Neck Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Size

After an extended period of time of eating *very* clean and consistently doing cardio, I have made a substantial reduction in my BF %.

While this would generally be a cause for much celebration, one unwanted consequence is that my neck size has gone down substantially, probably by 1 whole dress shirt size (I didn't realize that there's such a significant amount of fat stored around the neck!). I wear dress shirts and a tie frequently for work, so I now face the unhappy prospect of having a wardrobe full of shirts that are too loose around the neck.

Are there any specific exercises to increase neck circumference? I found some weighted neck movement exercises on the web but they are clumsy and uncomfortable. Would shrugs suffice to build up neck circumference as well?

DO NOT DO ANY WEIGHT NECK MOVEMENT!

shrugs like you said. but if you had a lot of fat around your neck like that, you are just going to be happy that it is now gone and get some new shirts. :)

Comment

Thanks, B! I am a very lean guy always and now look a lot harder with the lower bodyfat, but I was NEVER someone you would look at and think as having any fat. Like I said earlier, it was quite a revelation about how insidious fat deposits are.

Comment

I agree with bouncer.... I know back in the day lots of guys were doing weighted neck movements for a thick neck but MANY of them now have permanently screwed up necks or vertibrae problems...

Comment

I have the neck problem too. The army uses a ratio of height/neck size /weight to determine body fat %

Comment

well I wouldn't say that doing weighted neck movements causes problems....most likely it was the WRONG movement and the Wrong weight. don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
              well I wouldn't say that doing weighted neck movements causes problems....most likely it was the WRONG movement and the Wrong weight. don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
              name a weighted neck movement this is good and used to put "size on the neck. lmao

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                name a weighted neck movement this is good and used to put "size on the neck. lmao
                well from your quote on the word "size" i know any answer I give will be retorted with "that won't put size on". but the medx cervical extension is a correctly developed machine to strengthen the neck muscles.

Comment

in wrestling we used the neck harness, that was years ago and so far so good

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold54 View Post
                    well from your quote on the word "size" i know any answer I give will be retorted with "that won't put size on". but the medx cervical extension is a correctly developed machine to strengthen the neck muscles.
                    but my issue with how you respond is that you know what someone is talking about but your response sort of takes it out on context. he is talking about overall neck size and scrum had mentioned a dangerous exercise. you talk about the smallest details with addressing the big issue.

"neck exercises" from a bodybuilding stand point are not needed and just dangerous. if you are a wrestler, then its a different story.

Comment

Man, i'm just lucky i guess. i have a nineteen inch neck, of solid muscle. I've never worked it out before it just grows when i grow.

Comment

Working...
                      X