Feel like I'm in a rut with my shoulders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel like I'm in a rut with my shoulders

I do shoulders and traps together. Seems like I'm in a rut - I am doing the same stuff.. need to shake things up.

My routine has been DB shoulder press (typically seated), side raises and bent-over side raises (or hit rear delts on the pec-deck machine), followed by DB shrugs.

Any other ideas on what I can do to add some variety? I go for 3 to 4 working sets each, about 12-15 reps. I am picking weights that I can do with perfect form and my shoulders are burning by the time I hit the last rep.

I don't like barbell presses because my gym does not have a good setup to do BB press with a backrest and I hate doing shoulder presses without the backrest because I feel like I am not isolating the shoulders as effectively (same reason why I don't typically do DB presses standing).

Anyone do presses on the machine? How about Arnold presses? I used to do those but haven't in a while. And with side raises, do you move the DBs in an arc kinda in front of you, or do you bring it all the way to horizontal in line with your body? I am thinking of varying the angle and seeing if it hits the muscle differently.

I kick the shit out of.shoulders, think they're the most important bodypart

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      I do shoulders and traps together. Seems like I'm in a rut - I am doing the same stuff.. need to shake things up.

My routine has been DB shoulder press (typically seated), side raises and bent-over side raises (or hit rear delts on the pec-deck machine), followed by DB shrugs.

Any other ideas on what I can do to add some variety? I go for 3 to 4 working sets each, about 12-15 reps. I am picking weights that I can do with perfect form and my shoulders are burning by the time I hit the last rep.

I don't like barbell presses because my gym does not have a good setup to do BB press with a backrest and I hate doing shoulder presses without the backrest because I feel like I am not isolating the shoulders as effectively (same reason why I don't typically do DB presses standing).

Anyone do presses on the machine? How about Arnold presses? I used to do those but haven't in a while. And with side raises, do you move the DBs in an arc kinda in front of you, or do you bring it all the way to horizontal in line with your body? I am thinking of varying the angle and seeing if it hits the muscle differently.
      Let me ask you this. When you train delts do you feel them burning and pumped? Or do you just sort of go through a set number of reps and sets and move on? You have to feel what you are training. On db shoulder presses for example, try holding them at the top for a few seconds then slowly down.

Side raises, yea in the arc in front. I raise up till the db's are about ear level. Make sure you arent going to heavy and lifting with your traps. you want your delts to lift most of the weight.

For rear delts i find that the reverse pec dec machine is much better at targeting the area. with db's its so easy to "assist" the movement with other muscles in the back and traps.

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
      I kick the shit out of.shoulders, think they're the most important bodypart
      Really? That's all you have to contribute? Bro, if you are going to be lazy with a reply just dont even fucken bother. How about some fucken advice for the guy?

Comment

Yep, absolutely feel my delts on fire by the last rep. I used to go heavy but now I backed off to where I can really feel the weight going up and down in control.

With the side raises like you said, I concentrate on pulling with the delts instead of making the mistake of jerking the weights up with the wrists which is easy to do.

Got to remember to hold it at the top, good tip.

Comment

Got to remember to hold it at the top, good tip.
          dont go crazy with it and hold it to long. should be more like a slow down at the top then a complete stop.

Comment

I throw front raises in the mix. Front Plate Raise Exercise Guide and Video

Comment

Originally posted by paulie walnuts View Post
              I throw front raises in the mix. Front Plate Raise Exercise Guide and Video
              I do them with DB's with the slightly angled. Feel like I can get a better grip and control the movement better then a plate.

Comment

I'll try out the front raises but frankly I've always considered them a waste of time. They hit primarily the front delts which get hit hard by every other pressing exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  Let me ask you this. When you train delts do you feel them burning and pumped? Or do you just sort of go through a set number of reps and sets and move on? You have to feel what you are training. On db shoulder presses for example, try holding them at the top for a few seconds then slowly down.

Side raises, yea in the arc in front. I raise up till the db's are about ear level. Make sure you arent going to heavy and lifting with your traps. you want your delts to lift most of the weight.

For rear delts i find that the reverse pec dec machine is much better at targeting the area. with db's its so easy to "assist" the movement with other muscles in the back and traps.

Really? That's all you have to contribute? Bro, if you are going to be lazy with a reply just dont even fucken bother. How about some fucken advice for the guy?
                  ouch lol

what got into you grouch ass
                  Last edited by Mr I; 03-16-13, 06:35 AM. Reason: , I'm telling him.he needs to train them hard,.some muscles are about feel, with shoulders its intensity

Comment

I do them with DB's with the slightly angled. Feel like I can get a better grip and control the movement better then a plate.
                    Sounds like what I do, never did them with the plate...maybe I'll switch that up and see if theres a diffrence in it.:thumup:

Comment

Maybe lower the weight....AND do 10 sets of each exercise for shoulders.. this will help REVAMP a workout.

Comment

I'll try out the front raises but frankly I've always considered them a waste of time. They hit primarily the front delts which get hit hard by every other pressing exercise.
                        agreed. there's no use for them unless your front delts are underdeveloped.

Comment

Side raises, yea in the arc in front. I raise up till the db's are about ear level. Make sure you arent going to heavy and lifting with your traps.
                          This ^ I can never avoid it seems front side or rear my traps get pumped always.

Comment

Try baby oil perhaps you can slip free:rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                              Try baby oil perhaps you can slip free:rofl:

Comment

Working...
                              X