Negitives on smith machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negitives on smith machine

wondering about doing negatives for bench press on smith machine once a week to try and improve strength.. Thoughts?
    I started using the smith machine once a week about a month ago to work a bit heavier for me as I always train alone doing flat and incline bench press. I know its not the same but ya can get a great work out with it. I also started doing decline on the actual decline bench. Normally just do dumbbells up to 75 lbs for sets, but I started working with the full bar again. I remember years ago we would do negative's once a week on the flat bench with heavy weight for me. it seemed to help get a great pump and really use the muscles and break them down.

damn..a thread not about enjoying life:rofl:

i think anytime you add anything new to the mix it's a good thing. It's important not to get yourself into the same old routine where you sort of just go through the motions. Every once in awhile I'll throw in a different exercise that I don't usually do and the next day I'm sore in a different spot so that's a good thing.

That said, I never do any sort of barbell bench. All dumbells. I feel that it hits the muscle more and allows the body to move in a more natural way compared to barbell that sort of locks the movement in place. If you do mostly barbell stuff I definitly recomend changing it up to dumbells here and there.

Comment

No, I never work with barbells, as I said just starting to again a little bit to work heavier. I normally just work with dumbbells.

Comment

I work with barbells, Smith machine, and dumbells all the time. Going back to the original post, I prefer negatives on the flat bench. It uses more than just chest and hits everything. If you want isolation, then do the Smith.

I also have to mix it up between DB's and barbell. I feel like it gives me an amazing workout and a pump that burns

Comment

I get what your saying lip and I agree. Just be sure you have stoppers in place to prevent it getting stuck on your upper chest or neck if your working alone.

Comment

I grew my bench better on smith machine than barbell. I got to eight plates on smith which didnt all translate to barbell but I would have not gotten stronger on barbell bench without smith. Smith is good because you can keep 'pushing' all the way until you rack the bar. With barbell alot of energy is spent trying to balance the bar at the top of the movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr I View Post
              I get what your saying lip and I agree. Just be sure you have stoppers in place to prevent it getting stuck on your upper chest or neck if your working alone.
              Exactly what Im doing due to always working out solo I can work heavier this way and not have to worry. I can push myself harder:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
                I work with barbells, Smith machine, and dumbells all the time. Going back to the original post, I prefer negatives on the flat bench. It uses more than just chest and hits everything. If you want isolation, then do the Smith.

I also have to mix it up between DB's and barbell. I feel like it gives me an amazing workout and a pump that burns
                Agree completly but cant really get full effect of negative without having a spotter. I hate asking for spots then ya start conversation and next thing ya know ya got a gym buddy...:rofl: I go in gym hit it and get out.:thumb:

Comment

the smith is excellent but to me it seems like you have to decide how serious you are about training and lifting.
                  I'm sure there are many other changes that need to be made. I'd start off with a realistic goal. Then develop a plan.

Comment

Lip1, you ever do dips or weighted dips?

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
                      Lip1, you ever do dips or weighted dips?
                      Yep 4 sets of 15 each. Then 3 sets of 10 with the "Mr.T" chain on back shoulderdays

Comment

Originally posted by jack tors View Post
                        the smith is excellent but to me it seems like you have to decide how serious you are about training and lifting.
                        I'm sure there are many other changes that need to be made. I'd start off with a realistic goal. Then develop a plan.
                        Serious? Really? I'm always in the gym training and do well for what my goals are. I have no desire to be a body builder. I work out to stay fit. Healthy and continue my outdoor hobbies.

That don't mean I can't work on other goals or it Damn sure don't mean I'm not serious... That's kinda funny actually

Comment

You aren't serious unless your taking at least a gram of gear IMO. You, scrum, and Dana don't take any of this very serious. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                            You aren't serious unless your taking at least a gram of gear IMO. You, scrum, and Dana don't take any of this very serious. :D
                            What if I get on your beloved creatine would I be serious then:clapback:

Comment

Make sure it's monohydrate and I'll consider you 25% serious. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X