Lower Bodyfat and Cramping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Bodyfat and Cramping

So all winter I was something like 12-15% bodyfat. Had not a single issue with cramping in the gym or at home. Now that summer season is here I've dropped down closer to 10% and I'm cramping a few times a week. I'm drinking the same amount of liquid as I was when I was higher bf% and I'm taking in the same amount of sodium. Any ideas?

Get fat

Comment

Maybe try a magnesium and potassium suppliment. Some people add trace minerals to their water as well.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Lemon water helped me through. A banana helps Too

Comment

Anyone have any idea what the connection between bodyfat and cramping is?

Comment

And btw...camping is primarily associated with dehydration

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
              And btw...camping is primarily associated with dehydration
              Yea I get that. But notice I said I'm drinking the same amount of fluids and taking in the same amount of sodium as I was when my diet had more cals. So that can't be it. Plus I get up, have coffee, have a scoop of protein and a banana and hit the gym. So I even got the potassium thing covered before the gym.

Wondering if it has something to do with bodyfat holding water so you have more reserves compared to being leaner. I dunno.

Comment

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/201...muscle-cramps/

You need more water. Simple math.

Lower bodyfat is also less water retention. You can't be lean and full of water. Goes hand in hand;lean less water.

I've managed it fairly well with lemon water and taurine. It's been night and day since adding taurine.

Comment

Dehydrayiom is the #1 cause but there are other causes as well.

"Dehydration: Sports and other vigorous activities can cause excessive fluid loss from perspiration. This kind of dehydration increases the likelihood of true cramps. These cramps are more likely to occur in warm weather and can be an early sign of heat stroke. Chronic volume depletion of body fluids from diuretics (medicine that promote urination) and poor fluid intake both lead to dehydration and may act similarly to predispose to cramps, especially in older people. Sodium depletion has also been associated with cramps. Loss of sodium.

Low blood calcium or magnesium: Low blood levels of either calcium or magnesium directly increase the excitability of both the nerve endings and the muscles they stimulate. This may be a predisposing factor for the spontaneous true cramps experienced by many older adults, as well as for those muscle cramps that are commonly noted during pregnancy. Low levels of calcium and magnesium are common in pregnant women unless these minerals are supplemented in the diet. Cramps are seen in any circumstance that decreases the availability of calcium or magnesium in body fluids, such as taking diuretics, hyperventilation (overbreathing), excessive vomiting, inadequate calcium and/or magnesium in the diet, inadequate calcium absorption due to vitamin D deficiency, poor function of the parathyroid glands (tiny glands in the neck that regulate calcium balance), and other conditions.

Low potassium: Low potassium blood levels occasionally cause muscle cramps, although it is more common for low potassium to be associated with muscle weakness."

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                    So all winter I was something like 12-15% bodyfat. Had not a single issue with cramping in the gym or at home. Now that summer season is here I've dropped down closer to 10% and I'm cramping a few times a week. I'm drinking the same amount of liquid as I was when I was higher bf% and I'm taking in the same amount of sodium. Any ideas?
                    Only idea I have is keep your ass away from Costco's :rofl:

on a serious note I have to agree with rado..the leaner you get..the less water you will hold...that equals less water to muscles.. which in turn leads to more cramps.:agreed:

Comment

I was wondering, have you increased the amount of natural diuretics in your diet?

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
                        I was wondering, have you increased the amount of natural diuretics in your diet?
                        What does that mean?

This is literally all I eat.

Chicken breast, oats, peas, avacado, eggs, bananas, protein powder, coffee in morning, Gatorade in pwo shake.

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
                          Just say coffee bro lol. Fucks sake :thumup:

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                            What does that mean?

This is literally all I eat.

Chicken breast, oats, peas, avacado, eggs, bananas, protein powder, coffee in morning, Gatorade in pwo shake.
                            He meant coffee, but sounding super anglosaxon American

Comment

Coffee is the only diauretic. I thought you might have increased them because your bp is a little high. Diuretics reduce fluid retention, i.e. reduce pressure on artery walls. I make sure I eat asparigus, onion, blueberries, 72% cocoa chocolate, cucumbers, coffee, tea, and green beans. I suppliments my potassium and magnesium because diuretics flush it out of my body.

Comment

Working...
                              X