Advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please!

I've noticed for a long time my posture is pretty shitty and my shoulders seem to be pulled forward. My rear delts are definitely lacking so i'm going to start really emphasizing my rear delts and traps.

My question is, should I completely leave out chest and front delts and concentrate on my lacking areas (traps and rear delts), or should I still do chest? If so, how often?

To be clear, I don't compete or plan on competing

Stop training chest u fucking nuts brah

Comment

Talk to a physical therapist. They can give you specific exercises to correct the hunching forward, which is very common with lifters because, like you realize, the emphasis on chest and front delt development relative to the back and rear delts. Of course you can emphasize those body parts which you suggest, but there are also exercises you can do, like standing with your back against the wall and trying to move your head back until the back of the head is also touching the wall. You'll be surprised how much effort you may have to put in to do this. Common tendency with both the typical gymhead as well as anyone working at a desk job with a computer is to move the head forward relative to the vertical extension of the spine. This, coupled with the slouching forward, can cause real tightness and stress around the shoulder and neck area.

Comment

Right on dude, thanks. I guess I'll have to find a new regimen to exclude pressing movements for awhile

Comment

I don't think you need to exclude pressing movements. You need to add stuff to complement the pressing movements, and see if you can get some physical therapist to prescribe exercises that you can do to fix your posture.

Comment

Sorry scrum, Looks like I responded before I saw your post. Thanks for the response. I'll definitely be going to a physical therapist, but in the meantime, you don't think I need to avoid doing chest? And another question, if I do need to slow down on movements that emphasize chest and front delts, what exercises do you suggest for traps since those are my weakest body part and I can't afford to keep them out

Comment

Originally posted by casby View Post
              I've noticed for a long time my posture is pretty shitty and my shoulders seem to be pulled forward. My rear delts are definitely lacking so i'm going to start really emphasizing my rear delts and traps.

My question is, should I completely leave out chest and front delts and concentrate on my lacking areas (traps and rear delts), or should I still do chest? If so, how often?

To be clear, I don't compete or plan on competing
              If you have developed chest and front delta without back and rear delta, a misalignment of rotator cuff could be causing your "hunch". Their a specific exercises to work the rotator cuff muscles (very small muscles that hold your shoulder ball and socket in place) that are done with either very light dumb bells, rubber straps or light cables.

They are kinda hard to explain, so google or YouTube search them.

Agree on seeing physical therapist or osteopath.

Comment

I disagree with scrum, I say leave out benching etc for a few months. Just like a sculpter you gotta add in some places and take away others.

Comment

Well, my point is you don't have to forsake bench entirely, just back off a bit and add complementary exercises. I do think you should figure out how to address the underlying posture issue though.

Comment

By removing bench completely and training the weak area you are killing 2 birds with 1 stone. If an area grows to strong and starts to overpower other areas of the body you should back off that area and let other areas catch up and balance off.

Comment

lmao

Comment

Bouncer, you just confirmed what my instincts has been telling me. I'll lay off pressing movements for a while

Thanks to the other guys as well for the feedback

Comment

Working...
                        X