"Lower" lats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lower" lats

Yeah yeah, I know, the latissimus dorsi is a single muscle and there's no such thing as "lower" and "upper" lats.

My back is coming along nicely, but it is looking more like a Y than a V. The top 8-10 inches below the armpits is showing nice hypertrophy, hence the Y shape. Are there any exercises that specifically target the the "lower" portion of the lats, down to near the waist? That is, turning the Y shape into a V tapered all the way down to the waist?

Or is this pretty much genetic in ternms of the insertion point of the lat muscle?

Some online searches suggested close underhand grip pulldowns and other similar exercises employing an underhand grip and close hand placement. But I don't know if there is a way to target a part of the muscle. Or will it just come with time? Or not at all if I am not genetically gifted with the right shape of the muscle?

yeah underhand pulldowns

Comment

I feel that any rowing exercises where you can pull the weight in as low as possible. Machine rows, seated rows, tbar rows all done where you pull the weight into just above the groin area is best (imo) for lower lats.

Comment

all genetic. cant train parts of a muscle.

Comment

I guess Dennis Wolf would be a good example. Done everything, gotten better, cant seem to bring his lats down.

Challenging that would be charles glass' theory that you can change the shape of different muscle groups by varying exercises positions etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GrowthMan View Post
            I guess Dennis Wolf would be a good example. Done everything, gotten better, cant seem to bring his lats down.

Challenging that would be charles glass' theory that you can change the shape of different muscle groups by varying exercises positions etc.
            dennis wolf is the perfect example. high lats but looks damn good anyway.

Comment

^ yep that's what my lats look like :weights:

Well, at least in terms of shape if not size lol.....

Comment

Working...
              X