We need a powerlifting forum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need a powerlifting forum!

I don't see a PL forum on this board. I prefer strength training and PL over BB. It could also be a good way of bringing new members to the board!

What does everyone else think!
    Attached Files

I totally agree!

Comment

Re: We need a powerlifting forum!

Originally posted by john123
      I don't see a PL forum on this board. I prefer strength training and PL over BB. It could also be a good way of bringing new members to the board!

What does everyone else think!
      i agree 2 bc i think as powerlifters we dont get enough respect
      n i think it should also be an olympic sport

Comment

I can see what bouncer has to say about it. I don't have a problem adding at it as a sub-forum.

Comment

sounds good to me:)

Comment

I would love to see it

Comment

me too.....I train more for strength anyway and my routines more closely resemble a powerlifting routine...

Comment

well I know that it will cause strife if I open it because I don't believe anyone should use explosive movements UNLESS they are specifically training for a powerlifting event. You guys would hate me because I would be argueing left and right about proper lifting, LOL. maybe somebody else can mod it because it would cause me nightmares to have people training that way for regular training.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecold54
                  well I know that it will cause strife if I open it because I don't believe anyone should use explosive movements UNLESS they are specifically training for a powerlifting event. You guys would hate me because I would be argueing left and right about proper lifting, LOL. maybe somebody else can mod it because it would cause me nightmares to have people training that way for regular training.
                  I don't know much about powerlifting, but I believe the movements are explosive, but form and technique have to be on key still in order to avoid injury. However of course you got the guys who bastardize the whole routine to get more weight up. Too bad goldenear doesn't come to this forum. Is GS a powerlifter? Hey stone, is it ok to throw my ass when I do curls? :D

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
                    I don't know much about powerlifting, but I believe the movements are explosive, but form and technique have to be on key still in order to avoid injury. However of course you got the guys who bastardize the whole routine to get more weight up. Too bad goldenear doesn't come to this forum. Is GS a powerlifter? Hey stone, is it ok to throw my ass when I do curls? :D
                    thats the thing though, you can have perfect "form" and still get hurt. That is why I don't understand why people use that type of training for anything unless it is for an actual competition. and even then most powerlifters don't use explosive movement until they get a few months out from the contest. Momentum (or any movement other than voluntary muscular contraction) is the cause of injury. Lots of people say that heavy weights cause injury but that is not true. If someone were to move (or try to)move more weight than could but slowly and under control with a perfect form then they would not be able to move it which will not injury someone. It is when the body is out of alignment and a weight is moved whether light or heavy that injury occurs.

and no you shouldn't move your ass around when curling or some guys might take a liking to you. :D

Comment

I have some powerlifting pics to post too!

Comment

Yeah I would like 2 learn more about power lifting..........

Comment

stonecold let me ask you a question, when i push heavy weight,,on bench press for example, i bring the weight down with control and pause for about a second an inch above my chest. then with as perfect form as i can get (ass on the bench, shoulders flush, no compensating!) i try to initiate all my muscle fibers at once and push up with as much power as i can. it isnt to fast because it's against heavy resistance, but its not a slow delibrate set. is this a waste of training time? im trying to get stronger, dont care about size, cuz i know it will come. what do u think?

Comment

Originally posted by MDAM21
                            stonecold let me ask you a question, when i push heavy weight,,on bench press for example, i bring the weight down with control and pause for about a second an inch above my chest. then with as perfect form as i can get (ass on the bench, shoulders flush, no compensating!) i try to initiate all my muscle fibers at once and push up with as much power as i can. it isnt to fast because it's against heavy resistance, but its not a slow delibrate set. is this a waste of training time? im trying to get stronger, dont care about size, cuz i know it will come. what do u think?
                            I'm not SC, but he's always telling me that strength is a CNS factor. For gains in strength, i'd say after the pause on the negative, you'll want to push the bar up as fast as possible. Of course under the weight, the bar won't move very fast, but the CNS will benefit from the explosive movement. If i'm wrong, SC will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by MDAM21
                              you are just mistaken on the initiating muscle fibers. the way you described it you are actually using less fibers than possible. Muscle fibers only fire if needed. The cadence you desrcibed, which is exploding from the bottlom up (even if the weight is not moved extremely fast). If you are not using a deliberate musclular push to get a weight up then you must be using something else to get the weight up, does that make sense. I am just trying to say and most people don't seem to get this if you are only using your muscle to get a weight up when moving it slowly then there must be other factors to get a weight up faster. some of these things are momentum, stretch reflex boucning, squirrming, etc... To activate more muscle fibers you would HAVE to move slow. As you move a weight (say at a five second positive) as the seconds go by some fibers burn out and others take over. You obvioulsy get to a point where you don't have enough ATP to overcome the gravity against the weight and that is when you can't lift the weight anymore. If you move the weight up in 1 or 2 seconds then you give the muscle no time to engage other fibers to assist to get the weight up. Let me know if that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X