Building a thick and wide back - Only 2 exercises needed says Phil Hernon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a thick and wide back - Only 2 exercises needed says Phil Hernon

"Working your back is kind of like saying we are working the front. No one exercise can attack all the areas needed to stimulate the muscles to grow. On the other hand all you need are two exercises.

1. Pull ups- shoulder width grip. Palms neutral preferably but if not available then palms forward. Arch back, chest high. Force elbows slightly forward to engage the lats. Pull as high as you can without losing back arch.

2. Two arm dumbbell rows- grab DBs, keep upper body parallel to floor. Knees bent, back arched and butt out with head forward. Rotate scapula at bottom of stretch but keep back arched .Neutral wrist position. Pull DBs as high as you can not losing form, to the side of your body.

Drop the cables. Drop the wide and narrow grip nonsense. Drop the one arm rows. Stick to these two as they are a backs best friend."

#1is always best!

Comment

Yeah ok buddy.

You can use the barbell instead of the dumbbell for the bent over rows. And you still need something like DL for your low back and lets not forget the seated rows for the bottom of your last to give you the nice V taper.

Like he says. You can't Attack all the areas of your back with only one or two exercise. You need to hit every possible angle.

What a douche bag.

Comment

I would say he is almost correct, personally if I had only two exercises they would be pulldown/up.and bent row although I'd select barbell.

The bent row engages the same muscles and more as a dead lift

Comment

I actually disagree with core building exercises like deads beast. Squats and deads build a thicker waist. neither movement ever felt right for me no matter how light or heavy.

for me the goal is to have the smallest possible core with everything else as wide and blown up as possible.

before you jump on me, i care little for strength and shit like that.

Comment

What is he so particular about a 2-armed DB row vs one arm at a time?

Comment

thoughts?

"I do not recommend dead lifts. It is the same movement as a deep squat with a twist of still leg dead lifts. I choose those two over dead lifts as it is repetitive. I'll go over that on quad day."

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                What is he so particular about a 2-armed DB row vs one arm at a time?
                "I would not support my trunk with a bench while training back. You dont want to be that restricted as it will then turn into a rear delt exercise. Same with 1 arm rows........all rear delt/traps. We need shoulder blade and shoulder cuff rotation....."

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  I actually disagree with core building exercises like deads beast. Squats and deads build a thicker waist. neither movement ever felt right for me no matter how light or heavy.

for me the goal is to have the smallest possible core with everything else as wide and blown up as possible.

before you jump on me, i care little for strength and shit like that.
                  What do you do to build lat thickness?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                    What do you do to build lat thickness?
                    over head extensions, pull downs, rows.

Comment

Hows about you post the entire article or w.e. you keep getting these quotes from.

I want to see what he has to say about all his work outs.

Comment

FAK. Read the title wrong. I thought this was HEATH.

Guys got (had) a great physique though

Thick and wide indeed

Comment

Originally posted by COLOSSUS View Post
                          Hows about you post the entire article or w.e. you keep getting these quotes from.

I want to see what he has to say about all his work outs.
                          not an article, its a million page question and answer with about 50 comments from idiots in between his responses. trust me, you want me to do the work here. lol

Comment

not an article, its a million page question and answer with about 50 comments from idiots in between his responses. trust me, you want me to do the work here. lol
                            THEN CHOP CHOP SON!:rofl::weights:

Comment

over head extensions, pull downs, rows.
                              Overhead extension? Anyway to me abent row also uses core

Comment

Working...
                              X