Lat Pulldown weight exceeding bodyweight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lat Pulldown weight exceeding bodyweight

So I have come to the point where I am lat pulling more than my body weight. Our gym has the larger pull down machine, so you every time you grab the bar you have to stand up on the seat to grip the bar and than come down (unless you're 8ft tall)

I weigh 219 and I can manage up to 260lb lat pull downs with no issue. Today I decided to shoot for 270lbs. This is where the issue came in. I gripped the bar and tried to come down, I ended up getting stuck. So after another attempt I managed to my knees to the stopper and pull myself down (not an easy task).

Did 6 reps and called it a day.

What is an easier way to get the weight down and manage myself on the seat properly without having a spot there?

I guarantee your form is utterly appaling, try dropping the weight and doing it properly. Don't be that guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
      I guarantee your form is utterly appaling, try dropping the weight and doing it properly. Don't be that guy!
      exactly.

no way in shit can you "manage 260lbs easily". more like you can pull 260 up and down.

the point of training is to train in the muscle, not heave and ho weight like a dipshit.

pull the weight down, feel the lats, squeeze them, hold for a second and slowly back up.

to give you an idea, my normal weight on lat pull down is around 180-200lbs for 10 slow controlled reps.

try holding the weight at the bottom and everything changes..

Comment

Never thought it that way. I'll give it a try again next week. Thanks.

Comment

lol

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
            lol
            don't lol me. I used to do that many years ago, and than saw the pro's doing it differently and before I knew it people at my gyms were doing it differently.

I honestly thought i was doing it wrong because there is no way i could move up to this weight quickly.

Comment

I agree with MR I bro check fourm.
              If you can do that much weight your better off doing weighed pull ups anyways

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
                don't lol me. I used to do that many years ago, and than saw the pro's doing it differently and before I knew it people at my gyms were doing it differently.

I honestly thought i was doing it wrong because there is no way i could move up to this weight quickly.
                Its a fair point bro, we've all see branch warren pulldowns and ronnie coleman dumbell curls. Don't follow that shit or in ten years you'll be fucked. I'm dealing with bulged disks right now from years of shite posture and bouts of ego training. Its not like I'm saying I'm perfect but trust me form = longevity of progressive gains. Trying to train like so exibition pro sessions on megadoses is unrealistic bro, do the basics right and you'll be happier

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                  Its a fair point bro, we've all see branch warren pulldowns and ronnie coleman dumbell curls. Don't follow that shit or in ten years you'll be fucked. I'm dealing with bulged disks right now from years of shite posture and bouts of ego training. Its not like I'm saying I'm perfect but trust me form = longevity of progressive gains. Trying to train like so exibition pro sessions on megadoses is unrealistic bro, do the basics right and you'll be happier
                  yea man I agree. Definitely going to re-evaluate my posture and see where i am at. Thanks

Comment

At my gym the lat pulldown machines have pads that go over your thighs to hold you down. I often go 60-80lbs or more beyond my bodyweight with pretty damn good form.

Comment

Originally posted by liftsiron View Post
                      At my gym the lat pulldown machines have pads that go over your thighs to hold you down. I often go 60-80lbs or more beyond my bodyweight with pretty damn good form.
                      yea those are the pads i am talkin about. Getting down onto my seat was the issue. Now that i learned i am doing bad form, fuck it, dropping the weight

Comment

Working...
                      X