• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Suggestion

I havent posted on here for a while but, I am stuck at my current weight
    I have been training for about 3.5 yrs.
    6'3" 240lbs 23yrs old around 11% BF
    I my diet is in check and i get plenty of sleep, the problem i can only grow when i really punish my muscles, but this ocassionaly leads to pulling a muscle.

For an example I only feel like I have worked out when I go in and do chest only for 8 different exercises with 4 sets each with 8-10 reps. If i exercise like this and do a different muscle group everyday I start growing and get stronger, but I eventualy pull a muscle, If i exercise in a normal workout routine that is less intense I just stay the same size and dont grow. Basically, what I am asking is is their a middle of the road?

this is a very hard question to answer with out actually looking at your workouts and knowing exactly what you eat day in and day out.

i would put money on it though that your training is off. 8 different exercises for chest shows me something is terribly wrong with your training methods.

my simple rule for training is this. train as heavy as you can with complete control and perfect form.

to many people lift with their joints and tendons.

the fact that you talk about "pulling muscles" like its perfectly normal is yet 1 more clue that something is really off.

Comment

I've found that tempo makes a huge difference and I've observed that stretching after my workout has improved my strength too. Bouncer is right - there's something seriously wrong with your training method.

Comment

Here's my diet

8am
        6 eggs (scrambled,splash of 1%milk 2 slices of american cheese)
        half cup (before cooked) oatmeal

10 or 11am (depends on class schedule)
        Big Chicken sandwich (8 oz. chicken one slice of american cheese, some lettuce on toasted whole wheat bread)

1pm
        Big Chicken sandwich (8 oz. chicken one slice of american cheese, some lettuce on toasted whole wheat bread)

2 or 3pm (depends on class schedule again)
        Workout (take No-xplode before workout)

4-5pm
        after workout 40g protein shake

6pm
        8oz of chicken, steak or pork with a medium sized baked potatoe and salad light on hidden valley ranch dressing and some croutons

8pm either a 40g shake or 8oz of steak chicken or pork

10pm (before I go to bed) Tonite its going be 11pm cuz typing this took so long haha
        cup of low-fat cottage cheese

Now my workout: ( what I did last week)

Day 1- Chest/legs/Treadmill
        Day 2- Off
        Day 3- Back/legs/Treadmill
        Day 4- Shoulders/legs/ Treadmill
        Day 5- Abs/Forearms/Deadlifts
        Day 6- Biceps/Triceps/Treadmill
        Day 7- off

Example of my chest day
        Warmup - either light bench or dumbell presses 2 sets of 20 reps
        Incline bench
        185x10
        195x10
        215x8
        225x6
        135x15

Dumbell Fly's
        45x10
        50x10
        55x8
        60x8
        30x15

Dumbell presses
        90x10
        95x10
        100x8
        110x6
        75x15

Close-grip bench
        135x10
        155x10
        165x8
        135x15

Incline Dumbell Press
        80x10
        85x10
        90x6
        70x15

Incline Fly's
        60x10
        65x8
        70x6
        55x10

Cable Crossover
        100x15 3 times

Then either 4 sets with 15 reps of either squats or leg presses, and 3 sets of 50 for my calves that gets done 4 times a week.

After that I walk on the treadmill on an incline for 15-20 minutes 4 times a week.

Its so much to write out the whole workout but I think u will understand it.

I know you have to take my word on it but, I always strive for perfect form, becuase I always laugh when I see some person swinging their weights around wildly using momentum to do their exercises.

Only after working out like this do I feel like I actually went to the gym, the next day I feel all pumped up and i go to the gym i feel even stronger, I kno its wierd but that how its works.

I always take advice from people that are experienced in their field and any diet or workout you recomend I will be sure to try and give feedback to.

Comment

i think you have the wrong idea of what you are supposed to "feel" the next day after a workout. not every muscle group is going to feel super sore etc..

absolutely no doubt that you are over training 10x's over.

you need to cut each muscle group down to 2-3 exercises. my chest workout is 4 sets incline DB presses and 4 sets cable flys. that's it. my bicep workout is 4 sets straight bar curls and 4 sets DB hammer curls...
          Last edited by Bouncer; 11-15-08, 09:51 AM.

Comment

maybe you are using the term "pulling" in the wrong context. are you saying you ahve to take off time from training for an injury? or is it just really sore? if you are taking time off then your form is off or your "method" of lifting. some people can have good form but if they are exploding or reversing to fast on the turn around in a rep you can still hurt yourself.

Comment

Alrite I will cut back all my exercises to 2-3 per muscle group and see what happens, I feel like I will only be in the gym for like 30 minutes though.

Comment

Originally posted by Konitz View Post
                Alrite I will cut back all my exercises to 2-3 per muscle group and see what happens, I feel like I will only be in the gym for like 30 minutes though.
                lol thats a GOOD thing. if you can't stimulate muscle growth in 30 minutes. the negatives start outweighing the positives as far as a diminishing returns ratio.

Comment

30-45 min is how long you should be in the gym. how long do you think is normal? 2 hours? lol

Comment

I beat the hell out of one mucle group a day for about one hour. thats it let the chems and diet do the rest

Comment

I did chest to day was in the gym for 45 minutes

4 sets incline DB
                      4 sets Bench
                      4 sets DB fly's

I lifted as much weight as I could in good form for 8-10 reps

Comment

I did chest to day was in the gym for 45 minutes

4 sets incline DB
                        4 sets Bench
                        4 sets DB fly's

I lifted as much weight as I could in good form for 8-10 reps
                        should have left out the bench. just try it.

i do chest and calves on the same days.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post

Thats my chest workout
                          incline DBs 4 sets
                          flys 4 sets
                          heavy as I can seems to work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post

Why leave out bench?

And do you ever change up your chest workouts? Or have you been doing this for a long time?

Im not critiquing, I'm just trying to understand why. I'm sure most people in this forum are more experienced than me...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by stud_wit_style View Post
                              Why leave out bench?

And do you ever change up your chest workouts? Or have you been doing this for a long time?

Im not critiquing, I'm just trying to understand why. I'm sure most people in this forum are more experienced than me...lol.
                              i change it up all the time.

not saying to take out the flat bench. its just that he has been over training and needs a complete change.

Comment

Working...
                              X