No announcement yet.

Do flyes have any mass building value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do flyes have any mass building value?

I'm generally finishing chest up with 3 sets of flyes but I wonder if I am wasting my time with them. Maybe as pre-exhaustion they are useful, but I wonder if flyes have any value as a basic mass building exercise. Opinions?

IMO no...Dips do and DB presses as well. I speak only from my experience; I have a big chest.

Comment

Yep, that's my routine... 4 sets of flat DB presses, followed by 4 sets of weighted dips. Not sure if I need to add anything else though. As I mentioned in my other thread, I just can't seem to do inclines.. something in my shoulder just doesn't like the angle and I've hurt myself more often doing inclines than any other exercise.

Comment

When you do dips, how is your posture?

Straight or leaning really forward?

Comment

I try to it leaning forward, as I want to hit chest more than tris. I usually add a plate to a weight belt and try to get 10-12 reps. I follow up my chest with other tricep exercises(my Monday workout is chest and tris).

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
            I try to it leaning forward, as I want to hit chest more than tris. I usually add a plate to a weight belt and try to get 10-12 reps. I follow up my chest with other tricep exercises(my Monday workout is chest and tris).
            Leave tri's out and only do chest...mine looks like this;

chest
            arms
            back
            legs/hams/calfs
            delts

My point to this is I specifically work THAT group. I don't do anymore that push/push /pull/pull stuff. I concentrate only on chest. I warm up with dips, 3 sets of 20 no weight and I really lean forward.

Do my regular sets and then finish with dips leaning really forward but this is mostly to stretch the fascia out even more after my training.

Comment

I'm hoping so because my shoulders are fucked and I can't bench anymore

Comment

Yes
                110lb incline dumbbell flyes - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                  I'm generally finishing chest up with 3 sets of flyes but I wonder if I am wasting my time with them. Maybe as pre-exhaustion they are useful, but I wonder if flyes have any value as a basic mass building exercise. Opinions?
                  With your current goals in mind I would say yes you are wasting your time with flyes. Experiment a little. Drop flyes and only do basic presses/dips for a couple months. You can always add them back in later.

Comment

yes

I would try warming up with fly's instead of at the end of the work out.

Comment

I posted on your other post too. I'd try all the hammer machines. Chest press, incline press and the decline press.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAST View Post
                        I posted on your other post too. I'd try all the hammer machines. Chest press, incline press and the decline press.

Yea forgot about those...I like them alot:thumup::weights:

Comment

Yeah, I'll add those. Thanks!

Comment

I love doing cable flies. I pretend I'm squeezing a quarter between my pecs. Always get a good burn in my pecs that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin View Post
                              Leave tri's out and only do chest...mine looks like this;

chest
                              arms
                              back
                              legs/hams/calfs
                              delts
                              I might do something like that later this year, but for now, I'm going to see how this split goes:

Mon - Chest/Tris
                              Tue - Legs
                              Wed - Back/bis
                              Thu - Shoulders
                              Fri - Legs

Sat/Sun - running/stretching/hiking, etc. No lifting. During the week, I might run in the morning, or for a half hour after lifting if I have time.

Comment

Working...
                              X