how to get strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get strength

I understand that just doing a regular workout builds strength but what is the best way to get a lot of strength like increasing the weight and lowering the reps or what.
    Thanx

Eat.Make gradual increases in weight each week.Use the 2 1/2's.
    Go 1-2 reps past failure Use your/a spotter. Higher weight with about 4-8 reps works for me. Make sure you are doing good exercise like /inclineflat presses, Squats/deadlifts, Rows'weighted pulups(gotta have the basics). Supplements like creatine could help a lot.

Comment

heavy compound exercises like deads and squats

Comment

Originally posted by speedracer59
        Eat.Make gradual increases in weight each week.Use the 2 1/2's.
        Go 1-2 reps past failure Use your/a spotter. Higher weight with about 4-8 reps works for me. Make sure you are doing good exercise like /inclineflat presses, Squats/deadlifts, Rows'weighted pulups(gotta have the basics). Supplements like creatine could help a lot.
        I agree here. When going solely for strength I gennerally keep the reps below six. Allow ample recovery time 3-5 minutes. Stick to heavy compound movements (squat, deads, bench, etc) One or two negatives at the end with 105-110% of your max gets you used to feeling heavier weights also. GET A GOOD SPOTTER!!!!

Comment

Eating and diet are number one.

I personally don't believe in giving a set rep range or rest time, what ever works for you is what you should do. Some people like low reps others like high. Strength improvement is measured by either being able to lift more weight for the same amount of reps or the same amount of weight for more reps. Keep that as your goal and use a min and max rep range where you hit your max and go back down to your min and up the weight by 5-10 lbs. KEEP A LOG TO MONITOR AND TRACK YOUR PROGRESS, anything else is pure guess work and cheating.

I also don't think doing drop sets, negatives, static holds, or rest pause reps will necessarily increase strength. They can be effective plateau busters, but may also lead to overtraining and shouldn't be used all the time for every exercise. If you find your self stuck on a movement and not improving then switch it up for a couple of weeks with a different exercise and come back to that one later.

Also, as was stated in the earlier posts, compound movements should be the core of your routine i.e. bench, deads, squats, pull downs. If your improving in these they your smaller body parts will reap the benifits along with them.

cm5

Comment

Originally posted by cookmic5

I also don't think doing drop sets, negatives, static holds, or rest pause reps will necessarily increase strength. They can be effective plateau busters, but may also lead to overtraining and shouldn't be used all the time for every exercise. If you find your self stuck on a movement and not improving then switch it up for a couple of weeks with a different exercise and come back to that one later.

Also, as was stated in the earlier posts, compound movements should be the core of your routine i.e. bench, deads, squats, pull downs. If your improving in these they your smaller body parts will reap the benifits along with them.

cm5
            Yes oversight. Negatives every workout=Bad, overtraining/injury. The strength conditioning coach for my college team had us do one llift/ maybe 2, a wk w/2 negatives. Alternating lifts each week. This put 3-4 weeks between negatives. Worked for 80% of the team IMO. Definatley keep a log and find what works for you. Trust me when you find what does you will know.

Comment

Eat lots...Then eat more... you need some water retention

Comment

Working...
              X