area do to a pinched nerve from a hernated disk.

Comment

^He probably doesnt have pain in his shoulder though. Not related.

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/image...mpingement.pdf

A. Avoid pain producing activities (overhead exercises such military press, incline flat bench, etc.)
                    B. Physician prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID)
                    C. Iontophoresis with shoulder in mild flexion and mild abduction.
                    D. Ice, preferably ice massage, before and after range of motion and strength exercises and following any activity
                    which produces pain.

Range of motion:
                    I would do this 3-4 sets and 30 reps or 5-7 sec holds
                    Internal/External Rotation
                    Horizontal Adduction Stretch
                    Corner Stretch
                    Condmans Pendulum Swing

Strength Training Exercises
                    I would do 3-4 sets of 20 reps and 4 exercises from Phase 2
                    Supine Internal/External Rotation
                    Supine Press
                    Bent Over Rows
                    Towel Squeeze
                    If your gym has one it looks like a exercise bike but for your arms and shoulders.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NYCmitch25; 11-11-08, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCmitch25 View Post
                      ^He probably doesnt have pain in his shoulder though. Not related.

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/image...mpingement.pdf

A. Avoid pain producing activities (overhead exercises such military press, incline flat bench, etc.)
                      B. Physician prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID)
                      C. Iontophoresis with shoulder in mild flexion and mild abduction.
                      D. Ice, preferably ice massage, before and after range of motion and strength exercises and following any activity
                      which produces pain.

Range of motion:
                      I would do this 3-4 sets and 30 reps or 5-7 sec holds
                      Internal/External Rotation
                      Horizontal Adduction Stretch
                      Corner Stretch
                      Condmans Pendulum Swing

Strength Training Exercises
                      I would do 3-4 sets of 20 reps and 4 exercises from Phase 2
                      Supine Internal/External Rotation
                      Supine Press
                      Bent Over Rows
                      Towel Squeeze
                      If your gym has one it looks like a exercise bike but for your arms and shoulders.

Good information...thanks. Ill start doing some of those. After further reading on various sites I am beginning to think its a shoulder inpingement. ill still plan on having the doc check it out though.

Comment

i would do the exercises with 3-5lb dbs. you can do them at home. ice and take ibuprophen 3 times a day. i would focus on the internal/external rotation exercises. you can't make it worse by doing these often. the doc is only good for a referral (if your insurance req.) and MRI. If you want the MRI your going to have to push for it.
                        Last edited by NYCmitch25; 11-11-08, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                          hey nekra, can you recommend some exercises to strengthen the rotator muscles? thanks

From this sports medicine journal: Sports Medicine Advisor 2005.4: Rotator Cuff Strain Rehabilitation Exercises

Phase I

* Isometrics
                          1. External rotation: Standing in a doorway with your elbow bent 90° and the back of your hand pressing against the door frame, attempt to press your hand outward into the door frame. Hold for 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
                          2. Internal rotation: Standing in a doorway with your elbow bent 90° and the front of your hand pressing against the door frame, attempt to press your palm into the door frame. Hold for 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
                          * Wand exercises

A. Flexion: Stand upright and hold a stick in both hands, palms down. Stretch your arms by lifting them over your head, keeping your elbows straight. Hold for 5 seconds and return to the starting position. Repeat 10 times.

B. External rotation: Lie on your back and hold a stick in both hands, palms up. Your upper arms should be resting on the floor, your elbows at your sides and bent 90°. Using your good arm, push your injured arm out away from your body while keeping the elbow of the injured arm at your side. Hold the stretch for 5 seconds. Repeat 10 times.

C. Shoulder abduction and adduction: Stand upright and hold a stick with both hands, palms down. Rest the stick against the front of your thighs. While keeping your elbows straight, use your good arm to push your injured arm out to the side and up as high as possible. Hold for 5 seconds. Repeat 10 times.

Phase II

* Tubing exercise for external rotation: Stand resting the hand of your injured side against your stomach. With that hand grasp tubing that is connected to a doorknob or other object at waist level. Keeping your elbow in at your side, rotate your arm outward and away from your waist. Make sure you keep your elbow bent 90 degrees and your forearm parallel to the floor. Repeat 10 times. Build up to 3 sets of 10.
                          * Tubing exercise for internal rotation: Using tubing connected to a door knob or other object at waist level, keep your elbow in at your side and rotate your arm inward across your body. Make sure you keep your forearm parallel to the floor. Do 3 sets of 10.
                          * Scaption: Stand with your arms to your side and with your elbows straight. Slowly raise your arms to eye level. As you raise your arms, they should be spread apart so that they are and only slightly in front of your body (at about a 30 degree angle to the front of your body). Point your thumbs toward the ceiling. Hold for 2 seconds and lower your arms slowly. Do 3 sets of 10. Hold a soup can or light weight when doing the exercise and increase the weight as the exercise gets easier.
                          * Sidelying external rotation: Lie on your uninjured side with your injured arm at your side and your elbow bent to 90°. Keep your elbow against your side, raise your forearm and hold for 2 seconds. Slowly lower your arm. Do 3 sets of 10. You can start doing this exercise holding a soup can or light weight and gradaully increase the weight as long as there is no pain.
                          * Horizontal abduction: Lie on a table or the edge of a bed face down with your injured arm hanging down straight to the floor. Raise your arm out to the side, parallel to the floor. Hold for 2 seconds and then lower it slowly. Start this exercise with no weight. As you get strnger add a light weight or hold a soup can. Do 3 sets of 10.
                          * Push ups with a plus: Begin on the floor on your hands and knees. Keep your arms a shoulder width apart and lift your feet off the floor. Arch your back as high as possible and round your shoulders (this is the "plus" part or the exercise). Bend your elbows and lower your body to the floor. Return to the starting position and arch your back again. Do 3 sets of 10.

__________________________________________________ _

Nekra speaking now.

It is very important to note that these are rehabilitaiton movements. There is no sure fire way to strenghten all of the muscles evenly, and as such you risk more injury by attempting to isolate them. Try to make sure you hit all angles evenly, and make sure your splits are well designed to not leave any of the rotator system out.

Here is a diagram of the 4 main muscles involved.: Rotator Cuff Injury

Comment

Working...
                          X