The value of monitoring heart rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The value of monitoring heart rate

As I have stated many times on this board, I am a big proponent of heart rate monitoring during CV exercise. Everyone knows that it is essential to make sure you are in the right zone - fat burning vs. CV performance, etc.

However, an oft-ignored benefit of monitoring your heart rate is the information it gives on overtraining or exhaustion. As we know, overtraining can be counterproductive to the goals we aspire for in the gym.

I religiously note down my heart rate, calories burned (at least what the machine tells me) and what resistance settings the machine is at during my session. What I have consistently observed is that heart rate is a very good indicator of overtraining. When I do too many sessions, or don't have enough nutrition or sleep or whatever, I exceed my 65-70% limit of max heart rate at significantly lower resistance than otherwise. I have been taking it easy in the gym last week, and this morning, could push much harder (at least 10-15% harder) while keeping the heart rate in control.

A heart rate monitor is a cheap and very effective aid and is a must have for anyone serious about the effectiveness and quality of their workouts.

good info, never thought about heart rate being an indicator of over training.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
      good info, never thought about heart rate being an indicator of over training.
      Me either, but I guess it makes perfect sense

Comment

Yup I've noticed that when doing regular cardio, just brushed it off but that does make sense

Comment

Which HRM are you using?

I wore one religiously when cycling and learned how to really use it to my advantage. Some new HRM tech is on the horizon and I am excited to see the chest strap go bye bye.

Comment

I have the basic Polar model, the RS100. Just tracks my HR, how long I have been in the zone and total calories burned (for what it is worth). I think there is a software that can help it interface to a PC to upload data, but I haven't tried to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
              I have the basic Polar model, the RS100. Just tracks my HR, how long I have been in the zone and total calories burned (for what it is worth). I think there is a software that can help it interface to a PC to upload data, but I haven't tried to do it.
              Thanks. I might pick that watch up next month. Does it display the time or is it only for hrm and stopwatch? Couldn't find the answer on Amazon.

Comment

It has a regular watch function as well. Probably has a stopwatch too, but I have only used the HRM function.

Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.polarusa.com/support_file...al_English.pdf

Comment

Thanks. I am going to pick one up.
                  Glad you started this thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X