Clear All

• Post your leg workout

What do you guys do for legs?

My leg workout typically is:

Squats
    Lunges
    Hammy curls
    Calf raises

I want to add hack squats to the mix? Is regular + hack squats too much? Should I drop the lunges if I add the hacks?

Goal is strength, not hypertrophy.

Extns, one power move
    One hamstring movement

Comment

Mr. I, I wanted to add the hack squats to hit the quads - prefer the compound movement instead of the extensions. What do you think?

Comment

Depends on what week it is. If its during my deadlift week, no squats. If its no deadlift week, than i do squats.

Deadlift week:

5-6 sets Leg Press
        5 sets Leg extensions
        5 sets seated Calf raises
        5 sets seated Leg Curls

Non deadlift week:

5-6 sets Front Squats
        4 sets Hack Squats
        5 sets seated calf raise
        5 sets seated leg curls

Comment

That's a lot of friggin sets... how long do your workouts take?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
            That's a lot of friggin sets... how long do your workouts take?
            Leg days are the longest. 1hr 30min usually. Kill them repeatedly.

If i want to keep it under an hour. 8 sets of Leg Press, and on the last set i do a drop set and than sit on the leg press for 10min so i can be able to walk to my car, lol.

Typically it looks like this:

1st Set: 4 plates (2 on each side) for 15 reps
            2nd Set: 8 plates for 14 reps
            3rd Set: 10 plates for 12 reps
            4th Set: 12 plates for 11 reps
            5th Set: 14 plates for 10 reps
            6th Set: 16 plates for 8 reps
            7th Set: 18 plates for 6 reps
            8th Set (Drop Set): 18 plates for 5-6 reps, followed by one plate from each side taken off after every set. So i'll go from 18 plates down to 2 plates.

my break is 10min sitting on the leg press re-hydrating and resting. After that its a challenge to walk. Usually after 20min i am back to normal. In that 20min, its 5 sets of Calf Raises and 5 Sets Leg Curls.

Comment

I hate leg presses, never do them. My lower back rounds too much. I don't feel it is a very ergonomically safe exercise, at least for me. I pretty much stick to squats.

Comment

If you are looking for strength, why not squat jumps. Squat down deep, explode up while brining your knees to you chest, land softly. Repeat. Nothing like plyometrics

Comment

I used hacks for years and found them great but where you lookng for strength I'm not sure that's the way forward. Some people get strong and then hack heavy but I'm not sure about using hacks to get strong if you get me. It would be hard on the knees also.

I would drop your lunges and focus on heavy leg press personally, don't do them FRM, just to 90 degrees but load that thing up with a spotter. Or as Rado says do box squats.

Comment

I can't name a set routine on what I do for any body part. I change everything up all the time, different movements, different reps, different weight etc.

My goal is always maximum pump and growth, I care little about strength.

Comment

Lots of squats, plyo, sled and prowler work, lunges, etc...

Could be bodyweight, barbell, sandbag, etc...

Almost never the same thing twice.

Comment

Does toe positioning matter on hacks? Straight forward, outwards like regular squats? I do them on the machine. My stupid gym has octagonal plates and they keep rolling around on me - I try to never do stuff off the ground except for DLs.

Comment

Squats 4x15
                          Leg press 3 sets pyramiding up and down each set from 250kgs to 0kgs then back up
                          Single leg lying leg curl 4x12, 12, 8, 6
                          Seated leg curl 4 x 12, 12, 8, 8
                          Leg extension 4 sets 25 reps moderate weight 50-60kg
                          Hungarian Deadlift 4 sets 12 reps
                          Walking lunges 20 steps 4 sets.

I do calves on a separate day
                          Seated Calf Raise 4x30-40
                          Standing Calf Raise 4x20-30
                          Donkey Calf Raise 4x20-30

I do quads twice a week. And calves once.

Comment

^ That's a lot of calf work - 12 sets?

I think I am settling on a twice a week leg workout scheme. That should fit reasonably well with my other goals.

I am doing box squats, hack squats, hamstring curls, leg extensions and calf raises. Might throw in lunges here and there depending on time and how I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                              Does toe positioning matter on hacks? Straight forward, outwards like regular squats? I do them on the machine. My stupid gym has octagonal plates and they keep rolling around on me - I try to never do stuff off the ground except for DLs.
                              If I do ties straight forward it hits sweep more or toes out hits tear drop over knee more. When it comes to squats you should do what's comfortable and natural for you or else your headed for injury. If you ever change positioning or grip compared to what your used to be sure to go steady the first few times.

I'm just experimenting with raised heels on squats at the moment on account of my flat feet and its more comfortable that's for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X