front squat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front squat question

Hey guys I had a quick question. I started doing front squats to kinda change up the routine. I put the bar on my clavicles and cross my hands over the bar at the neck area. My problem comes in my shoulder. I have pretty loose shoulders, and as soon as i unrack the weight my right shoulder kinda dislocates in a downward way. It isn't a brutal pain as my shoulder is pretty scared over from years of it doing this. But I didn't know if you guys would have any suggestions on how to maybe fix the problem. I only used 135 and can only imagine how it would feel when going heavier. I figured my shoulder would eventually scar over from this too, just might take some time. any ideas? thanks

This is a common problem with cross arm rack position. You cant get the bar as close to the frontal plane as with an elbow high rack. The shear from the forward position of the barbell is hell on the shoulder joint as you have already noticed.

Please see the following: Front Squats: The Good and Bad

This isnt what you want to hear, but you truly need to work on establishing a good elbow high rack to bring that bar back into the center line.
    Last edited by Nekrawulf; 05-04-09, 09:39 PM.

Comment

hey thanks a lot for that video. I will try working on that type of hand position. again I really appreciate it

Comment

also try working on your front delts then the bat has something to hold it back, and don't lean forward

Comment

i had problems trying this too but like nekrawolf says once you get a good feel for the elbow high rack its cake.

Comment

do yall have any suggestions on how to get my wrists flexible enough. I assume just doing it over and over will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by jwoody View Post
              do yall have any suggestions on how to get my wrists flexible enough. I assume just doing it over and over will do it.
              i fractured my wrist 2 yrs ago and at first it was hard but the more you do it the more flexible it will get

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                also try working on your front delts then the bat has something to hold it back, and don't lean forward
                Its easy to say dont lean forward when you dont adress the issue of WHY he is leaning forward. Did you even look at the video i posted?

Comment

Originally posted by Nekrawulf View Post
                  Its easy to say dont lean forward when you dont adress the issue of WHY he is leaning forward. Did you even look at the video i posted?
                  i don't really feel like i am leaning forward. just having the pain in the shoulder. i will give that different grip a try this week

Comment

Sorry woody that was directed at incredible.

Let me know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                    X