Should I workout when sore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I workout when sore?

This has probably been answered somewhere in the forum but the search function isn't working for me right now for some reason...sorry if this is repetitive.

I had stopped weight training for about 6 months and had concentrated on losing weight. I'm now ready to start weight training again. My first workout session was Monday (today being Thursday). I'm just doing a beginner's workout of Upper body Monday/Thursday, Lower body Tuesday/Friday.

So I've had 2 days off from Upper body and am supposed to workout today. But my chest & arms are still REALLY sore today. Looking back at Monday, I probably over did it a little. I should have started off a bit slower...but it's too late now.

I've worked out a lot when being a little sore in the past...but this is beyond a little sore. I thought I would be better by this morning, but it's not.

So being this sore after 2 days rest, should I go ahead and do my workout today? Or should I wait? If I wait, should I wait until next Monday?

you mean workout the same muscles that are really sore? no, you shouldnt.

Comment

Yeah, give it a few extra days until the soreness diminishes. You'll find that pretty rapidly, we won't be as sore - in fact, I would wager that after your next workout for that bodypart, you'll be back to a normal 24-48 hr soreness period.

This is what you get for not working out for 6 months, so don't let that happen again! :noo: :)

Seriously, weight training should ALWAYS be a component of any weight loss program. That's the only way to retain muscle mass while focusing on FAT loss, not necessarily WEIGHT loss. If you lose a bunch of muscle mass during the process, then that's a form of weight loss that you DON'T want.

Comment

Yeah, I appreciate it. Btw...sorry for not posting in the Beginner's forum. Just realized that.

I've been reading a lot the past couple weeks and came to that realization regarding fat loss vs. weight loss. This is what inspired me to get back into weight training. I still have about 10-15 lbs of fat I'd like to lose so I'm trying to find that balance of calories that works for me where I can lose the fat but retain the muscle.

Thanks for the advice regarding the soreness Bouncer & Scrum. I got a lot of results from Google but I don't trust 99% of what people say on random Q&A sites. Good to hear from some guys who know what they're talking about here. Thanks!

Comment

as Bouncer and Scrumhalf stated above, no, don't workout sore muscles. It it again hard after they have fully recovered

Comment

Working...
          X