Why Do We Get Muscle Cramps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do We Get Muscle Cramps?

Ask Healthy Living: Why Do We Get Muscle Cramps?

I always say a cramping muscle is a weak muscle. when i say weak it could be you beat it to death and made it weak. or your just weak,lol
    they kinda hint to that in the read but give no real answer

Comment

It's something to do with salt in the blood and dehydration

Comment

Fluid and electrolyte imbalance. Or very tired/overworked muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
          This

Comment

How come every time I do cardio after training upper body my legs cramp on the treadmill but they NEVER cramp after I train legs? Just a blood flow thing?

Comment

Lack of sodium is what causes the electrolyte imbalance

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
                Lack of sodium is what causes the electrolyte imbalance
                false. could be sweating, could be drinking too much fluid, could be a number of things. you and rocket need to go hang out in know it all corner and stfu when you arent certain. xoxo

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  How come every time I do cardio after training upper body my legs cramp on the treadmill but they NEVER cramp after I train legs? Just a blood flow thing?

Dehydrated? Honestly alcohol plays a big part in cramping for some people, too. I know you like to drink, and you could be less hydrated than you think.

Comment

Sodium is one of the main positively charged mineral ions or electrolytes in body fluid. The body needs it to help maintain normal body-fluid balance and blood pressure, and in conjunction with several other electrolytes, it is critical for nerve impulse generation and muscle contraction. Sodium is distributed widely in nature but is found in rather small amounts in most unprocessed foods. In most developed countries, however, a significant amount of sodium is added from the salt shaker (1 teaspoon [6 g] contains 2,325 milligrams of sodium) or by food manufacturers in processing (as listed on the food label). Because sodium intake can vary, the typical Western diet contains 10 to 12 grams of salt (3.9 to 4.7 g of sodium) per day.

Because sodium plays an important role in regulating blood pressure and fluid and electrolyte balance, the body has an effective mechanism to help regulate the levels of sodium in the blood on a variety of sodium intakes. If the sodium concentration in the blood starts to drop, a series of complex events leads to the secretion of a hormone called aldosterone, which signals the kidneys to retain sodium. If sodium levels are too high, aldosterone secretion is inhibited, which allows the kidneys to eliminate some sodium through urination. Another hormone, called antidiuretic hormone (ADH), also helps maintain normal sodium levels in body fluids by signaling the kidney to retain water and sodium. Typically, levels of both aldosterone and ADH increase during exercise, which helps conserve the body’s water and sodium stores.

Actual sodium-deficient states caused by inadequate dietary sodium are not common because the body’s regulatory mechanisms are typically very effective. Humans even have a natural appetite for salt, which helps assure that they take in enough sodium to maintain sodium balance. Indeed, I have great memories of eating salty tortilla chips wet with a little water—so more salt would stick—after long cycling races in Arizona. Thankfully, these sodium-conserving mechanisms are activated in athletes who lose excessive sodium and other electrolytes during prolonged sweating.

Although muscle cramps are reported to occur during the sodium-deficient state, some researchers believe that alterations in sodium balance are not involved in exercise-associated cramps. This is despite the fact that significantly lower postexercise serum sodium concentrations have been found in endurance athletes who experienced cramps during a race compared to those who did not develop cramps. One of the reasons this is downplayed may be because serum sodium concentrations remain within the normal range, despite being significantly lower in the athletes with muscle cramps.

Nevertheless, it is important for athletes to consume enough sodium to replace what is lost through sweat. Despite the regulatory mechanisms discussed earlier, it is possible for vegetarian athletes to be at risk for muscle cramps and other problems because of low sodium intake. The reason is most likely because they ignore their salt craving cues—eating mostly unprocessed and unsalted foods—while continuing to lose considerable salt through sweating. The recommendation set by the USDA’s Dietary Guidelines for Americans to keep sodium intake to 2.3 grams or less per day is not appropriate for most athletes because of their higher sodium losses. Thus, while it is not likely that low sodium intake is the cause of cramps in most athletes, it is certainly possible that a vegetarian athlete prudently following a low-sodium diet for health reasons might experience muscle cramps that would be relieved with more liberal use of the salt shaker.

