Bodybuilding - What works for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodybuilding - What works for you?

I'm about to create a new routine for my brother in law and I to hit next week and wanted some feedback from my fellow gorillas.

I'm playing with rep ranges in relation to the muscle. For instance, higher reps for chest, traps, and quads, lower reps for triceps and mid back, etc.

One thing that has always been hard to stay on track with, for me, is when to go heavy. Ego kicks in at times and I want to maintain certain strength levels, but then I remember what my goal is which is how I look, not strength. So, it's a constant battle for me.

What do you guys do in terms of cycling heavy days?
    Go big or go home. I always go heavy
    50.00%
    I never go heavy, I work the muscle contraction.
    0.00%
    I cycle my heavy days weekly.
    50.00%
    Fuck if I know, I just lift bro
    0.00%

My personal rule or "advice" would be to always go as heavy as possible BUT do so in a controlled manner for 10-12 reps range for 3 sets. "Maxing out" builds ego only IMO.

Comment

I usually start with 6-7 sets in my first exercise starting light and then going heavy for 6 reps. My 2nd exercise is usually high rep for 4 sets. My 3rd exercise is heavy for 3 sets, usually 5 or 6 reps. Lastly, depending on the muscles I'm working, I'll end with 4 sets of 20 reps if it's chest or shoulders. If it's back, I'll end usually heavy.

Comment

Is he new to the gym? What are his goals? Is he overweight?

Varity is best light, medium, heavey but I learned from B a long time ago to not ego lift. control the weight you will see better results.

Comment

Originally posted by jack tors View Post
          Is he new to the gym? What are his goals? Is he overweight?

Varity is best light, medium, heavey but I learned from B a long time ago to not ego lift. control the weight you will see better results.

New to the gym - nope
          Goals - Just keep trying to perfect what I have.
          Overweight - uhhhhh....no comment lol. I'm probably sitting at 15% body fat right now at 230lbs. Definitely not a beach body, but I'm definitely not a beach person so fuck it.

I guess the real question should have been how often your rep ranges fall below 10 reps which would indicate some grinding sets. For instance, last week I felt like moving heavier weight so I did 3 x 8 with 295 on flat bench, then 3 x 10 225 incline, and then finished with some flys. Yesterday I did sets of 12 for everyhing, lowered the weight to 225 for flat and then 205 for incline. Today my chest is tore up.

It just makes me wonder if those heavy grinding sets with rep ranges below 10 are really doing anything for growth or if it just boosts the ego to move heavier weight.

Comment

heavy weight definitely plays a role in building size. I've increased my poundages since starting deca and I've definitely put on size.

but lifting heavy shouldn't mean doing 2 reps of a swinging whole body curl. lol.

Comment

Bouncer, I agree. I'm talking about those sets of like 5 reps where every set is a grinding set. Form is good, but you're straining to complete every set. I thought I've read some articles that this can work against you if you train like that too often.

I had my best size and strength gains doing 5 x 5 rest pause on bench, but I eventually stalled with that program and moved on. I'm really just exploring other techniques to spark some new growth. Keep in mind I'm only on testosterone for TRT which is keeping my test levels at about 700-900 max. Diet will play a major role in it too. I was just curious if some of you cycle which days you'll go heavy to avoid depleting yourself too much. For instance, I can't go all out on squats, deadlifts, and bench in the same week.

Comment

I get ya wheyman. In that case I say go for it. 5 reps of controlled yet balls to the wall intensity can definitely help get you over that hump.

just make sure that you are using that technique in the right way. if you do nothing but 5 rep sets you will be selling yourself short.

Comment

Working...
                X