Any suggestions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions.....

Starting to do deadlifts. Never done them before....Working on Getting the form down and with light weight to start. After a few weeks I'll start increasing weight. Lower back def needs work and want to increase strenght there.

Right now Im just doing a light set of 6 to 8 then working with 1 plate then adding a 35 to it and doing 3 sets for 4 reps. As I stated earlier, I just want to get the form down and get the muscles tuned up prior to "working them" I dont need any back injuries at my age. Plus I'm a skinny shit now and need to increase in slow increments:thumup:

Besides me raking the hell out of my shins it seems to be going good.

Any suggestions to what to look for so as to avoid injuries and also any streching exercises for before and after deadlifting.

Any other things I can do to concentrate on lower back? Thanks.

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
    Starting to do deadlifts. Never done them before....Working on Getting the form down and with light weight to start. After a few weeks I'll start increasing weight. Lower back def needs work and want to increase strenght there.

Right now Im just doing a light set of 6 to 8 then working with 1 plate then adding a 35 to it and doing 3 sets for 4 reps. As I stated earlier, I just want to get the form down and get the muscles tuned up prior to "working them" I dont need any back injuries at my age. Plus I'm a skinny shit now and need to increase in slow increments:thumup:

Besides me raking the hell out of my shins it seems to be going good.

Any suggestions to what to look for so as to avoid injuries and also any streching exercises for before and after deadlifting.

Any other things I can do to concentrate on lower back? Thanks.
    I dont think 4 rep range is any good especially if you are trying to learn them.
    I think roman chair exersize would help here is what that looks like
    Powerline PCH24X Roman Chair/Back Hyper Extension - Weight Benches
    I found that link from google I didnt know how to explne it so I found picture,lol

Comment

Yeah, the back hyperextension exercise while you are holding a plate close to your chest (start with a 25, work your way up to a 45) will work best for strengthening your lower back.

Comment

Rocket, what ya mean by 4 rep range isnt good trying to learn them? Not enough reps/sets, weight what??

The reason I started there was to test for sorness, how I would feel next day ect. I could have done plenty more, but Im just trying to get the form right and understand what I'm doing so as to not break my old ass starting out with too much weight or too many reps.

baby steps bro baby steps..LOL

I'll look and see if the Gym has a system i could work that roman chair exercise... I'll look into it. great suggestion, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
          Rocket, what ya mean by 4 rep range isnt good trying to learn them? Not enough reps/sets, weight what??

The reason I started there was to test for sorness, how I would feel next day ect. I could have done plenty more, but Im just trying to get the form right and understand what I'm doing so as to not break my old ass starting out with too much weight or too many reps.

baby steps bro baby steps..LOL

I'll look and see if the Gym has a system i could work that roman chair exercise... I'll look into it. great suggestion, thanks.
          Oh I thought you were maxing out weight doing 4 reps. you just decided to stop at 4 reps.
          I agree dont go to heavy to fast actually you probably dont even need dead lifts. I would just do the roman chair and as scrum said you can grab a 25 or 45 lb weight when your body weight isnt enough.

Comment

I phazed out deadlifts and flat bench a few years ago. thoes are two good power movments but I didnt need it at my old ass age
            I also do a lot more 1 leg lunges with dumbells over big heavy squats dont get me wrong I still squat but I only squat on smith machine and dont go past 405 anymore.

Comment

I liked Rippetoe's deadlift technique.

Here is some Rippetoe videos showing the basics.

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Back Angles - YouTube

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Alignment Pt. 1 - YouTube

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Alignment Pt. 2 - YouTube

Comment

Good stuff, thanks guys!

Scrum, those are what i watched as well.

Comment

Found the rack in the Gym tonight.. it's now part of the back routine. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by rado
                    :agreed::agreed:

faggot!
                    :thumup:

Comment

Working...
                    X