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
                      Sodium is one of the main positively charged mineral ions or electrolytes in body fluid. The body needs it to help maintain normal body-fluid balance and blood pressure, and in conjunction with several other electrolytes, it is critical for nerve impulse generation and muscle contraction. Sodium is distributed widely in nature but is found in rather small amounts in most unprocessed foods. In most developed countries, however, a significant amount of sodium is added from the salt shaker (1 teaspoon [6 g] contains 2,325 milligrams of sodium) or by food manufacturers in processing (as listed on the food label). Because sodium intake can vary, the typical Western diet contains 10 to 12 grams of salt (3.9 to 4.7 g of sodium) per day. Because sodium plays an important role in regulating blood pressure and fluid and electrolyte balance, the body has an effective mechanism to help regulate the levels of sodium in the blood on a variety of sodium intakes. If the sodium concentration in the blood starts to drop, a series of complex events leads to the secretion of a hormone called aldosterone, which signals the kidneys to retain sodium. If sodium levels are too high, aldosterone secretion is inhibited, which allows the kidneys to eliminate some sodium through urination. Another hormone, called antidiuretic hormone (ADH), also helps maintain normal sodium levels in body fluids by signaling the kidney to retain water and sodium. Typically, levels of both aldosterone and ADH increase during exercise, which helps conserve the body's water and sodium stores. Actual sodium-deficient states caused by inadequate dietary sodium are not common because the body's regulatory mechanisms are typically very effective. Humans even have a natural appetite for salt, which helps assure that they take in enough sodium to maintain sodium balance. Indeed, I have great memories of eating salty tortilla chips wet with a little water--so more salt would stick--after long cycling races in Arizona. Thankfully, these sodium-conserving mechanisms are activated in athletes who lose excessive sodium and other electrolytes during prolonged sweating. Although muscle cramps are reported to occur during the sodium-deficient state, some researchers believe that alterations in sodium balance are not involved in exercise-associated cramps. This is despite the fact that significantly lower postexercise serum sodium concentrations have been found in endurance athletes who experienced cramps during a race compared to those who did not develop cramps. One of the reasons this is downplayed may be because serum sodium concentrations remain within the normal range, despite being significantly lower in the athletes with muscle cramps. Nevertheless, it is important for athletes to consume enough sodium to replace what is lost through sweat. Despite the regulatory mechanisms discussed earlier, it is possible for vegetarian athletes to be at risk for muscle cramps and other problems because of low sodium intake. The reason is most likely because they ignore their salt craving cues--eating mostly unprocessed and unsalted foods--while continuing to lose considerable salt through sweating. The recommendation set by the USDA's Dietary Guidelines for Americans to keep sodium intake to 2.3 grams or less per day is not appropriate for most athletes because of their higher sodium losses. Thus, while it is not likely that low sodium intake is the cause of cramps in most athletes, it is certainly possible that a vegetarian athlete prudently following a low-sodium diet for health reasons might experience muscle cramps that would be relieved with more liberal use of the salt shaker.
                      You have great memories of eating wet tortilla chips?

The average person gets more than enough sodium in their diet.

"Some researchers believe that alterations in sodium balance are not involved in exercise associated cramps" So which point are you trying to convey, Red? :)

Comment

The average person gets more than enough sodium in their diet. :)
                        The average person doesn't get muscle cramps

Comment

I am vegetarian and I get a boatload of sodium every day.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                            false. could be sweating, could be drinking too much fluid, could be a number of things. you and rocket need to go hang out in know it all corner and stfu when you arent certain. xoxo
                            Um I said what FB said other than the sodium bull shit so why I hang in corner?
                            Let's face it your legs are small and weak that's why you cramp. Mine are big and strong no probkem

Comment

It's all about the sodium. Just eat more sodium bro and stfu :D

Comment

Working...
                              X