Warming up with the bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming up with the bar

Supposin' you're doing a heavy exercise (i.e. bench, squat, ...). Is it a good thing to do to warm up with the bar (20kg) for ten reps, or is this just fatiguing yourself before the real work is done?

If 10 reps of the bar fatigues you, maybe you shold warm up with a broomstick...

I always take a really light warm up set, usually heavier than the bar, but really light nonetheless. I use that set to connect with my body and make sure that everything is firing and that there are no injuries or tight spots.

Comment

When lifting heavy on the flat bench I would do the bar for 20 reps, 135 for 10 reps, 225 for 6 reps, 250 for 3 reps and then i would pick a weight 20 lbs lighter then my working set and do 1 rep for weight acclamation to get the joints ready for heavy weight, then I would do my heavy reps. If working light to moderate weight use anything that is easy to move and will not tire you for 15 0r 20 reps to get the blood into the specific muscles and joints involved. Warm up will help you avoid injury and prolong your lifting career.

Comment

Originally posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
        When lifting heavy on the flat bench I would do the bar for 20 reps, 135 for 10 reps, 225 for 6 reps, 250 for 3 reps and then i would pick a weight 20 lbs lighter then my working set and do 1 rep for weight acclamation to get the joints ready for heavy weight, then I would do my heavy reps. If working light to moderate weight use anything that is easy to move and will not tire you for 15 0r 20 reps to get the blood into the specific muscles and joints involved. Warm up will help you avoid injury and prolong your lifting career.

That is one hell of a warm up. Do you ever feel that you have done too much?

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieChris View Post
          what would you prefer, one less rep on your working set or would you prefer to risk a torn pec that might disrupt your training for months just for the sake of 10 instead of 9 reps?

Thats what you gota ask yourself, notwithstanding this warming up through the weights doesn't fatigue you, you'd be suprised what you have in reserve, infact warming up properly actually makes me stronger since the blodd/oxygen is saturating the muscle I'm working so there is more energy available

Comment

The hardest set for me on the bench is usally the 135lb set after that my muscles and joints are getting warmed up and I get stronger. As for energy level it is not a problem But, I don't think you could jump into this kind of thing from a low fitness level and be anything but worn out. You should see my leg warm up! LOL

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
            what would you prefer, one less rep on your working set or would you prefer to risk a torn pec that might disrupt your training for months just for the sake of 10 instead of 9 reps?

Thats what you gota ask yourself, notwithstanding this warming up through the weights doesn't fatigue you, you'd be suprised what you have in reserve, infact warming up properly actually makes me stronger since the blodd/oxygen is saturating the muscle I'm working so there is more energy available
            I agree 100%. It took me a long time to learn this.

Comment

3v1Lj03 could you give us, me, an idea of these weights in comparison to your working weight. IE 135 is approximately 30% of you working lifting weight , etc?

I'd like to know what your warm up is like as well Bob.

Comment

I wish I was that strong.:) I hope to get close to that in the next 16 weeks. 135 lbs right now is 45% of my working reps while on a heavy routine. I don't lift heavy all the time though. I will be starting a heavy cycle at the end of the month and the first thing I will do is find what my 1 or 2 rep maxs are right now compared to my goals and this will help me plan both the working sets and the warm up sets. But, it does not really need to be a calculated percentage of your rep weight just a rough guess is sufficiant. I try to be above 50% of the working set at the 6 reps and around 70% at the 3 reps and the one rep I usally do by poundage rather then percentage. But don't get overwelmed by the numbers just do a progressive increase that gets you warmed up without any major straining going on.

Comment

How can you take this guy seriously. His name is Gluesniffer, he had fabio in his avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
                    How can you take this guy seriously. His name is Gluesniffer, he had fabio in his avatar.
                    so what, he is just being funny.

Comment

Originally posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
                      I wish I was that strong.:) I hope to get close to that in the next 16 weeks. 135 lbs right now is 45% of my working reps while on a heavy routine. I don't lift heavy all the time though. I will be starting a heavy cycle at the end of the month and the first thing I will do is find what my 1 or 2 rep maxs are right now compared to my goals and this will help me plan both the working sets and the warm up sets. But, it does not really need to be a calculated percentage of your rep weight just a rough guess is sufficiant. I try to be above 50% of the working set at the 6 reps and around 70% at the 3 reps and the one rep I usally do by poundage rather then percentage. But don't get overwelmed by the numbers just do a progressive increase that gets you warmed up without any major straining going on.
                      I have personally found warm ups to be the most perplexing part of my workout. I don't know exactly what to do. I used to do the bar for 15-20 then 95 for like 15. That being said my current workout does not really require a warm up set so this is something I will definitely reference for the future. Thanks.

Comment

I'd like to know what your warm up is like as well Bob.
                        Mr. Incredible, that would be you...I just spend too much time babysitting. Bob is Mr. Incredible from the Incredible. Either way, it would be nice to hear what you have to say as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X