Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

invited to compete in a powerlifting comp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• invited to compete in a powerlifting comp.

I was working out at a small town (1 stop light) YMCA a couple of weeks ago and the director was watching me do my workout. After I was done he commented on my size and strength and ask me if I would be interested in entering a power lifting competition he holds there regularly on Dec 20th this year. I told him I don't really train for power lifting and he pointed out that I used all the weight he had and the biggest DBs on the rack ( only 90s) and very few people he has in the Y can. I told him I would think about it. He pretty much gave me a free pass to workout there anytime I wanted to without a membership with the prospect that I was going to compete. I really did not think I would. I told my wife about it and she told my kids and now the whole family has convinced me too go for it. My question to you guys and gals is should I change what I am doing to prepare for this event or should I train and eat just like I have been. I don't think I am that strong but, I guess compared to the other people around me I move a lot of weight. I am inclined to just stay on the course I am since I am making real progress towards my goals right now.
    What do you think?

personally I'd stay doing what your doing but learn the power lifting techniques for fun. I don't want to see you get an injury so learn the techniques and warm up real well. Is it assisted or can you only use belt and chalk?

If you do compete, just stick with what you know you can do for the first comp

Comment

It's all raw as far as I know and it is not associated with any power lifting association. It is ran by a person who runs power lifting competitions and according the the YMCA's director it is" by the book" I have not been able to ascertain what book that is as of yet.
      I agree with the injury concern it is one of the reasons I did not think I would participate in the beginning. I know the rules most power lifting associations follow and I think I can meet those requirements. However, I am not going to start benching like a power lifter just to add a few pounds and risk an injury because I am unfamiliar with the form they use. I can squat to parallel and dead lift to the rules no prob. I also agree with you about sticking to what I know I will stay with weights I know I can do without hurting myself and complete the lift. All good advice thanks Mr. I

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
        personally I'd stay doing what your doing but learn the power lifting techniques for fun. I don't want to see you get an injury so learn the techniques and warm up real well. Is it assisted or can you only use belt and chalk?

If you do compete, just stick with what you know you can do for the first comp
        I agree completly stick to your regular workouts and dont get crazy and try and lift more just cuzz someone else did.

Comment

i would go for it. be smart about it and dont hurt yourself. it will give you a goal in the gym etc..

good luck whatever you decide bro.

Comment

Hey thanks everybody for you responses. I am going to go for it the only thing I am going to change about my workout is to up the weight a little on the bench and slightly decrease the volume. This contest is about what I can do not what somebody else can do. If I place that will be great if not I will have competed and that is worth something to me. And it is getting me an extra gym member ship for free at least till the comp.

Comment

Just keep training like you are now. Its too close to the meet to make any real gains towards max strength. Do it and have some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
                I am going to change about my workout is to up the weight a little on the bench and slightly decrease the volume.
                bad idea. setting yourself up for injury with no real benefits.

Comment

Yeah man totally go for it and like Bouncer said don't change anything. Just keep what you're doing and do that at the competition. You don't need ny injuries!

Comment

Good luck to you. Have fun! :party:

Comment

I weighed in at 200 lbs today and still maintaining strength 2 weeks out. Hope to hold the body weight right here or slightly lighter and continue to train at this level. I have not changed the diet or training still eating and training on a BB cut. Thanks for the encouragement everybody.

Comment

everything still going good?

Comment

Originally posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
                          I weighed in at 200 lbs today and still maintaining strength 2 weeks out. Hope to hold the body weight right here or slightly lighter and continue to train at this level. I have not changed the diet or training still eating and training on a BB cut. Thanks for the encouragement everybody.
                          Nice keep it up and dont forget to post up your out come.

Comment

Well, I have good news and bad news. I deadlifted my Personal best on Wed without a belt and at the low low body weight of 198 lbs. But, right after I did it I was informed by the director of the YMCA where the lifting comp was to be held that they had lost their judge and they were postponing the event until June.

Good news is I hit my target weight and stayed strong with out changing my training or getting injured.

Bad new no competion next week.

I do look forward to June I plan to compete in that comp God willing and I don't break anything between now and then.
                            I really want to thank all of you for your advice and encouragment. Hey and I am still the strongest, biggest and most cut guy at that small town YMCA ! :) not to mention the free membership just for training to compete there.

Comment

Working...
                            X