Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's this for an idea after laying off for eight weeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's this for an idea after laying off for eight weeks?

Twice a week program, with at least 48 hours in between, preferrably more:

Squat 4x6
    Bench 4x6
    Barbell Row 3x6
    Pullups 3x6
    Military Press 3x6
    (Weighted) Crunches 4x15

I start each heavy exercise warming up 10 reps with the bar.
    I'll throw in some modest arm work whenever the f*ck I feel like it.

Would this be a good program to get back into shape? I haven't lost any weight, but of course I have lost some strength and the composition of my weigth has probably changed, too.
    Would it perhaps be better to do the rows and pullups both once a week for more sets?

Thanks in advance for any useful comments.

your talking about doing the same movements every 48 hours or so? i dont really like the idea.

Comment

Not every 48 hours. I'll do them twice a week, usually on Mondays and Thursdays. The 48 hours mentioned is just a minimum of in-between rest. It's simply a full body workout program.

Comment

I don't know what your goal is but unless you are a power lifter or in prison this is a terrible program. Do you really think you can get in shape by doing 5 exercises over and over?

Comment

Originally posted by Gluesniffer View Post
          Not every 48 hours. I'll do them twice a week, usually on Mondays and Thursdays. The 48 hours mentioned is just a minimum of in-between rest. It's simply a full body workout program.
          not a fan of full body workouts bro -- i like to keep the blood in the area i am working

Comment

i would do a program like that if I was trying to train for something other than weight training just to keep a semblance of "working out". but other than that you will probably need a bit more "orthodox" training if you want your body to get used to working out again.

Comment

Well, admittedly, power is more of a concern to me than mass. And I've always heard that beginner can gain more by doing simple full body workouts (like Rippetoe for example) than by doing fancy splits. Is that an opinion that is not shared on this forum?

Comment

are you pressed for time? just curious why you can only train twice a week?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGFELLA View Post
                  are you pressed for time? just curious why you can only train twice a week?
                  Yeah I'm kind of pressed for time, certainly since I can only go to my gym on weekdays.

Comment

I doubt you will do it (complete the workout) with full comittment, not with 6 rep range.

Maybe 12 easy reps per set and you can do it but otherwise it actually looks too tough, all that blood pushed to different areas in one workout

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                      I doubt you will do it (complete the workout) with full comittment, not with 6 rep range.

Maybe 12 easy reps per set and you can do it but otherwise it actually looks too tough, all that blood pushed to different areas in one workout
                      Is there such a thing as a 2 day split?

Comment

Not trying be an ass but seems like to me you are looking for an easy route. If you can go to the gym during the week that gives you five days and that's definitely enough time to do those fancy splits.

Comment

Originally posted by Gluesniffer View Post
                          Is there such a thing as a 2 day split?
                          not sure about your goals but as far as the whole body thing alot of the crossit type workouts wil blast you from head to toe. and if you want power they concentrate power and strength quite a bit also. alot of them can be done at home with minimal equipment. you are only gonna get out of it what you put in tho.

Comment

Originally posted by rado
                            If you want power, then train heavy.
                            a year ago i would have agreed with you 100%. the past 4 or 5 moths i have hit personal best weights on all the power type lifts just by doing the cf wods. and i havnt trained heavy at all. but it coould have been kinda a shock type thing that helped also not real sure.

Comment

Most of the answers provided here seem to be pretty shallow, as in "train heavy" (what is that supposed to mean in the discussion about full body vs splits?).

I am not going to train more than two times a week since I do not have the time to do it. Provided that I am training two times a week, what do people here think is the best training program to follow? Mostly for strenght.

Comment

Working...
                              X