Rack pulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack pulls

How many of you guys/girls add this in your routine?

I throw this in as my 2nd exercise every other week when I do back. Noticed in myself and my clients a thicker back, more defined back, and larger traps without doing traps exercises.

My sets typically look like this.

Set 1: 135lbs for 10
    Set 2: 225lbs for 10
    Set 3: 315lbs for 8
    Set 4: 315lbs for 6-8
    Set 5: 225lbs for 10

We really focus on squeezing our backs during the contraction and bringing the weight down slow.

One question I do have is, do you guys/girls believe doing rack pulls will cause a larger and thicker waist?

I like rack pulls now and then. I get a great contraction in the middle of my back. As for the waist I think it should be OK as long as you aren't using a belt and pushing the belly out against it. I would keep it beltless and use internal abdominal pressure. Keep the weight lighter if need be.

Comment

None of us use belts, and we all try to keep our core tight throughout the movement

Comment

I think you should be fine bro.

Comment

Looks good

I will start rack pulls once I'm back at it hard

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
            One question I do have is, do you guys/girls believe doing rack pulls will cause a larger and thicker waist?
            No, especially the way your doing them

Comment

Originally posted by jack tors View Post
              No, especially the way your doing them
              Can you explain on that please. In your opinion, when do you think the waist thickens and gets larger?

Comment

I think its one of those myths. Your not pushing super heavy weights and controlling the movement. If your a pro bbld'er yeah I can see a concern. 8 weeks out from a show. I deadlift over 600lbs every 2 weeks and have a 32" waist. You will get a blockier thicker look esp lower trap/lat not aestically pleasing to bblding shows...with

Comment

Interesting Jack. Thanks for your input

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
                    Can you explain on that please. In your opinion, when do you think the waist thickens and gets larger?
                    if your talking about the thick waist and guts you see on stage its a combo of things. yes super heavy power movements can have an effect. but mostly it's due to drugs allowing you to process more food to turn into muscle. so in effect you have force feeding and expansion just like an obese person only there is no external bodyfat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                      if your talking about the thick waist and guts you see on stage its a combo of things. yes super heavy power movements can have an effect. but mostly it's due to drugs allowing you to process more food to turn into muscle. so in effect you have force feeding and expansion just like an obese person only there is no external bodyfat.
                      I'm talking more about a thicker waist line, not so much a gut sticking out.

Looking back at Boston Loyd and Regan Grimes, they have narrow and small waists. I was wondering if doing rack pulls will make that waist line thicker as I move up in weights and reps

Comment

Yes it will but that more depends on genetics. Just like some people don't train calves and they have huge ones. Others kill calves and nothing happens. Depends on whether or not the muscles of the waist respond just like any other muscle.

Comment

No it won't because your not taking it off the floor

Also less rusk to the lower back

Watch how dorian Yates deadlifts at the end of his back routine

That's why he still has a healthy back

Comment

Thanks a lot for good information Jack
                            I'm the begginer and any information is useful

Comment

Originally posted by Mr I View Post
                              No it won't because your not taking it off the floor

Also less rusk to the lower back

Watch how dorian Yates deadlifts at the end of his back routine

That's why he still has a healthy back
                              So you're saying a traditional deadlift off the ground will create a thicker waist?

Comment

Working...
                              X