Training on an empty ish stomach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training on an empty ish stomach

I usually have a protein shake with some grape juice and my pre workout drink before the gym. I hate the feeling of training with food in my stomach. Anyone else like this? Down side? Up side?

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
    I usually have a protein shake with some grape juice and my pre workout drink before the gym. I hate the feeling of training with food in my stomach. Anyone else like this? Down side? Up side?
    I can't do it. I feel weak and shakey.

Comment

I think it's all mental. While I was mountain biking regularly I couldn't start a ride if I didn't have my stomach full because I knew I was gonna need that food as fuel for that 10 mile climb. But it's the total opposite if I'm lifting. I don't like having a full belly before the workout but I have to have a preworkout shake or something so I don't get that starving feeling during the workout.

Comment

^ +1. All mental. I lift a lot of times pretty early in the morning, as I can rarely do so during the day due to work constraints. I have tried lifting on a cup of black coffee, as well as after having a big bowl of oatmeal and a banana (after about 45 min or so). I have never seen a difference in strength, energy, etc. I think once you get used to lifting on an empty stomach, it will be fine.

Comment

I, also, can't workout with a full stomach. I'll eat something light about an hour before I hit the gym, but I'll be too lazy if my stomach was full.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
            ^ +1. All mental. I lift a lot of times pretty early in the morning, as I can rarely do so during the day due to work constraints. I have tried lifting on a cup of black coffee, as well as after having a big bowl of oatmeal and a banana (after about 45 min or so). I have never seen a difference in strength, energy, etc. I think once you get used to lifting on an empty stomach, it will be fine.
            Pretty much what I have experienced.

A banana or half a shake if I have an hour or more before.

Comment

empty stomac has to big a chance my blood sugar will get to low and I cant do anything when that happens. cant be full either but there is a happy medium I like to find and it is more toward the hungry than full side.

Comment

yea i use to know a guy that would pig out before gym. never understood it.

Comment

I could never do that. Empty stomach that is. I couldn't go after a Thanks Giving meal either. But a cup of oatmeal seems to do the trick. Light. And stables glucose. And seems to give me most energy for those long sessions.

Comment

I have to have at least an hour between the last meal and the workout. I try to shoot for an hour and a half to 2 since I lift in the afternoon and I've already had a few meals on the day so 3.5 hours or so isnt a huge deal between pre and post workout.

Comment

I hate doing anything physical with a full stomach. About the only thing in my gullet when I go in the gym is a few scoops of jack and water. I do constantly hit the water fountain in the gym though between sets. It gives me about a min total to walk over get a bit of water and walk back..BOOM next set...good timing for me..

Comment

Working...
                      X