fuckin shin splints again... grrrrrrrrr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuckin shin splints again... grrrrrrrrr

When i first got shin splints, the main problem was not warming up properly and starting off too intense. This was a while back and since everything was fine until today. Last week i started to notice towards the end of the week that my shins started to hurt a little during cardio. This week it just got worse and worse until today. I do intervals on the tread mill and i did about 2 intervals until my shin splints were on fire! omg i couldn't even get up to a jog. it was a fast walk for about 35 minutes which i guess wasn't too bad since i did have legs today but i didnt get my heart rate up like i wanted.. Also during my leg workout my shins 'didn't' hurt one bit.

I have a number of ideas what might be the problem but not too sure. Maybe its the jump in body weight... not balancing myself right when i run on the tread or my shoes need to be thrown away... Or maybe just killing legs too much with cardio and leg workouts... i do legs and cardio on the same day and i do cardio 5 days a week but i never had a problem in the past with that routine. I dont do anything but treadmill cuz i like running... should i switch up maybe? we have a olympic size pool at the gym i could start swimming i guess lol.

There are some compression sleeves that are suppose to help, but I have never tried them. A lot of times strengthening the area helps tremendously. Get a thera-band and tie one end to a something stationary, make a loop on the other end and put it around your foot. Pull your toe towards your shins.

Comment

Proper shoes are going to be essential if you suffer from shin splints often.

Comment

you must do a lot of running...the most common cause of shin splits is stress fracture (hairline cracks in the bone microscopic)

Rest, ice, compression, elevation (R.I.C.E) immediately after training.
        reduce the total volume (biomechanics) which caused the injury
        do a lot of warmup and stretching exercieses b4 you run

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby View Post
          There are some compression sleeves that are suppose to help, but I have never tried them. A lot of times strengthening the area helps tremendously. Get a thera-band and tie one end to a something stationary, make a loop on the other end and put it around your foot. Pull your toe towards your shins.
          i might have to start doing that. i notice too like when my shins started to hurt, they swelled up and when i would try to massage it out, it felt exactly like someone put a match head out on my leg. took me a good 10 minutes to walk without it hurting. never got this bad in the past so i dunno.

Comment

i used to get them...

Comment

Originally posted by 1badMF View Post
              i notice too like when my shins started to hurt, they swelled up and when i would try to massage it out, it felt exactly like someone put a match head out on my leg. took me a good 10 minutes to walk without it hurting. never got this bad in the past so i dunno.

And that's when you need to rest them!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCmitch25 View Post
                you must do a lot of running...the most common cause of shin splits is stress fracture (hairline cracks in the bone microscopic)

Rest, ice, compression, elevation (R.I.C.E) immediately after training.
                reduce the total volume (biomechanics) which caused the injury
                do a lot of warmup and stretching exercieses b4 you run
                it doesnt seem to feel like the bone because theres a spot about 3 or 4 inches above my ankle on the outside of my leg that swells up. it feels like muscles running through there that are about to pop like a water balloon.

Comment

well tomorrow is the last day of this week for training so should i do cardio or maybe take off a day this week and start fresh monday?

Comment

yeah stretch your calf and soleus lower leg and ice it as much as possible for the next 72 hours .... 20 min on then off not more than 3-4 times

Comment

In my experience the majority of the shin splints are from the muscle being damaged(Shin splints - muscle shin splints).

Comment

great.... well i will ice it tonight and tomorrow i think ill try doing elliptical at low intensity instead of treadmill and see if that helps. if so then ill gradually increase intensity.

Comment

ouch, I hate shin splints. Most uncomfortable pain for me..

Comment

I think that you really don't have shin splints at all, I would bet you have "anterior compartment syndrome" often mistaken for shin splints. Do a Google search and see if the symptoms fit. It's important to know the exact cause of your pain in order to treat it.

Comment

Originally posted by liftsiron View Post
                              I think that you really don't have shin splints at all, I would bet you have "anterior compartment syndrome" often mistaken for shin splints. Do a Google search and see if the symptoms fit. It's important to know the exact cause of your pain in order to treat it.
                              OK, i read up on it. There are two different kinds. Acute anterior compartment syndrome and Chronic anterior compartment syndrome.

Acute ACS is mostly related to a direct blow which results in pain in the lower leg. Swelling and tenderness occur. It says though that weakness occurs when foot/toe is bulled upwards against resistance and pain when foot toes are bent downwards.

Chronic ACS is over use and over developing the muscle through training. At rest the blood vessels are not at capacity. During exercise these blood vessels fill up much more and expand putting pressure on the sheath. Pain increases to a point where it makes running impossible. At rest pain also goes away after a few minutes and comes back again during exercise. You also get pain when bending your toes down and weakness trying to bend toes/foot up.

I believe Chronic anterior compartment syndrome is what i have. But i do not get pain or weakness lowering or raising my foot after cardio. Its always during cardio and about 10 less than 15 minutes after cardio and it goes away. I'm going to hit up the gym here in a few and probably just do a good walk on the treadmill. i've been hitting it pretty hard every week running so ill let it heal.

u can look up the info i found HERE at menshealth.com

also should i try taking any prescription i still have? i have 500 and 800mg ibuprofen with flexerile muscle relaxers. I've had muscle injuries in the past which they were prescribed.

Thanks liftsiron!

Comment

Working...
                              X