Blocky waist, deadlift question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocky waist, deadlift question....

Ok so even when I was in my best shape last March, I had a fairly blocky waist. (I know its mostly genetics.) I am really workin hard on my lats this time around. A lot of weighted pullups and a lot of wide grip cable rows. But my waist has a very blocky look. Should I find a replacement for traditional deaflift? (which has always been the main part of my back workout)

I'm not saying DL is what completely caused it, I know its genetics. But if I know I have those genetics, would it be wise to find some replacements? And what would u guys suggest? Good mornings? SLDL? Weighted back extensions?

yeah do rack pulls

take the bar from just below the knee, that will give you the benefits of deadlift without the blocky waist

do traditional deadlifts once a mont tops

another alternative is Dexter Jackson style deadlifts, picks a very wide grip and reps out with 3 plates a side

Comment

only deads I do are stiff leg deads with low weight, (225lbs or so for reps).

heavy deads are not a bodybuilers exercise. leave that to the power lifters etc..

Comment

^IMO it's one of those bodybuilding myths that heavy or any deadlift will give you a "blocky waist", if that were true then you wouldnt do squats either same muscle goups (the abs, lower back, obliques). i dont care what anyone says the dead is basically a reverse squat. The truth is that a wide or blocky waist is a genetic trait. There are many powerlifters who have with narrow waists. there are other reasons not to do the deadlift lol. someone with your training experience should def consider adding it to you routine. Nothing triggers a GH response like deads. if you are adv. like B then go ahead and skip it.

YouTube - Ronnie Coleman - Deadlift 800lbs - one of my fav vids
        Last edited by NYCmitch25; 12-24-08, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X