Running VS Walking up hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running VS Walking up hill

Need your guys' opinion and/or expertise. I've recently decided to get my cardio game back up, not so much to get in marathon running condition, as much as I want to just shed some extra body fat.
    At both gyms I go to, the one down the street and the one in my complex (cardio only), they use those precor treadmills. Well I've been playing with the levels of speed and incline trying to see which is optimal for burning body fat. I've stuck with a comfortable, fairly simple program of just either a full 15% incline at about 3-4 mph (those are mph right? Haha) which burns me around 13 cals per minute. Or ill run at around 7mph at a 2-3% incline which according to the machine yields about the same cals per minute.

Ill do this till I got no more gas or just for a quick morning cardio every morning.

Questions..

How accurate are those treadmills when it comes to telling you how many cals you're burning?

Is it better to run in the morning or@ night? (I've been goin in the morning on an empty stomach figuring id burn up some fat stores.)

Any comments, opinions welcomed.

Thanks

I am jogging/light run Sunday's-Wednesday's for about 15min on an empty stomach. I drink water as soon as i wake up and than i use the bathroom, change, and make an amino acid shake. I have definitely noticed the fat dropping. In one week you'll shed a 5lbs+

Comment

Calorie counters are garbage. Running is going to be better than walking any day because you are moving a lot more than your legs while running.

Morning vs. night... hard to say. There's data that fasted cardio burns fat, but it can also enhance muscle burning, so it's a double edged sword. Basic approach is - do whatever works with your schedule that you'll be able to stick with.

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
        I am jogging/light run Sunday's-Wednesday's for about 15min on an empty stomach. I drink water as soon as i wake up and than i use the bathroom, change, and make an amino acid shake. I have definitely noticed the fat dropping. In one week you'll shed a 5lbs+
        If you shed 5 lbs per week, I can guarantee at least half of it is water or muscle. Don't shoot for more than 2-2.5 lbs per week of FAT loss - it is not possible.

Comment

Thanks scrum.

Comment

I like running in the morning too dna gets my day ready for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
              If you shed 5 lbs per week, I can guarantee at least half of it is water or muscle. Don't shoot for more than 2-2.5 lbs per week of FAT loss - it is not possible.
              Yea, i know a lot is water. Freaks me out because near the end of the week i dip to 210, i just eat it back over the weekend :P

Comment

Walk and burn fat, job and lose muscle and upper body strength

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                  Walk and burn fat, job and lose muscle and upper body strength
                  Tell that to the Olympic sprinters who look more like a bodybuilder then any other Olympic athlete.

Comment

Speaking of sprinting...

Scrum, do you ever just run sprints for cardio? Since soccer season is here I've been getting a lot of sprinting in. Since we play 9v9 it really is a sprint - walk - sprint - walk type of game. I'd much rather do that then jog for 3 miles.

Comment

I have heard those power sprint type things release all kinds of gh and test into your system. Could be just a bunch of rubbish though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadd77 View Post
                        Speaking of sprinting...

Scrum, do you ever just run sprints for cardio? Since soccer season is here I've been getting a lot of sprinting in. Since we play 9v9 it really is a sprint - walk - sprint - walk type of game. I'd much rather do that then jog for 3 miles.
                        I used to run intervals on the track but they are very hard on my old joints.. :) so I quit doing them. I do a lot of conditioning with intervals but not necessarily sprinting any more. But if you can do them, running intervals are a FANTASTIC way to build fitness. For example, walk the curves on a track and run the straights.

I also do hill sprints when I get a chance (I don't live near a hill and I hate driving a long distance to work out). It is where I run up a hill, walk back down, run up, etc.

I'll try to find some links and post them.

Comment

Originally posted by COLOSSUS View Post
                          Need your guys' opinion and/or expertise. I've recently decided to get my cardio game back up, not so much to get in marathon running condition, as much as I want to just shed some extra body fat.
                          At both gyms I go to, the one down the street and the one in my complex (cardio only), they use those precor treadmills. Well I've been playing with the levels of speed and incline trying to see which is optimal for burning body fat. I've stuck with a comfortable, fairly simple program of just either a full 15% incline at about 3-4 mph (those are mph right? Haha) which burns me around 13 cals per minute. Or ill run at around 7mph at a 2-3% incline which according to the machine yields about the same cals per minute.

Ill do this till I got no more gas or just for a quick morning cardio every morning.

Questions..

How accurate are those treadmills when it comes to telling you how many cals you're burning?

Is it better to run in the morning or@ night? (I've been goin in the morning on an empty stomach figuring id burn up some fat stores.)

Any comments, opinions welcomed.

Thanks
                          Running for sure. Ya there is a chance you will loose muscle but that will happen anyway if you wanna be ripped.
                          keep you body guessing. run , walk up hill, jog up hill, walk flat, sprint, ECT
                          I change every 5 mins or so. sometimes quicker when sprinting up hill,lol

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                            Tell that to the Olympic sprinters who look more like a bodybuilder then any other Olympic athlete.
                            Sprinting not jogging! Short burst explosive like weights not jogging

Comment

Off topic a bit, but I do an hour of cycling either at the velodrome doing 500m standing start sprints followed by 10 lap cooldown, repeat for an hour. or I go for ride on road for an hour.

IMO the velodrome sprints rips the water out and seems to burn more fat.

Comment

Working...
                              X