Pregnancy workouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy workouts

SO- aside from the crooked looks I get in the gym while working out w/ a baby bump- I have some questions.

For weights, I've been sticking to mostly machines, with maybe one free weight movement at the end. Can I explain to you all how difficult this is to work out, and not really get sore? If I don't get sore on a regular basis, it feels like a wasted workout. I know I'm not supposed to be lifting heavy or anything like that, but are my workouts even being effective at ALL? I know there is cardiovascular benefits, and the baby benefits from increased blood flow w/ the circulation. But, will this really help me get back my pre-baby body faster? I don't think I could stay out of the gym either way, but I'm just wondering.

I've been keeping my reps to around 12-15, & work out w/ weights 3 days a week. Obviously, my goal is to keep they muscle I do have since I really can't build muscle, or lose any fat. I'm following that up with 20 minutes of cardio all 3 days I do weights....

Any thoughts?

I think you're doing great. The baby is growing really fast from now on out, so you do have to take it easy. There are a lot of ligaments being stretched and you don't want to risk injury. I think the cardio portion of it all is the most important - it's going to help your delivery hopefully, and it will get you back to your pre-baby body.

Stop being so hard on yourself! :spank:

Comment

i think anything on top of nothing will be good for you...obviously great care should be taken to keep your breathing and form perfect but again research has shown that its not only okay but GREAT to use weight bearing exercise while pregnant.

Comment

QUOTE from Dr. Doug Mcguff

"The physiologic demands of pregnancy on the mother are considerable, and labor is probably the most demanding activity a mother will ever go through. If an athlete knew that the most demanding event of her life was approaching in 8 or 9 months don't you think that she would prepare for that event through proper conditioning?...During labor a woman will experience high-intensity muscular contractions and extreme exertional discomfort. She will be asked to avoid Valsalva, relax her face and ventilate through these intense contractions. The ease of her delivery will be directly proportional to her muscular and metabolic condition. Poor muscular conditioning is the most common cause of non-progressive labor, fetal distress and need for emergency C-section."

Comment

Ultimate Exercise - SuperSlow In Pregnancy

whole article

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
            QUOTE from Dr. Doug Mcguff

"The physiologic demands of pregnancy on the mother are considerable, and labor is probably the most demanding activity a mother will ever go through. If an athlete knew that the most demanding event of her life was approaching in 8 or 9 months don't you think that she would prepare for that event through proper conditioning?...During labor a woman will experience high-intensity muscular contractions and extreme exertional discomfort. She will be asked to avoid Valsalva, relax her face and ventilate through these intense contractions. The ease of her delivery will be directly proportional to her muscular and metabolic condition. Poor muscular conditioning is the most common cause of non-progressive labor, fetal distress and need for emergency C-section."
            Interesting...thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
              I think you're doing great. The baby is growing really fast from now on out, so you do have to take it easy. There are a lot of ligaments being stretched and you don't want to risk injury. I think the cardio portion of it all is the most important - it's going to help your delivery hopefully, and it will get you back to your pre-baby body.

Stop being so hard on yourself! :spank:
              I know....I have to do something though- I tell you, watching that scale climb and having little to no control over it; ESPECIALLY with the level of vanity that this sport seems to have; is the most difficult. So, I guess I feel like if I'm not sore, then I'm not being productive.

That's a really interesting article about labor SC provided. Although, I think I can do without the "extreme exertional discomfort"...which to me just sounds like you're tired as shit....But- I have been sort of on the fence about actually wanting a C section.

Comment

You're not competing right now though, so don't try to stay in that mindset. It is 100% impossible for your body to NOT change right now, and you know that - so just embrace it. You've wanted this for so long, it's a very short period of time that you have to sacrifice. ;) Hey, some women talk about how they love their bodies more after having children!

As far as wanting a c-section - I've had both. I can say hands down, that I'd opt for my c-section over the hard labor I had, BUT as far as getting your body back, it may be easier to go the natural route. That just all depends on the person - stretchmarks, loose skin, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                  You're not competing right now though, so don't try to stay in that mindset. It is 100% impossible for your body to NOT change right now, and you know that - so just embrace it. You've wanted this for so long, it's a very short period of time that you have to sacrifice. ;) Hey, some women talk about how they love their bodies more after having children!

As far as wanting a c-section - I've had both. I can say hands down, that I'd opt for my c-section over the hard labor I had, BUT as far as getting your body back, it may be easier to go the natural route. That just all depends on the person - stretchmarks, loose skin, etc etc.
                  Yep- that's exactly what I heard. I can deal with it taking a little while longer to get my body back if my business doesn't get all stretched out.

27 lbs gained so far!! EEK! I am 6 months next week...So, I'm averaging 4.5 lbs/month...But, I said I didn't want to gain any more than 40...so I may be on track.

BTW- I've heard I'm not supposed to lie on my back to exercise..anyone else heard this?

Comment

Working...
                  X