Training for the pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training for the pump

I have been working with heavy weight (for me) and I focused on increasing the weight for every exercise. Now that I feel that I have hit respectable weights I wanted to switch over and just train for the pump and try to delay/prevent injury. If anyone could give me an idea on how to setup a routine and go about the exercises it would be greatly appreciated.

i train for the pump only on arms. Biceps and triceps are small enough muscles to hit them for high reps. 4 sets of 20reps.

Comment

You really have to find what works for you. Typically 8-15 rrps is the range. Any less is more syrength size training and any more you just starve oxygen from the muscle. I eould just syart out shooting for 12 and really squeeze. Otherwise look inyo FST7 which is what cuyler and hrath use

Comment

i train every muscle for the pump. its all i focus on.

there is no set routine. find a comfortable weight and exercise that feels good and blast the fuck out of it. dont count reps, just go until you cant anymore. 3-4 sets per exercise.

Comment

See I considered 8-10 for heavy weight, so I was in the 15-20 range tonight for chest and back, I did short rests between sets and had a crazy pump when I was finished. I am still doing respectable weight so I think I am gonna run this rep range for 8 weeks and then evaluate. Each workout for my last exercise for each muscle I also just blasted them not counting reps and just pushing till I could lift the weight anymore. This is definitely a shock to the system.

Comment

same as b i train for the pump i dont care about strength. "cool bro you can squat 12 plates but my quads look better than yours so enjoy" bodybuilding is about shape and aesthetics not the amount you lift. i normally keep my reps between 12-15 i get a nice pump and its enough to get a small cardio response so i can stay off the treadmill. thats imo though others will have their own mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
              i train for the pump only on arms. Biceps and triceps are small enough muscles to hit them for high reps. 4 sets of 20reps.
              you better start training to look like you lift weights. :rofl:

Comment

Now for your sets, what is the usual break time you take in between sets? I noticed if I only took like 30-45 seconds rest between sets that had a big impact on how pumped I got. If i waited say 60-120 seconds it felt like my first set all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Konitz View Post
                  Now for your sets, what is the usual break time you take in between sets? I noticed if I only took like 30-45 seconds rest between sets that had a big impact on how pumped I got. If i waited say 60-120 seconds it felt like my first set all over again.
                  not long. i dont count but i would say about a minute or a bit less.

Comment

Thanks alot for the help on this. I have been really strict about getting 8-9 hours of sleep and diet-wise I really understand what my body needs. Now I want to experiment with different types of training to see how far I can take my physique.

Comment

I find I have to wait longer between sets for the big compound exercises like deeds and deep squats - norm 90 to 100 secs, but for the isolation or smaller compounds, 1 min is good for me.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                        i train every muscle for the pump. its all i focus on.

there is no set routine. find a comfortable weight and exercise that feels good and blast the fuck out of it. dont count reps, just go until you cant anymore. 3-4 sets per exercise.
                        amen brother .. only way to train imo

Comment

once the person i am training with is done with his set i am in .. no talking no bullshit .. we are in and out of gym pretty quickly .. the guy i currently train with use to do heavy weight low rep .. i changed his routine .. moderate to heavy weight .. less time between sets and high reps .. get as much blood into the muscle as quickly as possible and get the fuck out of the gym ..

he has gone from 195 lbs to his now 262 lbs [ with abs ] in little over a year .

Comment

Originally posted by bigscott View Post
                            he has gone from 195 lbs to his now 262 lbs [ with abs ] in little over a year .
                            Holy fuck 195 to 262 in that amount of time?

Comment

What kinda aas is he running Scott?

Comment

Working...
                              X