High Rep Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Rep Range

Does anyone here have experience with high rep range sets to failure. I'm talking about 20 reps or so per set.

My base is 12 reps. Every few months I change up to 15 reps or down to 8 reps. I was wondering the benefit of pushing it even higher for a month or two.

Any opinions?

Nice for a one off, but too high rep count = just pumping and throwing the weight not realy contracting properly

Comment

That's pretty much all I do. Find the weight that you can do 12 reps and do 20 reps for four sets and watch the crazy pump you get. It's gonna be damn near impossible to do all 20 reps for four sets so don't be afraid to stop for a quick three count break then continue to finish the set.

Comment

Depends on how much weight your using. Ronnie Coleman is a high rep man but look how much weight he is using. I say whatever gets you the best pump with perfect form.

Comment

I do high reps on legs days, i feel like my legs respond better with that.

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
            I do high reps on legs days, i feel like my legs respond better with that.
            :agreed:

Comment

Good for depletion days on a carb cycle. Not good for bulk or strength.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysgrowing View Post
                Does anyone here have experience with high rep range sets to failure. I'm talking about 20 reps or so per set.

My base is 12 reps. Every few months I change up to 15 reps or down to 8 reps. I was wondering the benefit of pushing it even higher for a month or two.

Any opinions?
                I think its always a good way to mix it up to keep the body from going stale. Something I wouldnt do every workout,,,but here and there for sure.

Comment

I have been doing this for just over a week now. A few things.

1. the pump of hitting failure between 18-20 reps is crazy. The burn makes me want to stop. But I push through until my muscles are done.

2. The soreness I feel the next day has been close to paralyzing.

I will be keeping this up for a few weeks

Comment

Na, I'd go back to strength 8-12 after this week. Do it 1 x a month instead. Its 'amazing' because you dont change up your routine enough like most of us :). I kno you will lose size if you keep it up but have more definition if thats what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by jack tors View Post
                      Na, I'd go back to strength 8-12 after this week. Do it 1 x a month instead. Its 'amazing' because you dont change up your routine enough like most of us :). I kno you will lose size if you keep it up but have more definition if thats what you want.
                      I change everything up every 4 weeks. I am one of those guys that brings a notebook and writes everything down. I don't mind losing size. I have been leaning more and more into functional training. So losing some of my 200lbs won't bother me much.

Have you done much of high rep range training? If so, does the burn always feel like this?

Comment

I think the pump and burn are overrated. Sure they feel good, but physiologically they are not indicative of anything other than increased blood flow and glycogen depletion, respectively. You'll definitely build endurance with high rep ranges though.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                          I think the pump and burn are overrated. Sure they feel good, but physiologically they are not indicative of anything other than increased blood flow and glycogen depletion, respectively. You'll definitely build endurance with high rep ranges though.
                          My weights had to be dropped quite a bit. I typically do two sets to failure for the exercises I do, sometimes three. If I hit failure at 20 the first set, the second at the same weight I was lucky to get 18

Comment

My warm up sets are in the 30-40 range... but once i get to working sets it's right around 8-12 reps. I've gotten older so the warm up reps are crucial... and i have to be properly warmed up so i don't hurt myself... lesson learned from tearing my rear delt 3.5 years ago

the pump is great tho =)

Comment

I decided to stop the high rep range for the time being. Being the summer, my carbs are low (vain, I know). I found after two weeks, I am feeling sluggish. I'm heading back to my normal rep range until I leave for school

Comment

Working...
                              X